What's new

I did it, I popped on a Schick Type I!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Those actually aren't artist club style razors at PAA. The Starling V2 takes the GEM blades. The artist club blades (AC for short) are made by Feather, Kai, Schick and I think one other company. The cheapest razor out there now that takes them is made by RazoRock, not PAA. iKon also sells the MR SE which is an aluminum hybrid. There are a number of more expensive stainless steel options from the likes of Above the Tie, Blackland, Colonial Razors, Asylum, and others. GEM razors are yet a third variety of single edge blade (injector and AC being the other two). There are not as many modern options for GEM razors. PAA, ATT, Rocnel, Blackland are the ones I can think of for modern GEM razors. Vintage are easily found for inexpensive prices on auction sites and local antique stores.

If you're seeking a shave like a cartridge though, injectors are about as close as you're going to find.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hello Johnnynroy, I think PAA just came out with a L type injector recently(sold out). I was reading some of folks have bought it and it looks like a Schick L but a little cheaper look, but it works well. It's hard to keep up with all the new products the Artisans are turning out.

Hello Johnnynroy, I think PAA just came out with a L type injector recently(sold out). I was reading some of folks have bought it and it looks like a Schick L but a little cheaper look, but it works well. It's hard to keep up with all the new products the Artisans are turning out.

Very true sir, apologies for missing that injector razor. I mainly wanted to point out that PAA does not yet have an artist club safety razor for sale.

I got a van der Hagen kit from Walmart as my first foray into wet shaving. It may have improved since then, but I am somewhat doubtful of that. I would recommend getting one of the basic kits from any of the good online vendors out there (Maggard, west coast shaving, Italian barber, Connaught, yourshaving, fendrihan, etc). Synthetic brush (easier to use and no break in time compared to animal hair), decent soap, any aftershave product you want. Done. No need for a bowl as you can use a cereal bowl to get started. Once you get consistently good shaves, then Branch out into animal hair brushes and other soaps/creams. Cella, haslinger, Proraso, Stirling and many more like them are cheap, fairly easy to lather, and provide good to excellent performance. Some of the online vendors sell samples of soaps. Stirling sells one ounce samples that I've had last thirty shaves for example. The soap samples can be a good way to check out a soap company for performance and make sure that you don't have a skin reaction to their products.

Is the Van Der Hagen really that bad? I was just looking to save on the individual items by bundling them together, but if its better to get them separate then I will. Its gotta be for around $30 though, brush, soap, and bowl.

Is the Van Der Hagen really that bad? I was just looking to save on the individual items by bundling them together, but if its better to get them separate then I will. Its gotta be for around $30 though, brush, soap, and bowl.
The soap is ok. The brush that I got went into the garbage. I refused to even PIF it to someone on here. They may have improved the brushes some since I got mine five years ago, but I would just get a decent synthetic. For $30, you can get a good soap and synthetic brush, including delivery. You don't get a bowl, but they're not completely necessary.

I would suggest Cella at the lower end price point, and Stirling if you want to step up a little. Any 24mm synthetic will be fine.

A note on the I2.. a fantastic razor, but the later schick are milder. I would consider that one medium aggressive so be careful especially if using the Chick blades. Definately a great razor and one you will enjoy! JM

VDH is all I use that I purchase for $2. It hydrates well which is important using a straight razor.

VDH is all I use that I purchase for $2. It hydrates well which is important using a straight razor.
I figure I'd start with Proraso since it already comes in a usable bowl. I'm trying to be frugal on this since I dunno if its something I'm going to stick with. Better to keep the entry cost down.

3D2D9B47-AF4D-4585-B166-636CA99BC299.jpeg
$1 per bowl at a local restaurant supply. There are bowls at antique stores galore.

LOL, now I just sound silly.
Well, it’s easy to get carried away and spend good money for stuff. The art is in skill development and discovering what works for you.

I’m into straight now. This razors in the photo are a 1912 GEM model and the SR was made in Fremont, Ohio. I have $20 total combined for both.

The brush is a 1350 Semogue that cost $14 if recall.

The 1940’s Seaforth stoneware mug was $9.

Attachments

• BFDD9737-86C0-494C-96E6-DE0C521CF3F2.jpeg
    BFDD9737-86C0-494C-96E6-DE0C521CF3F2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Those actually aren't artist club style razors at PAA. The Starling V2 takes the GEM blades. The artist club blades (AC for short) are made by Feather, Kai, Schick and I think one other company. The cheapest razor out there now that takes them is made by RazoRock, not PAA. iKon also sells the MR SE which is an aluminum hybrid. There are a number of more expensive stainless steel options from the likes of Above the Tie, Blackland, Colonial Razors, Asylum, and others. GEM razors are yet a third variety of single edge blade (injector and AC being the other two). There are not as many modern options for GEM razors. PAA, ATT, Rocnel, Blackland are the ones I can think of for modern GEM razors. Vintage are easily found for inexpensive prices on auction sites and local antique stores.

If you're seeking a shave like a cartridge though, injectors are about as close as you're going to find.

Have seen a local pharmacy with GEM blades, on the shaving aisle. They do still exist in stores. That said, be careful to get the ones for shaving and not the ones for utility knives and scrapers.

Don't buy the VDH kit, it's not worth it. Find a bowl, any fairly large bowl will work. Go to Stirling soap's web site and grab any synthetic brush and any soap whose scent tickles your fancy. Should set you back $25 tops and the soap will last you months if you get the big one in the tub. The brush will last forever if cared for. This is a tier 1 soap IMHO and a quality synth brush and only one shipping cost. If you want really cheap there is always Arko, but it's scent is super polarizing. There are lots of other cheaper options, but Stirling is top tier IMHO, and a great bang for your buck. Their brushes are nice too from what I hear.

1. Reach into your cabinet and grab a wide coffee mug or short wide bowl. This way you can discover what size of mug/bowl you prefer before picking up a scuttle or shave bowl or even re-purpose another bowl to best suit your needs. I used a variety of mugs and bowls before settling on a Georgetown Scuttle and a Captain's Choice Bowl.
2. Before venturing into the world of artisan equipment, order a tub Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream, either Sandalwood Shaving Cream, Eton College Shaving Cream, St. James Luxury Shaving Cream, or Mr. Taylors Shaving Cream. This stuff is consistent. It makes an easy lather. It is more than slick enough. These aren't crazy scents either.
3. Order a Maggard Razor 22mm Black & White Synthetic Brush for $12 or the 18mm Timberwolf Grey for $14. Synthetic brushes are by far the easiest brushes to make a good lather with. These brushes are not expensive and a better than average quality. I would say they are excellent, but in an effort to not stir up a debate on which synthetic brushes are best or cheapest, I offer these as an amazing sweet-spot for entry into making lather.

@Twelvefret offered important advice/insight. Pressure is bad with the DE & SE, and while the injector is closer to the cart razor, you still have to have a soft touch and let the audible feedback speak to you. Don't press hard.

Top Bottom