What's new

I did it, I popped on a Schick Type I!

You read right folks, I purchased a vintage Schick Type I, the Hydro Magic variety. I saw it for about 15 bucks and decided to pop on it. I have a store that sells blades here in my town, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Once it comes in I'll give a review.

If you are new to these, you are in for a pleasant experience.
I am new to the world of wet shaving. I used a DE and ouch, I regretted that! I've watched quite a few reviews that say an injector is almost like cartridge razors, so I thought I could still get away with a 'classic' experience and still have what I hope to be a familiar, mostly nick-free shave. I plan on getting a full budget wet-shaver's kit later on after it comes in. Would any gents reading this know a good site with budget shaving gear sets that won't break the bank? I'm not after any exotic scents or anything.

I am new to the world of wet shaving. I used a DE and ouch, I regretted that! I've watched quite a few reviews that say an injector is almost like cartridge razors, so I thought I could still get away with a 'classic' experience and still have what I hope to be a familiar, mostly nick-free shave. I plan on getting a full budget wet-shaver's kit later on after it comes in. Would any gents reading this know a good site with budget shaving gear sets that won't break the bank? I'm not after any exotic scents or anything.

Okay, stop and spend no more money. There is a reason the DE caused an ouch and that needs to be addressed before you go any further.

Okay, stop and spend no more money. There is a reason the DE caused an ouch and that needs to be addressed before you go any further.
The reason that DE, the Parker 99r caused me so much trouble is because maybe, yeah, maybe I stink at using a DE, but I tried over and over for about three years to get it right. That razor was probably too aggressive for me (as I've heard so from different reviews), so I just want to use something close to what I am used to shaving with.

I just got my first injector - a PAL Injectomatic - so I'm looking at which blades are best. So far looks like the Chinese Schicks off Rakuten or the Proline B-20, but that needs to be manually inserted in the injector. I guess the ones easy for you to get are the Personnas but they don't get great reviews.

You'll enjoy the Type I, but the "no pressure" rule applies to SE shaving just as it does to DE, so take it slow and easy.

If your razor arrives without a blade inserted, prepare to waste a blade to get started. Injector razors were shipped with a dummy blank blade to ease the insertion of the first sharp blade. Injecting a blade into an empty razor might cause the blade to rub across the stops and dull the edge.

You'll enjoy the Type I, but the "no pressure" rule applies to SE shaving just as it does to DE, so take it slow and easy.

If your razor arrives without a blade inserted, prepare to waste a blade to get started. Injector razors were shipped with a dummy blank blade to ease the insertion of the first sharp blade. Injecting a blade into an empty razor might cause the blade to rub across the stops and dull the edge.
I read about that and asked the seller if they could insert a dummy blade if one was not already inserted.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Why do I keep reading something different than "popped" in the thread title.
My 12 year old nephew would be proud of me. :a24:

I just got my first injector - a PAL Injectomatic - so I'm looking at which blades are best. So far looks like the Chinese Schicks off Rakuten or the Proline B-20, but that needs to be manually inserted in the injector. I guess the ones easy for you to get are the Personnas but they don't get great reviews.
Just have to insert the blade into a different magazine. The Chinese Schicks can be bought off eBay, Amazon, Walmart, and various local stores. The Prolines are my favorite blades and are available through Rakuten, and at least one online vendor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The reason that DE, the Parker 99r caused me so much trouble is because maybe, yeah, maybe I stink at using a DE, but I tried over and over for about three years to get it right. That razor was probably too aggressive for me (as I've heard so from different reviews), so I just want to use something close to what I am used to shaving with.
For a good kit, a synthetic shave brush from any of a number of online vendors is ideal. Easy to make a good lather and easy to maintain. Quality control is much easier on them. Good shave soap can be easily had from those same vendors. Don't need anything expensive, just a quality soap. PM for any recs. Aftershave isn't necessary unless you want it. If it's cold where you live, a good shave balm or moisturizer will help some.

No pressure with the I-2. It is a good razor, but if you press you can bleed. I gave myself several nicks and a multitude of weepers the other day. I will also swap out my blade as that could have been part of the issue, but you do need to respect the fact it has a very sharp blade loaded. When it shaves well, it is one of my favorite razors. And it usually shaves well.

I use injectors for half of my shaves, sometimes more, and the artist club razors for the other half. Similar blades, similar results. Good luck and enjoy the shaves.

For a good kit, a synthetic shave brush from any of a number of online vendors is ideal. Easy to make a good lather and easy to maintain. Quality control is much easier on them. Good shave soap can be easily had from those same vendors. Don't need anything expensive, just a quality soap. PM for any recs. Aftershave isn't necessary unless you want it. If it's cold where you live, a good shave balm or moisturizer will help some.

No pressure with the I-2. It is a good razor, but if you press you can bleed. I gave myself several nicks and a multitude of weepers the other day. I will also swap out my blade as that could have been part of the issue, but you do need to respect the fact it has a very sharp blade loaded. When it shaves well, it is one of my favorite razors. And it usually shaves well.

I use injectors for half of my shaves, sometimes more, and the artist club razors for the other half. Similar blades, similar results. Good luck and enjoy the shaves.

