What's new

I don't like vetiver

Carven Vetiver and Puig's Vetiver de Puig are both relatively inexpensive vetivers that are very good, although they are mostly what I think of as straight forward, clean vetiver scents.

Thanks! However, I don't really know what you mean when you say "straight forward, clean vetiver scents". As opposed to what? Is Guerlain Vetiver not a straight forward clean version? Thanks.

Try L'Occitane Vetyver, if you like to try a woody spicy Vetiver - it's really good.

I mostly blend my other Vetiver frags - not a fan of Vetiver alone, only blended with something else....

I have tried this one. Nice smell, but I did not really like wearing it. That happens to me a lot with fragrances. I like them......I just don't want to wear them (if that makes any sense at all).

Thanks! However, I don't really know what you mean when you say "straight forward, clean vetiver scents". As opposed to what? Is Guerlain Vetiver not a straight forward clean version? Thanks.

Guerlain Vetiver has a soapy note, and some say it has a tobacco note as well, although I don't really notice that. L'Occitane Vetyver is, to me, the most noticeably different with it's rich sweet smoky note in the blend. MPG Racine has quite a bit of citrus, as I believe the Lubin Le Vetiver does, but it's been a while since I smelled it, maybe Ivan can comment? MPG's Route du Vetiver has a very raw, almost harsh scent, but still very enjoyable. And Lubin Vetiver Oriental, to me, has a lot of citrus and spice, more than a normal oriental scent. Annick Goutal Vetiver has a salty marine note that smells like you are sitting on the beach, with the smell of vetiver grass being gently blown in by the air coming ashore. Comme de Garcons Vettiveru also has a salty note, but is blended with a nutty note to compliment the vetiver rather than a marine note. Creed Original Vetiver has so much floral after the citrusy opening it's almost hard to recognize the vetiver. Givenchy Vetyver is nearly a clean, straight forward vetiver, but it has a soft, floral, slight powdery feel that makes it more similar to Creed Original Vetiver. Hermes Vetiver Tonka, of course, is as much about the vanilla/tonka as the vetiver. Santa Maria Novella Vetiver and Molinard Vetiver both have a very strong iodine note that I think comes from rosewood. Royall Vetiver also has a very dark, smoky note. With Carven and Puig de Vetiver you don't get any of those other notes, just a tart smell like fresh mowed hay and damp earth.

I like vetiver in all it's forms and blends, including these clean, straight forward vetivers.

Le Vetiver by Lubin
I bought this one based on a recommendation of a sales lady. Rarely do that, but I did this time. I like Le Vetiver because of its fresh woodiness. It's light and it's full at the same time. After smelling scents like Encre Noire or Sycomore I found that there are much better vetiver fragrances but EN and Sycomore for me require a special occasion/mood, these scents are heavy. Le Vetiver is light and can be worn every day and in most occasions. Also I like the spices used in Lubin's version very much and it has a little of that soapy thing I like. For hot summer days it is also very hard to beat SMN Eva as a choice, also a peppery citrus vetiver but even lighter than Le Vetiver.

Both scents are unisex IMHO, but Eva is unisex with one leg deeper on the masculine end of the scale.

Guerlain Vetiver has a soapy note, and some say it has a tobacco note as well, although I don't really notice that. L'Occitane Vetyver is, to me, the most noticeably different with it's rich sweet smoky note in the blend. MPG Racine has quite a bit of citrus, as I believe the Lubin Le Vetiver does, but it's been a while since I smelled it, maybe Ivan can comment? MPG's Route du Vetiver has a very raw, almost harsh scent, but still very enjoyable. And Lubin Vetiver Oriental, to me, has a lot of citrus and spice, more than a normal oriental scent. Annick Goutal Vetiver has a salty marine note that smells like you are sitting on the beach, with the smell of vetiver grass being gently blown in by the air coming ashore. Comme de Garcons Vettiveru also has a salty note, but is blended with a nutty note to compliment the vetiver rather than a marine note. Creed Original Vetiver has so much floral after the citrusy opening it's almost hard to recognize the vetiver. Givenchy Vetyver is nearly a clean, straight forward vetiver, but it has a soft, floral, slight powdery feel that makes it more similar to Creed Original Vetiver. Hermes Vetiver Tonka, of course, is as much about the vanilla/tonka as the vetiver. Santa Maria Novella Vetiver and Molinard Vetiver both have a very strong iodine note that I think comes from rosewood. Royall Vetiver also has a very dark, smoky note. With Carven and Puig de Vetiver you don't get any of those other notes, just a tart smell like fresh mowed hay and damp earth.

I like vetiver in all it's forms and blends, including these clean, straight forward vetivers.

Excellent! Thanks for that explanation. I had no idea......

