What's new

I didn’t know, I really didn’t know...A tale of two MWFs

what you with hard water have to go through. I am using MWF only this month, and everyday at my home of the soft water, I easily lather MWF for great shaves. Yesterday was take my razor to work day, as I was going out straight from work and wanted a late-day BBS. I shaved with cold, hard tap water. The soap loaded fine, but disappeared on my face before I could finish a pass, and protection was not good. Hard water shavers, is this experience typical for you?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
MWF is queen of Multiple Personality Disorder...

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 1.18.46 PM.png

what you with hard water have to go through. I am using MWF only this month, and everyday at my home of the soft water, I easily lather MWF for great shaves. Yesterday was take my razor to work day, as I was going out straight from work and wanted a late-day BBS. I shaved with cold, hard tap water. The soap loaded fine, but disappeared on my face before I could finish a pass, and protection was not good. Hard water shavers, is this experience typical for you?

That has been my experience with MWF here at my home that has hard water. It was very hit and miss.

I have found it is dismal in harder water. And now that my lathers have improved I find performance at home to be hit and miss. I mix it 3 to 1 in a shave stick with Haslinger Scafmilch and it is a lather bomb everytime. Super slick and scent is relatively unaffected.

Hard water shavers, is this experience typical for you?
I didn't tried MWF yet, but with almost any other soap my hard water yields worse lather than bottled drinking (soft) water. So I just don't use tap water anymore for a shaving. Always use drinking water for that.

Well, I have a water softener but I still had a learning curve with MWF. My first couple of shaves I experienced the 'disappearing lather' that is commonly mentioned. I just load my brush longer. And when I think it's loaded enough, I just keep loading. I've actually had better luck with bowl lathering which some guys say doesn't work as well. I think we all have to just develop our own techniques lathering the fat. But, and this is a BIG BUT! the results are worth it. I've never gotten the mounds of lather that I get with Haslingers or Tabac, but I certainly get more than enough lather for a multi-pass BBS shave, and the post-shave feel is worth the effort! (if you have time and are not running late for work)!

Top Bottom