I saw a number of reasonably priced artist club razors at Pheonix Artistry Accoutrements (what a wacky name). What is one of those like? From what I see, they seem to be upscaled fusion between GEM and injector razors. I say fusion because the artist blades they use come out of a injector-style mag minus the key.

I saw a number of reasonably priced artist club razors at Pheonix Artistry Accoutrements (what a wacky name). What is one of those like? From what I see, they seem to be upscaled fusion between GEM and injector razors. I say fusion because the artist blades they use come out of a injector-style mag minus the key.
PAA Atomic Rocket is a great brush. You’d be better off getting an original GEM. You’ll need GEM PTFE blades .

I use Schick blades and VDH Delux soap. Both I can obtain at the grocery.

You’d be better off getting an original GEM. You’ll need GEM PTFE blades

Why? GEM blades are more expensive and the heads are large. Artist Club blades are thin and neat, and crucially they are 50mm wide instead of 40mm, so require less strokes and so less potential irritation. And Prolines are sharp and smooth. And also there is a better choice of new razor makers - Artist Club SEs are in fashion these days.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You read right folks, I purchased a vintage Schick Type I, the Hydro Magic variety. I saw it for about 15 bucks and decided to pop on it. I have a store that sells blades here in my town, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Once it comes in I'll give a review.
Good razor to clean with the lever action to clean and re-tighten a new blade with out the injector and you can install the B-20 Schick proline easier also because the B-20 does not have the key as part of their injection- not sure why not?? Your going to like it no doubt in my mind. I have a E2 Schick injector and can also swing the spring to the side to clean and install the blade. I really like my Schick E2 and try to use it every Sunday with my razor rotation- the Hydro magic is a more sophisticated system to do what what my E2 does. Not all E2 have the swing spring design, but there are ways to accomplish the same results with any of E series and of coarse not recommended in fear of damaging the spring by some Schick folks-ah takes the fun out of adventure.
Have some great shaves with your Schick I!
e2 head (2).jpg

Schick swivel1.jpg

Last edited:
Those actually aren't artist club style razors at PAA. The Starling V2 takes the GEM blades. The artist club blades (AC for short) are made by Feather, Kai, Schick and I think one other company. The cheapest razor out there now that takes them is made by RazoRock, not PAA. iKon also sells the MR SE which is an aluminum hybrid. There are a number of more expensive stainless steel options from the likes of Above the Tie, Blackland, Colonial Razors, Asylum, and others. GEM razors are yet a third variety of single edge blade (injector and AC being the other two). There are not as many modern options for GEM razors. PAA, ATT, Rocnel, Blackland are the ones I can think of for modern GEM razors. Vintage are easily found for inexpensive prices on auction sites and local antique stores.

If you're seeking a shave like a cartridge though, injectors are about as close as you're going to find.

Those actually aren't artist club style razors at PAA. The Starling V2 takes the GEM blades. The artist club blades (AC for short) are made by Feather, Kai, Schick and I think one other company. The cheapest razor out there now that takes them is made by RazoRock, not PAA. iKon also sells the MR SE which is an aluminum hybrid. There are a number of more expensive stainless steel options from the likes of Above the Tie, Blackland, Colonial Razors, Asylum, and others. GEM razors are yet a third variety of single edge blade (injector and AC being the other two). There are not as many modern options for GEM razors. PAA, ATT, Rocnel, Blackland are the ones I can think of for modern GEM razors. Vintage are easily found for inexpensive prices on auction sites and local antique stores.

If you're seeking a shave like a cartridge though, injectors are about as close as you're going to find.

Thanks, I had relooked at PAA and you are right about the starling razor. GEM is something I might consider down the line. I'm just looking to get into the hobby, but only on a small scale. I've seen some of the stuff other youtube shavers have accumulated and its pretty intimidating. But, now that I am on the subject, I've seen the Van der Hagen shave kit and I wanted to know if it was any good. Seems like a good set to invest in.

Thanks, I had relooked at PAA and you are right about the starling razor. GEM is something I might consider down the line. I'm just looking to get into the hobby, but only on a small scale. I've seen some of the stuff other youtube shavers have accumulated and its pretty intimidating. But, now that I am on the subject, I've seen the Van der Hagen shave kit and I wanted to know if it was any good. Seems like a good set to invest in.
I got a van der Hagen kit from Walmart as my first foray into wet shaving. It may have improved since then, but I am somewhat doubtful of that. I would recommend getting one of the basic kits from any of the good online vendors out there (Maggard, west coast shaving, Italian barber, Connaught, yourshaving, fendrihan, etc). Synthetic brush (easier to use and no break in time compared to animal hair), decent soap, any aftershave product you want. Done. No need for a bowl as you can use a cereal bowl to get started. Once you get consistently good shaves, then Branch out into animal hair brushes and other soaps/creams. Cella, haslinger, Proraso, Stirling and many more like them are cheap, fairly easy to lather, and provide good to excellent performance. Some of the online vendors sell samples of soaps. Stirling sells one ounce samples that I've had last thirty shaves for example. The soap samples can be a good way to check out a soap company for performance and make sure that you don't have a skin reaction to their products.

Top Bottom