What's new

I don't know how to find my way around here

I use to be somewhat active here years ago but floated away from the shave community. I didn't stop shaving but my shave regimen turned into a Mach 3 razor and the tub of Geo F Trumper that has lasted YEARS because I don't shave as often as I should.

I'm coming back and I have questions and I'm not sure they belong here or if I just can't find the right sub forum here. So I'm going to ask away and see what happens.

I grow my beard out for the winter, I'm thinking about a beard oil but I generally keep my beard short. Is there any usefulness to a beard oil and if so what is a good one?

I have a cheap Wahl beard trimmer, it kinda sucks. Any recommendations for something...better? I use to have a Remington that I LOVED but it was discontinued.

I do shave my head. I've been using the Trumper but I just tried a Van Der Hagen shave butter and got a much closer shave than I have in a long time. I'm going to keep using it but does anyone have any other recommendations for shaving creams/butters/whatever for the head?

Is there a difference in pre-shave oil and beard oil? I've read good things about using a pre-shave oil for my head. Any recommendations?

Any recommendations for after-shave balm for the head? I've used L'Occitane Cade aftershave balm before and loved it, just kind of expensive.

Any recommendations for hand lotion for the winter? I'm thinking of trying Duke Cannon's bloody knuckles. I also lift and I've got callouses from the barbell, so something that would help with that would be great.

Does anyone use the facial wipes? Or is that gimmicky?

Thank you!

Welcome back!

I shave my beard daily but don’t shave my head, so I cannot answer most of your questions.

In answer to your question on a good lotion to use in the winter: you might try CeraVe which I find effective!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Beard trimmer: I love my Remington MB4045. Good trimmer, and the longest settings I've ever seen on a trimmer.

Beard Oil: depends how short you trim. I make my own. 50% fractionated coconut oil, 25% golden jojoba, 25% argan oil. Pre shave nourishes and lubricates the skin, beard oil nourishes the hair. Two different products with two different intentions.

I'm not a head shaver, and I don't use hand lotion or facial wipes.

Beard trimmer: I love my Remington MB4045. Good trimmer, and the longest settings I've ever seen on a trimmer.

Beard Oil: depends how short you trim. I make my own. 50% fractionated coconut oil, 25% golden jojoba, 25% argan oil. Pre shave nourishes and lubricates the skin, beard oil nourishes the hair. Two different products with two different intentions.

I'm not a head shaver, and I don't use hand lotion or facial wipes.
Excellent response, Aimless!

I'm coming back and I have questions and I'm not sure they belong here or if I just can't find the right sub forum here. So I'm going to ask away and see what happens.
Beards & Moustaches

I grow my beard out for the winter, I'm thinking about a beard oil but I generally keep my beard short. Is there any usefulness to a beard oil and if so what is a good one?
Beard oil softens and conditions the beard, and moisturizes the skin under it as well. I make my own.
You should look for ones that contain Jojoba Oil for conditioning the skin, Argan Oil for softening the beard, Almond Oil -Softens and an antioxidant

I do shave my head. I've been using the Trumper but I just tried a Van Der Hagen shave butter and got a much closer shave than I have in a long time. I'm going to keep using it but does anyone have any other recommendations for shaving creams/butters/whatever for the head?
Cremo is SLICK I don't headshave though

Is there a difference in pre-shave oil and beard oil? I've read good things about using a pre-shave oil for my head. Any recommendations?
Beard oil is generally geared for conditioning beard/skin, and absorbs quickly. Preshave is generally thicker. I use a DIY oil I made for both uses.

Any recommendations for hand lotion for the winter? I'm thinking of trying Duke Cannon's bloody knuckles. I also lift and I've got callouses from the barbell, so something that would help with that would be great.
Bag Balm and Corn Husker's Lotion are my top picks. O'Keeffe's products are good as well

Top Bottom