What's new

I Don’t Clip Gem Blades In My Oneblade Genesis

I must admit my success rate at making really perfectly clipped gems was lower than I wanted - that’s part of why I experimented with this.

I started using despined but unclipped Gem blades in my Oneblade Genesis v2 and am getting great shaves. Better than the proprietary Feather blades and they last much longer. I echo other comments that obviously the razor is not designed for Gem blades - so try at your own risk. But it’s worked very well for me and it is my favorite razor now. Basically two pass and a touch of clean up and it’s BBS. I have not used any of my other razors now for mo the lol.

The success rate was ok but would have been better if I’d use a metal hole punch set.
I have used metal punch and the nibbler both are not great but usable.
Someone on bb is using a dremel I still think that and a guide plate is what would work best.
But I sold my genesis V2 still some old cores left and in one which I delocked I can use gems with spine
ideal I should grind a ledge to lower the spine which raises the blad edge slightly giving it a bit more punch
Only issue of the old cores that plastic is not so tough so you can cut the stops clean of when loading

I started using despined but unclipped Gem blades in my Oneblade Genesis v2 and am getting great shaves. Better than the proprietary Feather blades and they last much longer. I echo other comments that obviously the razor is not designed for Gem blades - so try at your own risk. But it’s worked very well for me and it is my favorite razor now. Basically two pass and a touch of clean up and it’s BBS. I have not used any of my other razors now for mo the lol.

It's been close to two years since I made this thread, and despined but unclipped Gems in a Genesis remains my daily setup.

I'm glad you're finding it useful too.

@Theodore Thank you! It works!

sketch-1608642608500.png

I tried the unclipped gem blade on both of my razors. As the blade angle and blade spacing change, they become milder.

sketch-1608641684955.png

sketch-1608641636198.png

(Above: Hybrid / Below: Genesis)

The Genesis head structure is more compact, the gem blade bended more in it. Although the gem blade is not fixed by bumps, the blade will not be moved during use. You can feel the feather fh-10 blade in Genesis, but gem not. After loading the gem blade, everything becomes smoother and easier to use.
Wonderful!

@Theodore Thank you! It works!

View attachment 1198286
I tried the unclipped gem blade on both of my razors. As the blade angle and blade spacing change, they become milder.

View attachment 1198290
View attachment 1198291
(Above: Hybrid / Below: Genesis)

The Genesis head structure is more compact, the gem blade bended more in it. Although the gem blade is not fixed by bumps, the blade will not be moved during use. You can feel the feather fh-10 blade in Genesis, but gem not. After loading the gem blade, everything becomes smoother and easier to use.
Wonderful!

Excellent!

I tried Gems in my Genesis and my Cores (all generations). The Gem would bend in the Genesis just like yours, but would sit perfectly flat in the Cores.

I've never tried a Hybrid, but have heard conflicting reports on whether the head is exactly the same as the Genesis head. If I understand you correctly, you're getting a slightly lesser bend in the Gem in the Hybrid than in the Genesis? Have you noticed a difference in how they shave?

I understand you correctly, you're getting a slightly lesser bend in the Gem in the Hybrid than in the Genesis? Have you noticed a difference in how they shave?
Yes, I getting a slightly lesser bend in the Gem in the Hybrid. I think this is because the difference version heads of v1(Genesis) and V2(hybrid), but you have tried all Gensis's versions, so the heads are indeed different.
The spring of V1 is soft, you can bend the head easily, but V2 is much harder. After installing gem blades separately, I found that they have become milder, It may be because the angle of the blade is changed.
Origin Genesis v1 is aggressive, easier to use after changing the Gem blades.
"Active floating blade approach system" will not work on v2 Hybrid after Gem blade installed, it has less efficient in Gem, a little learning curve, but I never get hurt by it.

Last edited:
As OneBlade continues to grow (which they appear to be doing: they have just announced a hot lather machine, after all), I think they will inevitably have to consider revisiting the FHS-10 issue. That isn't to say outright that the blade is poor - in general, I use it for three shaves and whilst the last is not the smoothest, this doesn't translate into irritation or a noticeably worse shave. However, the quality of the blades is variable, and occasionally two shaves is enough.

Like many other users, the blades were a reservation before buying the Core and Genesis, and although their cost is not an issue for me in the UK, they add an unwelcome aftertaste in what is otherwise a flawless experience. The business case for OneBlade using the FHS-10 is, on the surface, very clear. However, complaints about the blades are so widespread online that I am not sure the business could genuinely view them as a complete asset.

I am not sure if the FHS-10 has some other application outside of shaving, or the exact nature of the relationship between OneBlade and Feather, but I think a business case could equally be made for re-engineering the blade, or a derivative line being produced.

A oneblade with a unmodified gem would sell very wel but they would make less money on the blades.

OTOH I never buy feather blades direct at oneblade since I am from Europe. And pretty sure there are more alternative routes

maybe an even smarter idea would be designing an injector model (head would be wider but could be build less deep. It would allow more blade choice and blades with a renowned long life span. And since it is injector based a safe blade loading.

A unique own blade design (think de width injectoris unlikely it will make the blades as expensive as carts

it is just waiting for someone to make a 3D printed metal gem pivot head razor loosely based on the oneblade. Or a Chinese production. Doubt the patent is shielded enough to protect against it. It is not going to be the same beautiful stainless head and stem of a genesis. But also a different price tag.

Top Bottom