What's new

I Don't Love My Gillette 40s Super Speed

Don't hate me, I keep trying but I just can't get a close, comfortable shave. For example, I used a Voskhod Friday morning. Had a few weepers and remaining stubble under my chin as usual with the SS. This Sunday morning I put the same blade in my Parker Variant setting 2 and had a BBS shave with no blood, per the usual.

Blades I've tried in the Super Speed:
Derby
Feather
Silver Blue
Crystal
Voskhod
Astra

Razors I get good shaves with:
Gem OCMM
Parker Variant
Gillette Slim Adjustable
RazoRock Old Type Open Comb
RazoRock Mentor
Edwin Jagger DE89 (just ok)

At what point I should give up on the Super Speed? Anyone else not a fan or is it just me?

It's just me isn't it?

I knew it.

Some razors just don't perform to our needs. I broke out my 40's SS about a week ago and though the shave was passable, it lacked in the efficiency department for me.

Does your 40's style Superspeed have a date code?
There are two heads, the change came in 1951.

I prefer the no date code SS better.

Other than that, use what works great for you!

My first DE was a NDC SuperSpeed.
Perhaps it was my inexperience, but I changed to a Feather Popular and got better shaves.
I now have Red and Blue Tips, Krona, an Open Comb and others and all of them are quite nice to shave with.
Blades do affect the shave but, on the whole, I didn't have much success with the Superspeed.
Although I see lots of them on Fleabay, I have no desire to buy another.
Unreasonable prejudice, I know, but I can't shake it.

It's not just you.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It's just me isn't it?

A popular razor for many, me included. Just doesn't work for you and it looks like you've given it a fair chance. It's a shame but that's it.

I use a bit of pressure with mine, that's how I learned -- no stubble, no cuts.

Y1 1953.

What are you guys from New England up to today? #derailsownthread

Haha...yea my day is spent shuttling kids back and forth to work. I have 3 boys all employed, one had a car up until last Monday morning when he managed to total it in an accident on the way to school. Ah the joys of young adult hood.

I like all my Super Speeds. They're kind of like techs, you really need find and keep the angle. There isn't a very wide range of effective angles, but once you find it, it will give great results.

Haha...yea my day is spent shuttling kids back and forth to work. I have 3 boys all employed, one had a car up until last Monday morning when he managed to total it in an accident on the way to school. Ah the joys of young adult hood.

My 2 oldest are boys, 15 & 16. The 16 yo is not driving yet, I just can't take the stress. I remember what I was like at 16. He's not working but is doing a dual high school/college program and takes the city bus. He'll get my 1995 Chevy Blazer when the time comes. If it loses a headlight bulb it will be totalled. I've wrung the juice out of that one.

Try a no date code Superspeed, they're different!

May do some day when I get more experience. I like the functionality and simplicity of the Superspeed. If I had bought my Slim Adjustable first I may only own one razor. Sure.

My 2 oldest are boys, 15 & 16. The 16 yo is not driving yet, I just can't take the stress. I remember what I was like at 16. He's not working but is doing a dual high school/college program and takes the city bus. He'll get my 1995 Chevy Blazer when the time comes. If it loses a headlight bulb it will be totalled. I've wrung the juice out of that one.

Good plan. I hear you about the stress part :)

May do some day when I get more experience. I like the functionality and simplicity of the Superspeed. If I had bought my Slim Adjustable first I may only own one razor. Sure.
You might want to get into some serious business getting yourself a NEW.
Don't worry about your other razors, just give them to someone else!

The Super speeds are good razors, but I like the SS Flairs a little better. Though I may need to give then a little a another try soon. I think years do make a difference; I had a 1960 SS Flair that shaved me better that a 57 or 58. :thumbup1:

You might want to get into some serious business getting yourself a NEW.
Don't worry about your other razors, just give them to someone else!

My_spacebar_just_died.

My_wife_who_is_looking_over_my_shoulder_just_gave_you_the_same_look_she_gives_me_when_I_burp_out_loud_in_front_of_her_mother.

If the SS is not working for you, feel free to move on. Plenty of other razors to try.

That's what I was thinking. I usually wear Fruit of the Loom briefs but a couple of years ago I bought some Hanes on sale. They felt like wearing a thong backwards so I pitched them. At my age I probably only have 3 or 4 more packs of new underwear in my future.

Top Bottom