What's new

I don't get excited about an expensive razor that shaves well. I get excited about a $50 razors that shave great!

I love the hunt for a good razor that does not break the bank.
Here are some of razors that fit that category that give great BBS shaves and the blades that work for me.
Blades- Voskhod, Nacet, Astra
Razors
$45 1960 Fatboy
$35 Viking Blades Emperor
$50 The Winning Razor
$40 Edwin Jagger DE89

Next on the list is the RR game changer and the Blackland Era

Which ones get you excited that are less then $100?

I get an acute anxiety attack if they are over $50.

Especially if I have ordered said razor off a well known auction site while having good ale taken, and remembering it after about 20 seconds of being conscious the next morning, and Mrs Ladd has prior knowledge and is doing the silent treatment.

I suppose that is a kind of excitement?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What gets me excited for less than $100? Razors, eh? :)

The PAA Monster slants
The RazoRock BBS

I have learned long since that Mrs. Hippie has her own obsessions. She wishes to pursue them without my interference, and accords me the same. We do share our discoveries, but only so far.

O.H.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I bought my gillette slim for $6.
Very happy to use the same razor as 007 Sean Connery.
img_1_1654913844811.jpg

The $30 razorock lupo gets me a CNC machine-milled razor, and no zamak.
img_2_1654913882042.jpg

Then…
They helped me save money to buy wolfman, as-d2, pils, muramasa... ;)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Especially if I have ordered said razor off a well known auction site while having good ale taken, and remembering it after about 20 seconds of being conscious the next morning, and Mrs Ladd has prior knowledge and is doing the silent treatment.

We married sisters my friend...

Gillette New Type in a pawn shop. I asked the owner how much it cost, and he asked if I was a collector. I told him that I buy them and shave with them, and he gave it to me for free; wouldn't take payment even though I tried. The handle was, of course, cracked, but I got a replacement from Razor Emporium ( with a discount code) for $20.'ish bucks. Shaves beautifully. They really don't make them like they used to.

KIMG0235.JPG

KIMG0238.JPG

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I recently heard of a this trick. Tighten the lid on the pickle jar. Than your wife has to come talk to you.

Here are some of razors that fit that category that give great BBS shaves and the blades that work for me.
Razors
$45 1960 Fatboy
$50 The Winning Razor
$40 Edwin Jagger DE89

The Henson razor. I have the medium and it gives me a consistent BBS. I also like the Slim and the Prewar Canadian tech.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have salvaged “barn finds” from Griffiths that are terrific straight razors. Purchased originally to practice honing, I have several that have become favourites. We are talking, Greaves, Wostenholm, Friodur, Wade and Butcher and Robeson to name a few. Just tremendous deals to be had if you know what you are looking for.
B6EDD401-D305-455A-9DB8-9D8321115BF5.jpeg
E1693277-3F46-4F50-82EA-CC3A83FB6597.jpeg

Both worked out to be about $20 each, some wear and grind marks on the tang and replaced the scales on the Friodur off another junker. They both take a keen edge.

Last edited:
Razors
$45 1960 Fatboy
$50 The Winning Razor
$40 Edwin Jagger DE89

Did you see this:

$45 and Made in the USA. I'm hoping it's the cheap one that exceeds the heavyweights.
I also picked up a Karve brass, 3.5", D plate on clearance from WCS for $57!
Both arrive Monday.
It'll be interesting, we'll see!

My other razors that fit in that pricing category where performance exceeds price:
-The "Winning" razor
-Lupo DE aluminum
-Lupo .72 Stainless

Top Bottom