What's new

I Dont See A Reason To Try Shavette Straight Razor

Hey guys Iv tried traditional straight but I do not see a point to try shavette. It seems similar to de and a little less blade length. A worry I would have is the blade holder opening up just a personal fear probably would never happen it just seems more complicated. Im not knocking anyone but what are your guys thoughts?

I like straights but did try a shavette just out of curiosity and it had no appeal for me at all. No vibe, less forgiving than a straight, just no reason for me to like it.

It's not "complicated" or scary, it just holds none of the appeal of a straight for me.

I've never tried one myself, but I had a barber shop use that on me a few years back. I was not impressed by it.

I purchased one of these to try over the holiday's
71dcQw58YeL._SL1500_.jpg

And HATED it. Granted, I only used it once and for only 1/4 my face but its was not good. Razor felt flimsy in my hand, kept catching the corner of the blade on my skin and I just couldn't get the orientation right. While I'm sure some of that would have corrected with practice I just wasn't seeing the appeal.

I purchased one of these to try over the holiday's
View attachment 944571

And HATED it. Granted, I only used it once and for only 1/4 my face but its was not good. Razor felt flimsy in my hand, kept catching the corner of the blade on my skin and I just couldn't get the orientation right. While I'm sure some of that would have corrected with practice I just wasn't seeing the appeal.
Thanks for taking one for the team Mountain Man I appreciate it.

The only way I think I would ever try it is if i bought one of those expensive brand japanese ones that look exactly like straight razors but the pricing is way out for me unless your a barber.

I used a straight razor for a little more than a year in the mid-70s, but gave it up because of the high maintenance required. I've heard that, except for the lack of maintenance, shavettes aren't as good as straights. YMMV, but they have no appeal to me.

I used a straight razor for a little more than a year in the mid-70s, but gave it up because of the high maintenance required. I've heard that, except for the lack of maintenance, shavettes aren't as good as straights. YMMV, but they have no appeal to me.
Thanks xxvaleria

I was given the misinformation that shavettes are more forgiving than a properly honed and stropped straight.... This was very incorrect. I tried a similar one that was posted above and it felt awful and harsh.

My barber uses a hair shaper style on the back of my neck, even then it doesn't feel very good. If he wasn't a rockstar classic barber it would be a deal breaker

A straight razor shave is much more enjoyable due to the longer length of blade and the smoother edge.

But shevettes have there strong points. They don't need to be stroped or honed, basically they are maintenance free. I suffer from tendonitis and at a bad day stropping will cause pain to my hand so for such a day I'll pick up a shevette to shave with. And at days where I don't have much time and need to get a quick shave I will choose the shavette.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a Dovo DE shavette, and have used it more than my straights. It's a different feel, but no honing, stropping, or fear of rust. If I want a straight shave, but without all the peripheral hassle, I reach for the shavette.

I have one from the late 1980's.
Tried using it back then, with limited success. It is good for trimming around a beard/Van Dyke/mustache.

I was given the misinformation that shavettes are more forgiving than a properly honed and stropped straight.... This was very incorrect. I tried a similar one that was posted above and it felt awful and harsh.

My barber uses a hair shaper style on the back of my neck, even then it doesn't feel very good. If he wasn't a rockstar classic barber it would be a deal breaker
Sorry to hear about that snapper. And thanks to you all for inputs.

I recently bought a CJB/Greagor kamisori style knock off of the Feather DX. Maggards had on such a sale on Black Friday, that I couldn't resist. I wanted to use if for travel, without strops, etc.

I found it to be too sharp and harsh and nicked myself a lot. But, last week I got to try a Feather Proguard blade in it. It really shaved like a straight. So, I will be experimenting with it for an upcoming trip.

I have felt that sharpness and harshness before on some of my straights honed on synthetics. What works best for me is a finish on a thuri. Sharp and smooth.

Shavettes are awesome especially quality ones like the Feathers. I had straights when I first started & it was just another job to keep them shave ready plus the additional cost of hones & strops. When the blades dull just replace it..Ive never had a blade holder open on me yet & I have 3 Feathers as well as a Dovo. Each to their own but shavettes certainly have their place.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have thought about giving a shavette a try but I have not pulled the pin yet. My dad has his and his fathers straights in the shed that I will finish up with. If they are not too fat gone and are able to be restored I might wait for them and then at least try a straight before I die.

I got a Feather folding SS shavette for the experience before going to straight razors. A shavette or straight does not have a guard.

If you want a straight experience consider a GEM Micromatic SE type because it's a safer way to experience the angle of a shavette or straight, but with the guard.

outside of traditional straights, i’ve only tried the non-DE feather variants. very very nice. i dont think the shavette variants are going to open up, they seem to be pretty simple, my barber uses them to do back of neck and sideburns.

to ask everyone else, the length of the DE blades, are they really an issue if smaller kamisori edges appear similar in length.

I only used the feathers after I learned with a traditional. I no longer have the feathers, i just didnt want to use them as much as traditionals.

I have tried a vintage solingen germany straight awhile ago with good results sold it. straight is cool but just too costly for me. i will not shave with a straight if i have acne i will get cut.

Top Bottom