What's new

I didn't know you could melt shaving soap!

So I'm running low on Tabac shaving soap and decided to use a puck of VDH Deluxe that's been in my cabinet for a few years. Got the puck out and set it in that little blue/green bowl they sell and decided I didn't like the way it looked.

Searched on here and found that you can microwave it and it will form-fit the bowl. So I did.

Shaved with it this mornnin -- meh. I like my Tabac better.

Just now I decided to microwave the VDH and get rid of one big lump in the middle. Tried a couple of times and almost boiled it over. Wow.

Sure didn't know you could do that. Now to start looking for more soap. Tabac shaving soap refill is at the top of my list. I won't be microwaving that.

From what I know and have read (never tried) - glycerine / glycerol based soaps are melt and pour, not others, imo like triple milled soaps. They may catch fire!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Yeah, melting a soap is risky. At best you lose some of the scent, at worst you completely ruin it.

I use a standard four sided grater to grate the soap and then press it into the container of my choice. I'll generally use the larger holes, like the ones you'd use to grate a carrot to throw it into a salad.

I don't buy a special one for this purpose as I'll I'm doing is rubbing soap on it. Kinda the same thing we do to clean it. So maybe see what you have in your kitchen already.

Sounds good. In fact, it makes me think I should get TWO pucks of Tabac and grate them together into the Tabac container. Bet they won't fit...

I melt my VDH Luxury to form-fit my Proraso Green plastic bowl whenever I buy some. The key is to microwave only 7-8 seconds at a time up to 30 seconds max. I usually only need 20 seconds to get it to fit. Then I place in the freezer for 10 minutes and I'm good to go.

The smell is intact and the soap is still the same as when I bought it.

Top Bottom