What's new

I deeply apologize…

To my Karve Overlander. My first couple uses were subpar. I have several DEs that work great for me… I was looking to sell the OL. But Figured I’d give it one more try. Wow! Not sure what I was doing wrong before, but this was amazing! Perfect weight, perfect level of aggressiveness, perfect amount of feedback. BBS after two passes.

It’s only by dumb luck that I didn’t sell it. Better to be lucky than good sometimes, I suppose.

Makes me think I wasn’t shaving with the proper end of the razor those first few times :/

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Same thing happened to me. Used a Nacet and a shallower angle and the whiskers evaporated the next few shaves.

@Drew , which metal do is yours? Using a brass one over here

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a great shave the first and only time I've used my 24K plated (BRB) Overlander. My problem is I bought two base plates with my Blutt BR-1 and the .86 shaves in the same fine manner the Overlander does, so it's a bit redundant. That said, after the gold plating, it really is beautiful.

Brilliant to hear you got it to work so well for you. I see so many people selling their razors after just a few tries, and I always think that’s a mistake.

It’s worth giving a razor time and learning how to get the best from it, trying different angles, techniques or different blades. I have a few razors I never managed to get along with - yet - but I still assume I just haven’t figured out the right approach yet and I still have those razors and will keep trying periodically. When so many people really like a razor and I don’t, it’s much more likely I am at fault than the razor design.

Last edited:
I had a great shave the first and only time I've used my 24K plated (BRB) Overlander. My problem is I bought two base plates with my Blutt BR-1 and the .86 shaves in the same fine manner the Overlander does, so it's a bit redundant. That said, after the gold plating, it really is beautiful.
I don't think you have a problem. The OverLander is a great shaver as you know. You spent extra to have it plated and now you have a razor that's kinda unique. Use it!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Correction: BRG. Back Roads Gold... <smile>

I think the DE shavers should be well aware of what shallow and steep angles are and which of them suits them better. The same goes for the DE razor manufacturers and I think it's time for them put that in the description along with the blade gap and blade exposure.

Every bit of information helps and while it's nearly impossible to predict is a razor is going to work for you or not just by looking at it's characteristics, I think to a large degree helps those of us who have used many razors and know exactly what they want from a razor.

Brilliant to hear you got it to work so well for you. I see so many people selling their razors after just a few tries, and I always think that’s a mistake.

It’s worth giving a razor time and learning how to get the best from it, trying different angles, techniques or different blades. I have a few razors I never managed to get along with - yet - but I still assume I just haven’t figured out the right approach yet and I still have those razors and will keep trying periodically. When so many people really like a razor and I don’t, it’s much more likely I am at fault than the razor design.
I sold some very desirable high end razors that just didn't work out. Sometimes I would get a good shave other times an unpleasant shave. Was just hit or miss. I guess I expect a high-end razor to perform out of the gate. Plus I don't have that much patience...

I sold some very desirable high end razors that just didn't work out. Sometimes I would get a good shave other times an unpleasant shave. Was just hit or miss. I guess I expect a high-end razor to perform out of the gate. Plus I don't have that much patience...
Ah, but the razor always performs the same, out of the gate and forever after. The only variable is how the user performs. If you are inflexible about the way you use a razor then that’s fine, but you might be giving up what could potentially be your best razors if you had instead just tried varying your technique a bit and getting to know the razor. You might also be giving up an opportunity to improve your technique. You’re right, many shavers only value a razor that immediately fits their current shaving technique.

I think it’s not only the head geometry that you may have to adapt to. Other things like weight, balance, handle length, handle thickness, grip can all affect the shave and require some small adjustment before the razor fits you. These adjustments are likely too subtle to notice you are doing it, and they just take time to get used to the razor.

The OP’s example is a good one and he now has a razor he feels is amazing, which he would have missed out on and lost some money had he just sold it because he didn’t get along with it the first few times. The razor didn’t change - he just gave it a little more time to learn how to use it. And the changes he made must only be minor because he didn’t know what he’s doing differently - I’ve felt the same before.

There’s no right or wrong in this. I would say that I had trouble figuring out how to get a really good shave from a Wolfman WR2, but I persevered, tried different things, and now I’d say the WR2 1.55 is my single favourite razor and shaving with it feels completely natural now. I still don’t click with my Tatara Nodachi or my Carbon Cx Ti, for some reasons - I don’t know why, but I will figure them out and I am not selling them. I don’t blame the razors - whatever isn’t working yet is certainly my failing, and I don’t feel I can have an opinion about those razors as long as I haven’t worked out how to use them well. I have a suspicion that razors like this are teaching me to be a better shaver altogether, and I am learning better technique because of them. I do feel that when I figured out the Wolfman my shaves with other razors also improved.

Last edited:
Congratulations!! Sometimes it takes awhile to ‘dial in’ a new piece of kit, glad the effort was worth it!! :a29:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It really does give you a sense of accomplishment when you dial in a razor, or I should say, it does for me. @Cal has encouraged me to make every shave a learning lesson in technique and not to settle with where I am now. It was a valuable lesson. I've grown quite comfortable with the AC razor format but continue to improve my technique with both my Claymore Evo and now my ATT X1.

I'm still a novice when it comes to DE razors but so far, I'm getting excellent shaves with my British Flat Bottom Tech as well as my Blutt BR-1 with both the .86 and 1.20 base plates. I've only shaved with the Overlander once and had quite a nice shave. Based on the suggestions here from @Mr. Shavington and others, I'll keep it...use it quite a few more times and dial it in. I was thinking it might be redundant... and of course, since it shaves so well.. why not keep it around and enjoy it?

Truth be told, I think I'm ODing on new razors at the moment. That is probably why I'm a bit anxious about the whole thing. I have so many razors yet to use and have three more on the way. The Merkur 37C HD seems to be stuck in the UK. I ordered it on the 15th of October and it's still in Britain. It shipped out from Ireland on the 19th but the tracking has it still in Britain with no further updates since the 21st. The USPS says a label has been created but they do not yet have it in their possession.

LOL... just like my brush buying frenzy, I've had a bit of a razor accumulation situation going on. At least, I'm growing more comfortable trying a new one. If I can get in the zone right away, none of them has been a challenge at this point and have all provided an enjoyable shaving experience. I approached the Blutt BR-1 1.20 base plate with a bit of trepidation, but it was a pleasure to use...... it turns out, the increased efficiency was nothing for me to fear.

Top Bottom