What's new

I did it!!!!

27 days ago I started this thing with a 5.00 boar brush and some powdered soap from the drug store.

Today...I got the BBS! Even compared it to a real baby butt.

The gear:

Passes and pattern: 4 official passes. WAXX style. Under cheek bones seem to respond to a stroke from ear down and “nose” up. I count a pass as a re-lather and majority shave. There was a touch up session as some areas act like a rosette or something. No notable irritation or serious bleeding...nicked a mole but I won’t count that. The razor is held at a slant ranging from 15-45deg in relation to the stroke in order to introduce the blade to the follicle gradually in a slicing action and spread the blade contact front to limit tugging.

Razor: British made Valet Auto Strop VB2 in Rhodium

Blade: Feather FAS-10 Carbon Steel on second shave with approximately 30 strop passes (I have some stainless, but I don’t think they are working better and don’t seem to strop back straight again.)

Soap: Long Rifle Rendevous

Bowl: YAQI hand thrown ceramic ribbed in rustic and blue

Brush: Q shave Badger

Preshave: 1/2 eye dropper personal oil blend rubbed in 3 minutes prior

Post shave: 1 TBSP personal aftershave splash “cool”. I’m working on a locally sourced “herbal citrus” version, but my citrus is out of season.

Conditions: Post shower, roughly 15-17c inside. Water temp roughly 47c cooled to room temp while in use. Brush, bowl, and razor set in 47c water during prep.

Comments: Wife graded this one at a 94.5, Mu highest yet. I think she’s being a little unreasonable around the goatee. Lower central neck is ever so slightly rough, but I deliberately went easy there...still recovering from my first slant experience.

Questions: Does anyone ever use their razor in a reverse pass to re-spread a little lather for a rework? Anyone use the lather from UNDER the comb on your finger for touch up passes rather than grabbing the brush? Is this taboo? Anyone ever get a small bleeder from BRUSHING after a good pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats on the progress!
Questions: Does anyone ever use their razor in a reverse pass to re-spread a little lather for a rework?
Yeah, a couple times with a shavette, but it felt a little risky! Although as I understand (and practice) it, blade buffing is essentially this very thing, done quickly and repeatedly over a small area. You keep the blade in contact with the skin as you draw it backwards and forwards over the same area, and by doing so, the blade pulls a little bit of lather back over the area each time.
Anyone use the lather from UNDER the comb on your finger for touch up passes rather than grabbing the brush? Is this taboo?
I was that desperate once, but only once. I was completely out of lather except what was still clinging to the razor.
Anyone ever get a small bleeder from BRUSHING after a good pass?
No, but I don't scrub with my brush (maybe a few swirls at the very beginning) but rather paint with it. Painting motions seem easier on my brush and on my face. I wonder if that bleeder was really just very slow in appearing, rather than actually caused by the brush?

I'm not sure if anything is taboo around here except for not recommending someone buy both razors when they ask for everyone's help choosing between them :biggrin1:

Thanks! Having fun with the AS. I got a little distracted by a restored K2 Slim I just got. The shave was faster, but rather than missing patches of weird hair, it seemed to miss individual whiskers within the same plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom