What's new

I don't like vetiver

Growing up in India - Khus..or vetiver..has been more than a perfume component. We infuse it in sherbets, add it to drinking water during the humid summers, air the room with moistened Khus mats and used the oil around religious ceremonies. It was only recently that I get to know it is used in high-end fragrances. To me, DR Harris Windsor smells like Khus/Vetiver.

Thanks for posting! I have had khus syrups from India and used them in water and over crushed ice. Very refreshing and an interesting flavor, given that it still does smell like any vetiver. I had heard about airing the room with khus mats, which sounds wonderful.

Growing up in India - Khus..or vetiver..has been more than a perfume component. We infuse it in sherbets, add it to drinking water during the humid summers, air the room with moistened Khus mats and used the oil around religious ceremonies. It was only recently that I get to know it is used in high-end fragrances. To me, DR Harris Windsor smells like Khus/Vetiver.

Interesting. Coincidentally, I am wearing DR Harris Windsor today and I do not really notice any vetiver in it. That may be because I am just not very well versed in the scent though.......

Interesting. Coincidentally, I am wearing DR Harris Windsor today and I do not really notice any vetiver in it. That may be because I am just not very well versed in the scent though.......

Though I haven't worn it, the notes profile looks a lot like what I was discussing earlier in this thread... There are a lot of scents that use Vetiver in the base, but it is not a prominent part of the scent. ( I never realized Vetiver is in Rive Gauche).

Generally, if the vet is a prominet player in the scent, the perfumer ncludeds it in the name of the scent.

About 8 years ago I walked into a store and smelled my uncle!!!....... I sniffed around until I came to the shelf that contained the vetivers. Ever since I wear it on a weekly basis. I have only used Royall Vetiver so I can't compare it to anything. But I do enjoy it.

View attachment 256631

I recently picked up a bottle of the Royall Vetiver. I have used their Lyme in the past but this is better. It has a limey background and lasts quite well. Seems like it should be more popular around here.

I just bought the Malizia Vetyver and it makes me sick to my stomach! ***!? How can a fragrance do that?? I've smelled many different frags that I didn't like, but never one that made me feel sick... I'm going to have to offload it.. and really didn't want to.

I was about to send Bill R a PM asking whether the CdG Vettiveru Series 4 was the same CdG vetiver he had picked up in Japan and had so kindly shared with me, when I checked in again with this thread.

I agree with everything TNH and BR say about this one. It was the only scent I took on a recent trip out of the country--which is somewhat misleading, because I thought I was heading toward the land of everywhere available fabulous frags, but it does say that I really like the scent and think it is very versitile. Although as TNH says, it is not labelled an edt, it seems pretty much edt strength to me. I really like vetivers and this one is a very nice one.

I've recently tried this one too. It's dry but good. Not that cheap as over there but very affordable too. To anyone that likes to use this type of vetivers that are designed to be used as a body spray I could recommend trying Vétyver by Côté Bastide. It's an EDT with EDC strength but more flowery and uplifting than CdG.

I love L'Occitane Vetyver. I find it similar to Gucci Envy, but more herbal. Don't like other vetiver scents. I like Cyril Salter vetiver shaving cream which has citrus peel undertones.

I just bought the Malizia Vetyver and it makes me sick to my stomach! ***!? How can a fragrance do that?? I've smelled many different frags that I didn't like, but never one that made me feel sick...

TOBS No 74 original does that to me. I don't even dislike the fragrance - it just causes a vomit reflex.

Gentlemen,

If you can find Floris Vetiver.
I am a big Vativer fan. And patchouley.
Also, if your are rich, check out Santa Maria Novella.And Lorenzo Villoressi.
SMN gets big positive on their Patch, and Vetiver.
Also, Lorenzo Villoressi does an interesting EDT.
He is very interesting EDT. I find them interesting, and exciting.
He has a nice following as well.

Enjoy
Jimmy

I don't have a lot of experience with vetivers. I'm just getting inot them really. I currently have Encre Noire and TF Grey Vetiver and they're both at the top of my favorite/most used bottles. I blind bought a bottle of Annick Goutal Vetiver and I was very split on how I felt about it. While it was a very nice scent, it was also very pungent and smelled like something straight for the 80's. I just don't think I'm at a point in my life and age that I could pull it off. I asked about some good ones on basenotes and quite a few people recommended 1902 Vetiver by Berdoues. I found it on ebay for like $30 and it actually has some really good reviews. Another one mentioned for cheap that should be good is Breath of God by Lush. Ive had some difficulty finding that one however.

I have commented several times that I do not like vetiver, and I have tried about 3. The other day, I wore my decant of Guerlain Vetiver and was still not impressed. A few days later, I wore it again (don't know why) and I still was not very impressed. For some odd reason, I decided to wear it again a few days later even though I do not really like it. I have no clue what happened. Divine intervention? I now love Gueralin Vetiver and just ordered another large decant. I don't know why or how this happened as I was never "so-so" on the vetiver. I really did not like it. And after some forced wearings, I may be in love. Strange.......

