What's new

I decided that I needed a bigger stone

I just recently purchased a bunch of Japanese wood planes and chisels. I’ve been wanting to start freehanding some knives as well. I decided that I’d probably be chewing through my 1000 grit stone pretty fast so I got a bigger one. (Insert joke about compensating here). Notice the quarter in front for size reference.

4F3DCD14-49A3-422E-B9F7-020259F4993D.jpeg

If you are honing both tools and razors, it is probably best to have two sets of hones. You want to keep the razor hones as flat as possible. Honing chisels, plane irons, and lathe bits is apt to wear your hones unevenly, so do not use them for razors. That is likely to be less of a problem with knife edges.

If you are honing both tools and razors, it is probably best to have two sets of hones. You want to keep the razor hones as flat as possible. Honing chisels, plane irons, and lathe bits is apt to wear your hones unevenly, so do not use them for razors. That is likely to be less of a problem with knife edges.

Now you have to get a bigger razor.

Fantastic ideas. More stones and razors. I love it. It’s couldn’t even be considered an AD. I neeeeed this stuff.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
That’s quite a stone! The only downside is that you’re putting off the need for the futures latest and greatest stones when they come around. :p

Unless you come across the mythical two sided honing stone.

Top Bottom