I have tried this one. Nice smell, but I did not really like wearing it. That happens to me a lot with fragrances. I like them......I just don't want to wear them (if that makes any sense at all).

Makes perfect sense to me. I have frags that I really like smelling, but don't want to smell like.

Since nobody has chimed in on CdG Vettiveru, I'll add that, although it's not an EdT, its price is very reasonable. It's $52 for 125 ml or $82 for 500 mil at Lucky Scent. Part of the nice CdG Series 4 range of cologne.

About 8 years ago I walked into a store and smelled my uncle!!!....... I sniffed around until I came to the shelf that contained the vetivers. Ever since I wear it on a weekly basis. I have only used Royall Vetiver so I can't compare it to anything. But I do enjoy it.

$Royall-Lyme-Bermuda-Royall-Vetiver-Natrual-Spray-All-Purpose-Lotion-4-oz.jpg

About 8 years ago I walked into a store and smelled my uncle!!!....... I sniffed around until I came to the shelf that contained the vetivers. Ever since I wear it on a weekly basis. I have only used Royall Vetiver so I can't compare it to anything. But I do enjoy it.

View attachment 256631

I just got a really good deal on a bottle of this on ebay (posted in the shopping forum)! I can't wait to use it.

nrv216

Since nobody has chimed in on CdG Vettiveru, I'll add that, although it's not an EdT, its price is very reasonable. It's $52 for 125 ml or $82 for 500 mil at Lucky Scent. Part of the nice CdG Series 4 range of cologne.

I'll chime in on it. I picked up a bottle when I was in Tokyo last month, and shared a decant with The Knize. It's great stuff for the price. I get a little citrus on the front followed by a nice sharp vetiver. It's more of a dry vetiver than some others (e.g., Villoresi, RdV, FM Vetiver Extraoridnaire), but it can't be beat for the price!

I'll chime in on it. I picked up a bottle when I was in Tokyo last month, and shared a decant with The Knize. It's great stuff for the price. I get a little citrus on the front followed by a nice sharp vetiver. It's more of a dry vetiver than some others (e.g., Villoresi, RdV, FM Vetiver Extraoridnaire), but it can't be beat for the price!

I was about to send Bill R a PM asking whether the CdG Vettiveru Series 4 was the same CdG vetiver he had picked up in Japan and had so kindly shared with me, when I checked in again with this thread.

I agree with everything TNH and BR say about this one. It was the only scent I took on a recent trip out of the country--which is somewhat misleading, because I thought I was heading toward the land of everywhere available fabulous frags, but it does say that I really like the scent and think it is very versitile. Although as TNH says, it is not labelled an edt, it seems pretty much edt strength to me. I really like vetivers and this one is a very nice one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Le Vetiver by Lubin
I bought this one based on a recommendation of a sales lady. Rarely do that, but I did this time. I like Le Vetiver because of its fresh woodiness. It's light and it's full at the same time. After smelling scents like Encre Noire or Sycomore I found that there are much better vetiver fragrances but EN and Sycomore for me require a special occasion/mood, these scents are heavy. Le Vetiver is light and can be worn every day and in most occasions. Also I like the spices used in Lubin's version very much and it has a little of that soapy thing I like. For hot summer days it is also very hard to beat SMN Eva as a choice, also a peppery citrus vetiver but even lighter than Le Vetiver.

Both scents are unisex IMHO, but Eva is unisex with one leg deeper on the masculine end of the scale.
I did another sampling of Le Vetiver this evening and I am definitely getting the soapiness in the drydown. I don't recall this soapiness from the last time that I wore this frag. Still on the fence about the opening, but I am loving the drydown.

I was about to send Bill R a PM asking whether the CdG Vettiveru Series 4 was the same CdG vetiver he had picked up in Japan and had so kindly shared with me, when I checked in again with this thread.

I agree with everything TNH and BR say about this one. It was the only scent I took on a recent trip out of the country--which is somewhat misleading, because I thought I was heading toward the land of everywhere available fabulous frags, but it does say that I really like the scent and think it is very versitile. Although as TNH says, it is not labelled an edt, it seems pretty much edt strength to me. I really like vetivers and this one is a very nice one.

Overall, Series 4 is very nice. I picked up a bottle of Citrico this winter and I've been using it a lot this summer. It's CdG's take on 4711 and is different enough to make it very interesting. I tested Anbar and liked it too. Great price, amazing volume, cool bottles.

Growing up in India - Khus..or vetiver..has been more than a perfume component. We infuse it in sherbets, add it to drinking water during the humid summers, air the room with moistened Khus mats and used the oil around religious ceremonies. It was only recently that I get to know it is used in high-end fragrances. To me, DR Harris Windsor smells like Khus/Vetiver.

Top Bottom