What's new

I don’t know what patchouli smells like. Care to educate me?

I read often that this or that soap has a patchouli aroma, but I am sorry to admit that I haven’t a clue what that smells like.

Anyone care to try and educate me?

Patchouli has a sweet "earthy" smell usually. That is probably not much help. If you are really interested, you could try to get your nose on patchouli oil at your local Vitamin Shoppe or other natural store. Better yet, you could get samples of fragrances that feature the note of patchouli prominently and try to isolate the smell. Here is an link to a page that may be helpful:

^^^^ All of the above. Patchouli smells like an old hippie. My wife used to be an essential oils distributer and when I would go to shows with her it was always kind of humorous to me when someone would stop by her table and pick up a bottle of patchouli and explain how the smell would take them back to their teens and twenties. To me it is a potent musky earthy smell.

Patchouli is a small shrub that grows mostly in warm parts of Asia. The fragrant patchouli oil is extracted from the leaves.

You probably won't smell patchouli by itself. Usually, it is mixed with other scents. It's been used in perfumes and incense in parts of Asia for centuries.

It reminds me mostly of music festivals and incense.

A colorful tapestry sags behind the couch. A single rusted thumbtack holds strong. Incense ashes flutter in the breeze of a droning ceiling fan. A record needle sings on a Grateful Dead runout. A growing iceberg of dishes, cups, pots, and pans rises from the sink.

Patchouli entered the kitchen to find a surprising alliance between Spaghetti Wednesday and Sunday Pancakes. Their objective: blockade the sink drains. Their ally Mr. Lodge lurked just beneath the surface... waiting to strike. Defeated, Patchouli slunk back to bed for another nap.

For shave products, have you smelled Musgo Real Classic or SJoL Mandarin/Patchoulli? My reference points are incense sticks. It is earthy. To me, it is a neutral to positive smell. I don't get too much musk. I have a strong aversion to any scent with an obvious musk note.

S

Scrubby

It is the default smell of harem pants wearing, nose ring bearing, incense burning, India travelling caucasian women with dreadlocks. When you met the type, then you likely also know the smell. personally like the women, patchouli not so much.

Top Bottom