I suppose the only reasonable question is what vetiver should I try next (if any)? Or should I just stick with Guerlain. The two I have tried are Encre Noir and Prada Infusion Vetiver and they were not great. Smelled good on paper (and probably other people) but not on me. I have seen Lanvin Vetiver for pretty cheap, but it has garnered mostly negative reviews. Throw some ideas at me!

I was the exact same with Guerlain Vetiver. I ordered a 2.5ml decant last fall and tried it several times and never cared for it, the smoke/cigarette smell made me nauseous and this is coming from an ex-smoker. Anyway, fast forward to May this year and I magically start to love the stuff. The smokey aspect became appealing and a citrus note I hadn't noticed before appeared from nowhere, there are other notes in there I can't really identify yet with my unrefined schnoz but I love it. My decant started to run low and I found myself ordering a 100ml bottle to replace it. I had to rediscover how much to use, the small decant atomizer only spritzed a tiny amount but the atomizer on the 100ml bottle really hoses you down! I still can't tolerate earthy, dark/heavy Vetiver's..but who knows..maybe they will grow on me sometime in the future.

I love L'Occitane Vetyver. I find it similar to Gucci Envy, but more herbal. Don't like other vetiver scents. I like Cyril Salter vetiver shaving cream which has citrus peel undertones.

I prefer the L'occitane as well. I'm not good at describing scents but to me the L'occitane is more powdery. The classic Guerlain version smells too cloyingly sweet to me. I really liked the Tom Ford grey vetiver as well, but there is still that sweet vetiver note that put me off.

I'm not a fragrance wearer, but after trying L'Occitane Vetyver at their store, it's the only cologne I've smelled or sampled that I would actually wear. My wife also liked it, so I told her anytime she wants to buy it for me, I would wear it. We don't get to the mall that often, but it's on her list for the next trip.

I'm planning blind buys of Guerlain Vetiver and Encre Noir.

I like things on the grassier, earthier, mustier side of the spectrum - I hope they will make me happy.

I'm not a fragrance wearer, but after trying L'Occitane Vetyver at their store, it's the only cologne I've smelled or sampled that I would actually wear. My wife also liked it, so I told her anytime she wants to buy it for me, I would wear it. We don't get to the mall that often, but it's on her list for the next trip.

That's pretty cool that you found something that you and your wife both like, Brian. Keep us posted as to how often you wear it, and if you remain satisfied with just wearing that, or if you develop an interest in exploring others. I will admire and envy you if you are satisfied with this as your "signature" scent, but will certainly understand if you discovered a greater interest has been awakened. :thumbup1:

I was the exact same with Guerlain Vetiver. I ordered a 2.5ml decant last fall and tried it several times and never cared for it, the smoke/cigarette smell made me nauseous and this is coming from an ex-smoker. Anyway, fast forward to May this year and I magically start to love the stuff. The smokey aspect became appealing and a citrus note I hadn't noticed before appeared from nowhere, there are other notes in there I can't really identify yet with my unrefined schnoz but I love it. My decant started to run low and I found myself ordering a 100ml bottle to replace it. I had to rediscover how much to use, the small decant atomizer only spritzed a tiny amount but the atomizer on the 100ml bottle really hoses you down! I still can't tolerate earthy, dark/heavy Vetiver's..but who knows..maybe they will grow on me sometime in the future.

I can honestly say that I do not get the tobacco note (or at least I can not isolate it) and the smoke I do get is incredibly minor. What are the darker vetivers you don't like?

I'm planning blind buys of Guerlain Vetiver and Encre Noir.

I like things on the grassier, earthier, mustier side of the spectrum - I hope they will make me happy.

I don't know if Encre Noir fits that description. I do not remember it as grassy or earthy. I remember it smelling inky. Yes....inky.

I can honestly say that I do not get the tobacco note (or at least I can not isolate it) and the smoke I do get is incredibly minor. What are the darker vetivers you don't like?

I haven't tried many Vetiver's but one like I am referring is Vetiver by Carven. My uncle loved that stuff and had 2 bottles of the 60-70's formulation in his chest of drawers when he passed away. QCS Vetiver shaving soap/cream smells very similar to my nose, dark..damp...earthy root cellar with a bit of smoke...the scent just doesn't agree with me at all.

I haven't tried many Vetiver's but one like I am referring is Vetiver by Carven. My uncle loved that stuff and had 2 bottles of the 60-70's formulation in his chest of drawers when he passed away. QCS Vetiver shaving soap/cream smells very similar to my nose, dark..damp...earthy root cellar with a bit of smoke...the scent just doesn't agree with me at all.

Interesting. You may want to try Lanvin Vetyver. I just got my decant yesterday and I am still unsure about it.....but it is nothing like you say you don't like. It is not a deep and earthy one by any means. Actually quite a bit lighter than Guerlain. I got my decant here.....
http://www.checkitoutone.com/
Full bottles are relatively cheap too. I will have to wear it a few more times to decide whether or not I want a bottle.

Interesting. You may want to try Lanvin Vetyver. I just got my decant yesterday and I am still unsure about it.....but it is nothing like you say you don't like. It is not a deep and earthy one by any means. Actually quite a bit lighter than Guerlain. I got my decant here.....
http://www.checkitoutone.com/
Full bottles are relatively cheap too. I will have to wear it a few more times to decide whether or not I want a bottle.

Nice, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Top Bottom