What's new

I did a 3 pass this morning!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used to do 3 pass with my Weishi and never got a good result. I've adopted the 6 pass method since then. Whichever razor I used, 6 passes were giving me a BBS all the time. With the corn circle crop beard, it was getting everything. It made me think 2 weeks ago that I was probably one of the only one doing a 6 pass shave... I never reduced the number of passes over time and I always get 2 shaves out of my blades most of the time. Sometimes 3 but it's rare. Astra is the only one that gives me a sure 4 and sometimes 5!

Two weeks ago I decided to change the order of my passes because I was getting some pulling when I did E-W and W-E. I moved them to the end before the across the grain pass. This morning I got up and thought most members here do a 2 or 3 pass shave. I do not think that my beard is that special so it should get a 3 pass like everyone else. I decided to keep the essential pass (WTG, XTG and ATG), simple and basic. I know 2 spots on my throat that need a specific XTG.

The result? I was very suprised to have a shave that was almost BBS. I think more technique will lead to a BBS but so far, very impressed by what happened this morning. Logically, if I reduced the number of pass by 50%, I should get 50% more shaves...

Luc

Staff member
6 passes? How can your skin stand that? If I do four I get razor burn.

EDIT: I guess YMMV is true (once again)...

Yup, YMMV example...

I never had any problems with it, I think I could do it all day long as long as I have lather and a good blade... But yes, 6 was the daily shave until this morning! I guess my skin is not as sensitive as I think!:001_rolle

Yup, YMMV example...

I never had any problems with it, I think I could do it all day long as long as I have lather and a good blade... But yes, 6 was the daily shave until this morning! I guess my skin is not as sensitive as I think!:001_rolle

You must have also spent forever shaving.

That's a good thing though. I wish I could shave for six passes :w00t:

Luc

Staff member
Nah, 15-20 mins, I took my time this morning and it still takes me 15 mins... Which is good!

Newbie here. First post. I Re-started wet shaving two months ago after about 40 years of multi-blade cartridges, a full beard, and a Remington electric shaver. It always takes me 8-10 passes with the grain to get the razor to glide without dragging. Then XTG does nothing more, so I go ATG. I use a Merkur long handle 25C (first used 23C, then switched to open comb as I got fewer nicks), Proraso Omega boar brush, Proraso Red shaving soap, and am currently working through sample blade sets. Have also used Proraso White tube( cream), and Lord of Old Bond Street shave soap. None of the blades I’ve used gets below 8-10 passes. (Feather, Wilkinson, Murkur, Kai, Bolzano, Astra, Bic, Derby and Dorko so far.) Only ATG gets close enough that I do not still see individual whiskers left on my face. (About 1/64th of an inch of whisker. Nothing has lowered the number of passes I need to make. I make sure I am holding the razor by the far end, and I don’t think I am pushing too firmly on the razor. ATG for the mustache area produces very sharp and distinct drags of what feels like an individual
whisker, and several bleeders.
Any suggestions on how I can cut down the number of passes?

Thanks!

Newbie here. First post. I Re-started wet shaving two months ago after about 40 years of multi-blade cartridges, a full beard, and a Remington electric shaver. It always takes me 8-10 passes with the grain to get the razor to glide without dragging. Then XTG does nothing more, so I go ATG. I use a Merkur long handle 25C (first used 23C, then switched to open comb as I got fewer nicks), Proraso Omega boar brush, Proraso Red shaving soap, and am currently working through sample blade sets. Have also used Proraso White tube( cream), and Lord of Old Bond Street shave soap. None of the blades I’ve used gets below 8-10 passes. (Feather, Wilkinson, Murkur, Kai, Bolzano, Astra, Bic, Derby and Dorko so far.) Only ATG gets close enough that I do not still see individual whiskers left on my face. (About 1/64th of an inch of whisker. Nothing has lowered the number of passes I need to make. I make sure I am holding the razor by the far end, and I don’t think I am pushing too firmly on the razor. ATG for the mustache area produces very sharp and distinct drags of what feels like an individual
whisker, and several bleeders.
Any suggestions on how I can cut down the number of passes?

Thanks!

Welcome on!

I think the issue lies primarily with technique. A pass should never do “nothing” unless you are already BBS. A 3 pass shave should be more than enough for most folks to get at least DFS if not mostly BBS.

Many razors have an optimal angle at which they do their work. For some razors, there is a wide angle range, for others the angle range is very specific.

The best why to do that is begin with the razor at a 90 degree angle to your face (handle straight out pointing away from you), in a position as if you are about to make your first WTG stroke. The very top of the razor cap should be gently touching your face. Then slowly rotate the razor handle down (looks like the motion of turning off a large handled circuit breaker), cap still touching your face, until you feel or see in the mirror that the razor blade is also in contact with your face. This is the beginning of the razor’s cutting angle window. Shaving at this angle will help keep the shave smooth. It’s called “riding the cap”.

You could continue this rotating motion down until the top cap is no longer touching your face, but instead the razor blade and razor guard/safety bar are now both touching your face. This is the end of the razor’s cutting angle window. It’s is called “riding the guard”. This generally provides a more aggressive shave because of the angle the razor blade now has relative to your face.

You have to find the angle that fits the razor and you within that cutting window. Some guys just have more visible facial hair, even if they are DFS or mostly BBS. I’m one of those because of my moderately olive to fair skin and super dark facial hair. I might have a great CCS/DFS shave but if I don’t have BBS it looks like I’m an unshaven hobo.

Don’t be afraid to experiment with your shaves, how you hold the razor, how you make your passes, etc. 8-10 passes is way too many...even 5 is too many.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@C_Cubed I'd agree that angle is probably the culprit. Try taking shorter strokes too, and if necessary, rinse your razor more often. If the angle is right, and the blade is hovering at skin level, but not pressing into the skin, once the razor has passed somewhere, you should be able to run your finger in the same direction and feel no stubble. If your angle is off (either way) your razor's cap or comb will be riding on your face, but the blade will be lifted slightly, so you're cutting high and leaving stubble.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good suggestions here for you. You could also read through the Shave Wiki and you should be able to get some help from there. It has helped me in the past. Keep trying, it will all fall into place.

Top Bottom