What's new

I Didn't Kill Myself!!

Today was my first DE shave and I didn't need a transfusion or 10 styptic pencils!!

I have been a wet shaver all of my life but resigned to the drudgery of canned creams and hi-tech razors in my early days. For more than 20 years I have been a devoted soap & brush user. My usual routine was to wash my face with Noxzema and leave it on as a pre-shave prior to face lathering with Colgate & Williams soaps; my OLD preferred brands. I have to say the Noxzema has served me well as a pre-shave wash and lotion and I still swear by it. Finally early this year when my last brush needed replacing; I discovered the dark world of extreme wet shaving which brought me here.

Fast forward to a new brush, some better soaps and pre-shave products; and the discovery of wonderful creams like T&H, TOBS & CF and soon I was shaving heaven but still loyal to my Sensor Excel. I finally took the DE plunge with a vintage Fat Boy and today I was ready to die for my cause. Loaded with a Crystal and a rather wimpish #1 setting I went for TWO passes; something I NEVER did with my cartridge razor.

I did it with NO cuts, nicks, or irritation on my first try! I guess I am over the fear and will enjoy the next shaves even more! It's pretty darn cool shaving the way my grandfather did!

First of all thanks to the board for scaring the heck out of me so I was extra careful the first time. My technique will only improve with time but the fact I am still alive after the "fear factor" should be an encouragement to all on the fence. It isn't as bad as it sounds!

Now for the newbie questions:

• I LOVE my T&H 1805, Classic Shaving Lime Coconut soap puck, TOBS Lemon Lime but I am not so in Love with my Castle Forbes Sandalwood cream. It is much harder/firmer than the other creams I've tried but I can't seem to get the same rich creamy lather as I do with the other softer creams I've tried.

My usual technique with creams which are VERY new to me is to soak my brush, shake out the requisite amount of water and put a blob of cream on the bristle tips and begin face lathering. This technique works great with the T&H & TOBS but the harder CF just doesn't want to stay put on the bristles. Should I rub the bristle tips across the CF like I do with my shaving sops or is bowl the only way to get CF to lather the way I like?

• OK here's a really dumb question. With two sides to a DE blade which side do you use when? In other words do I switch sides with each pass or use one side for X number of shaves and then switch to the other side for the same number.

Related to this question is another question: with two sides; when someone says they get four days from a particular blade does that mean four days on one side or four days total alternating sides each day or each swipe.

Thanks for all the help and I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions later on.

:001_smile

Welcome to B&B! Enjoy your stay.

• My usual technique with creams which are VERY new to me is to soak my brush, shake out the requisite amount of water and put a blob of cream on the bristle tips and begin face lathering. This technique works great with the T&H & TOBS but the harder CF just doesn't want to stay put on the bristles. Should I rub the bristle tips across the CF like I do with my shaving sops or is bowl the only way to get CF to lather the way I like?

Typically I find it's easiest to just dip my brush into my tubs of cream to load it up and bowl lather, but face lathering should work fine.

• OK here's a really dumb question. With two sides to a DE blade which side do you use when? In other words do I switch sides with each pass or use one side for X number of shaves and then switch to the other side for the same number.

Use one side, flip, use the other, rinse :smile:.

Related to this question is another question: with two sides; when someone says they get four days from a particular blade does that mean four days on one side or four days total alternating sides each day or each swipe.[/list]

They mean for the whole blade. However many days from first use till they toss it.

First off, with a DE razor, it's nice to be able to take it off the face, rotate and use the other blade before rinsing. Twice the shave before you have to dunk it in the sink again.

Two... If DE razors make you nervous... look at straights :)

Like the others said, I like to switch sides of the razor for each pass.

If you find the CF too stiff, try using a little extra water, and beginning your lather in a bowl before going to your face.

Welcome to B&B!

It didn't take much to get you to the 'proper':)wink:) way to shave since you were already using a brush and shave soap. We are glad you didn't kill yourself either!

marty

As for using the hard milled soap, your CF, put a tablespoon of hot water on it to soften it up first before you shave. I do this before I shower and shave after.
There are several techniques for making the lather. Watch Mantic's shave videos at YouTube to see how. Basically the one I used before finding B&B was to make the lather on the soap. Just keep swirling until I got a good lather going. This can wear the soap down quicker. The one I'm using now is to load the brush with the soap (after it's been softened) and make the lather in a bowl. Watch the vids and go from there.

Top Bottom