What's new

i dont see much talk about dovo and other higher end razors

I've got a little stable of modestly priced vintage blades and a few Gold Dollars lying around. A local shop sells new Dovo's, their more budget friendly options seem lacking in comparison to the vintage blades I already own. Personally around the $50 mark I'd be looking for something on the B/S/T.

It also sounds like you already have enough abrasive power to deal with Gold Dollars, I've honed 6 or 7 and all have come up fine after a bit of time on my DMT D8C. They're stupidly cheap but are not the most elegant of razors.

I really like SRP, there's a wealth of archive info & a good number of really knowledgeable people actively posting.

One Wostenholm is on it's way. As well a a nice piece from Eskilstuna. What else do I absolutely need:)?

You need:

Greaves
George Brittain
Marshes & Shepherd
Thomas Turner
Harrison Howson
Packwood
Joseph Rodgers
Mappin Bros
Tally Ho
George Savage
Thomas Tillotson

:lol:

I have no razors above 100$. The only new one I have is a Gold dollar that was rescaled and honed up by one great member here and sent to me as a suprise.

Haha. I don't know any of these manufacturers. There's still much out there...

Depending on who you talk to, uber-rare razors in good condition are the most high-end razors there are. The obscurity of historical artifacts makes them "high end." Additionally, some of these makers held royal warrants, i.e. their craftsmanship was so fine that they were permitted to supply the king/queen of England with cutlery, and their tangs will often state "cutlers to his/her/their majesty." I call that "high end" :biggrin1:

Of all the makers I listed, I see collectors coveting these the most. They are also by far the rarest, I'd say:
Marshes & Shepherd
George Brittain
George Savage

The ones that you will easily find a ton of on ebay:
Joseph Rodgers
Greaves

FYI, the reasons that many new straight shavers have never heard of most of the aforementioned makers I listed is because they're so rare that people hardly see them, collectors silently buy them up before the newbies drive the price up, and so few people have them that they are not talked about, or those of us "in the know" try to keep them quiet so a slurry of people don't compete with them for the purchase. There's a million wade and butchers floating around ebay, and the same goes with gold dollars. Wonder why these brands are talked about so much?

This year, i can count on one hand how many nice george brittains, packwoods, howsons, tillotsons, savages, and marshes that I've seen. Don't believe me? Try a search for these 6 makers. I think there's a single, overpriced packwood in poor condition for sale right now. To see the rest, you'll have to ask me for pictures of my collection :lol:

Last edited:
Depending on who you talk to, uber-rare razors in good condition are the most high-end razors there are. The obscurity of historical artifacts makes them "high end." Additionally, some of these makers held royal warrants, i.e. their craftsmanship was so fine that they were permitted to supply the king/queen of England with cutlery, and their tangs will often state "cutlers to his/her/their majesty." I call that "high end" :biggrin1:

Of all the makers I listed, I see collectors coveting these the most. They are also by far the rarest, I'd say:
Marshes & Shepherd
George Brittain
George Savage

The ones that you will easily find a ton of on ebay:
Joseph Rodgers
Greaves

FYI, the reasons that many new straight shavers have never heard of most of the aforementioned makers I listed is because they're so rare that people hardly see them, collectors silently buy them up before the newbies drive the price up, and so few people have them that they are not talked about, or those of us "in the know" try to keep them quiet so a slurry of people don't compete with them for the purchase. There's a million wade and butchers floating around ebay, and the same goes with gold dollars. Wonder why these brands are talked about so much?

This year, i can count on one hand how many nice george brittains, packwoods, howsons, tillotsons, savages, and marshes that I've seen. Don't believe me? Try a search for these 6 makers. I think there's a single, overpriced packwood in poor condition for sale right now. To see the rest, you'll have to ask me for pictures of my collection :lol:

And I thought my #14 Filarmonica, MK33 (soon to arrive), Goldedge, le Grelot and 8/8 W&B were high end...LOL. I should have blocked you. This post contains an acute risk of getting me into an unsane and most expensive new form of RAD.

I was wondering about the cheaper razor. I have a Ralf aust what's your opinions of that razor, and what would be a good new razor to put in to my rotation?

I own a new 6/8 Ralf Aust and it's an excellent blade. It arrived as sharp as any razor I've ever used. It shaves very well. I had to get used to the curve of the toe, but only because I had been using square-point razors a lot lately. I highly recommend it. He knows what he's doing.

Top Bottom