What's new

I Do Not Own a Fat Boy

I'm gonna say no, only because here are cheaper options, but variety is the spice of life. I shave with my straight razors for the most part, but I still keep my Grandfather's Fatboy in reserve in case I feel like using something different.

I bought a Slim off of Craigslist for $20 and thought it was great. I ended buying a Fat Boy to "get it out of my system." I paid $40.00 for it off someone on Reddit. I was spending way too much time staring at Fat Boys, trying to find one at a decent price. I figured it was worth the $40 to get my life back. :001_302:

Now that I have it, I've used a dozen times in the last year. Do I regret buying it? No. It's a nice piece of history to have. $40 was well within my budget I allotted to buying one. But I don't expect to use it much.

If you come across one at a decent price, grab it. But I think they're over-hyped. It's a good razor. But you're not going to wonder how you ever shaved without one before.

Do I want one? A very nice Fat Boy will price out significantly higher than a very nice Slim Adjustable. Is the Fat Boy that much better or is the price driven by less Fatboy inventory vs. the Slim inventory, or is it Fat Boy "prestige" or is it performance? I have 2 gorgeous 1947 gold Aristocrats and shaved with one of them for the first time yesterday and the shave was excellent. I purchased the Aristocrats for a fraction of the cost of a Fat Boy. If you have a Fat Boy and a Slim adjustable which do you prefer?
Maybe I just need one for my collection. I know someone will recommend when you have the choice and the budget, buy them, all of them.
I have both the Fatboy and a Slim, and like many others, I get great shaves with BOTH of them. I had the Fatboy reconditioned and re-rechromed by the Capt'n, and it looks brand new, although the TTO doesn't always stay tight any more. I think I actually get a slightly better shave from the Slim though, so I guess I'd say that's my favorite razor. I switch back and forth every time it's time to change to a new blade. BTW, I've owned them both since college in the late 1960's!

Do you need one, well need and want are different things. I have both a Fat Boy and a Slim, did I need them? No I didn't just wanted them - they are the only adjustables I have. I was intrigued by how Gillette manufactured adjusatables back then.
To be honest, I like them both but go with the Slim more than the Fat Boy - I will always keep them in the den and in rotation. Now if I could get a nice President or Diplomat............
I have a Diplomat on the way. Should be here this week.

I believe I have 6 Fatboys and like 3 Slims. I prefer the Fatboy, mainly because I like the thicker handle. Do you need one? Yes. Do you want one? I'm guessing yes.

So I say, keep searching and a good priced one will come along. I got my 1st Fatboy for $12 at my local antique store and it was my 2nd DE after about 1 month of getting into shaving old school style. My 1st DE was a long handle Super Adjustable, and that one shaves great too. All my other Fatboys have come at a price less than $25 (shipped) via various auction sites (not the bay though).

If you come across one at a decent price, grab it. But I think they're over-hyped. It's a good razor. But you're not going to wonder how you ever shaved without one before.
And thirds on this^^. I have 2. I've had a black beauty and Slim, and traded both off. I like the weight of the FB, and it's handling characteristics. Obviously, YMMV, but I thoroughly enjoy mine.

I much prefer my Slim to my Fatboy (and even my Toggle)... The Slim rocks, it is in my top 3 of US Gillettes alongside the 1934 Aristocrat and the 1941 Ranger Tech.

I have had my Slim and Fatboy for 10 years, and while they both are amazing, I give the nod to the Fatboy. I like the weight of it better than the Slim (but just barely). I just got a Toggle last week, and I think I’m liking it even more than the Fatboy.

You can't go wrong with either a FB or Slim especially given it's historical importance as noted by so many shaver's opinions. They are very good vintage razors but if you really want a treat try a Toggle. I used a Toggle for the first time recently and it was both smooth and nearly as efficient as some on our current moderns. It handles differently from it's younger versions in the form of the FB or Slim.

Best of luck as you can't go wrong with any of these vintage tools, AJ

I have 2 fatboys. One I found at a antique store for $10 and the other I bought on eBay for $50 which I use. I enjoy the shave quite a bit, but it's been displaced by my newly arrived Mamba 70. I will likely either sell one or PIF it to a converted family member or friend. I still think the Gillette TTO's are worth owning at least for the future value or to pass on a vintage razor to someone special later in my life.

It's cool to have one. You don't need one. I personally like the solidity of three piece razors myself. I have three fatboys I don't use anymore. I will keep one just for the history, but not for the shave. Shop for a good price and you can't go wrong.

The first new razor I bought when I started shaving was a Fat Boy or as it was called at that time an Adjustable. A year later I bought a Slim. Since I paid $1.95 for each razor it was a great deal.

I prefer the FB over the Slim but quite honestly not by that much. For me, it feels better in my hand. However, with the cost of Fat Boys today I would not buy one. In fact, I prefer the Progress as an adjustable over both the FB and Slim.

l have my late Dad's E-3 'Fatboy' and his British aluminum 'paper-clip' Rocket, they're great shavers, but only make a guest appearance in my rotation. These razors l found in his man cave after he passed were my intro to 'wet-shaving' + a British Ball-End Tech of his which I PIF'd to my #1 son. I've been reaching for my Gillette LC 'New' or one of my SEs more often then not, or one of my slants. The 'Fatboys' are a nice razor, but I wouldn't pay what people ask for one these days.

l have my late Dad's E-3 'Fatboy' and his British aluminum 'paper-clip' Rocket, they're great shavers, but only make a guest appearance in my rotation. These razors l found in his man cave after he passed were my intro to 'wet-shaving' + a British Ball-End Tech of his which I PIF'd to my #1 son. I've been reaching for my Gillette LC 'New' or one of my SEs more often then not, or one of my slants. The 'Fatboys' are a nice razor, but I wouldn't pay what people ask for one these days.

There's the biggest problem with the Fat Boy: what people are asking for it. There's so much hype around this razor that it's driving the price way up there. I've seen cased razors selling for as much as $500 on eBay at times.

If you're trying to find a vintage razor at a decent price, DO NOT search by nickname. For example, if you go to eBay no and search for "Gillette Black Beauty" you'll find a ton of listings for $50 or more. If you do a search for "Gillette Super Adjustable," you'll suddenly see razors in the $20 price range.

Same goes with the Fat Boy. Do not search for Fat Boy. Search for Gillette Adjustable and see what you find.

One trend I am noticing is people lsiting the Slim Adjustable as a "Gillette Slim Boy" and making up the price accordingly.

Top Bottom