What's new

I couldn't think of a worse beginners kit

This was my first ever kit I bought from a chain drugstore (picture below). It was after NYE in sale and I got it under 20 USD. Soap smelled terribly in my opinion, the brush struggled to make lather and it was eating it all (that might have been due to my non-existing experience of lathering), those blades cut me up. I packed it up and threw in the back of a bottom shelf. It took me a year to dare and try it again.

I kept the razor and now I think of it as a nice mild shaver for any body parts. The brush serves to clean my shoes. The soap puck shrunk in its tube to 1/2 of its size afer 3 years.

I stuck with safety razors, now I own three more and I'm wokring on my shavette technique in preparation for straight razor.

If I may make a suggestion, from my personal experience, if you are using a DE shavette I would skip that and go to a SHAVE READY straight razor. And when I mean shave ready I mean buy one shave ready from a reputable source or have one professionally honed.

The DE shavette, in my opinion, are less forgiving than a real straight razor, or at least a hollow ground straight. I personally don't think I gained much starting with a shavette over a straight razor.

Now that is DE shavettes that take half a safety razor blade. If you were to use something like an artist club I have heard those are better, but don't have any personal experience with them.

If I may make a suggestion, from my personal experience, if you are using a DE shavette I would skip that and go to a SHAVE READY straight razor. And when I mean shave ready I mean buy one shave ready from a reputable source or have one professionally honed.

The DE shavette, in my opinion, are less forgiving than a real straight razor, or at least a hollow ground straight. I personally don't think I gained much starting with a shavette over a straight razor.

Now that is DE shavettes that take half a safety razor blade. If you were to use something like an artist club I have heard those are better, but don't have any personal experience with them.
I believe your suggestion makes a lot of sense as I was told this exact same thing from many others.

My personal reason for getting a shavette first, was to see if I will actually enjoy moving it around, changing hands, stretching the skin, taking longer to shave etc. I didn't want to spend 200 bucks for something I never tried before. I told to myself if I Can enjoy 10$ shavette shave, I will enjoy a 120$ straight twice as much. Currently I'm interested in buying a Titan straight (6/8, round point, hollow ground) which is having a complete "tune-up" by a local enthusiast from pins through scales to the edge togerher with his custom strop (simmilar to Mr. Tony Miller. This Kit will set me up 125$. Considering it is a cost of a single entry level Boker or Rauf Aust razor only and having just a student's budget to work with, I'm willing to take a chance that it may not be the best shave ever. If still will be better than a cartridge which leaves me with a neck FULL of bumps.

I believe your suggestion makes a lot of sense as I was told this exact same thing from many others.

My personal reason for getting a shavette first, was to see if I will actually enjoy moving it around, changing hands, stretching the skin, taking longer to shave etc. I didn't want to spend 200 bucks for something I never tried before. I told to myself if I Can enjoy 10$ shavette shave, I will enjoy a 120$ straight twice as much. Currently I'm interested in buying a Titan straight (6/8, round point, hollow ground) which is having a complete "tune-up" by a local enthusiast from pins through scales to the edge togerher with his custom strop (simmilar to Mr. Tony Miller. This Kit will set me up 125$. Considering it is a cost of a single entry level Boker or Rauf Aust razor only and having just a student's budget to work with, I'm willing to take a chance that it may not be the best shave ever. If still will be better than a cartridge which leaves me with a neck FULL of bumps.

If you are on a budget and getting the razor overhauled anyway why not pick up a vintage razor? They are usually pretty cheap and have good steel.

If you are on a budget and getting the razor overhauled anyway why not pick up a vintage razor? They are usually pretty cheap and have good steel.
That too occured to me asi a viable option. I'm not in the US and where I live, stumbling upon a cheap vintage is not common. They are either already restored and go for crazy money or they are beyond the point of saving even for the guy that does them around here. Titan was suggested to me by a gentleman owning many razors and long years of using them. Since my guy does them as a "standard package" I decided to go with it.

That too occured to me asi a viable option. I'm not in the US and where I live, stumbling upon a cheap vintage is not common. They are either already restored and go for crazy money or they are beyond the point of saving even for the guy that does them around here. Titan was suggested to me by a gentleman owning many razors and long years of using them. Since my guy does them as a "standard package" I decided to go with it.

Well it sounds like you have weighed your options and are making an informed choice. I applaud you for that!

if I was absolute beginner, I would probably quit after using this for the first time and go back to canned goo. If the smell of the Arko didn't make you second guess yourself, the smell of a new boar will.

I'm not saying these are bad products, just saying this is like taking a polar plunge instead of wading in the warm pool.

At least there isn't a bottle of the Veg in there, or I would have thought this is what you give someone as a prank.

This got me thinking, what would be the worst starter kit to give a beginner? 😈

I'd nominate a tuck of Feathers to replace Derby. A great blade and favorite of many, but not at all forgiving to beginners. Not sure about a razor. Something aggressive but cheap I guess.

Muhle R41, feather blades, snakebite aftershave.
That would be ruthless Dear lord! What a blood bath that would be. I have trouble with irritation and ingrowns and ani R41 with Astra SP will give me a great shave on day 1 and make me an absolute mess on day 3. And I have nearly 2 years of experience.

Muhle R41, feather blades, snakebite aftershave.
Nah, you could be meaner than that.. an old Rolls Razor and a bottle of either the snakebite or Captain's Choice Cat o Nine Tails aftershave. That's it, no instructions or help either.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For the record, some will disagree with me, and that's ok. I don't mind the smell of Arko, even though it reminds me of bug repellent.

BUT, if I was absolute beginner, I would probably quit after using this for the first time and go back to canned goo. If the smell of the Arko didn't make you second guess yourself, the smell of a new boar will.

I'm not saying these are bad products, just saying this is like taking a polar plunge instead of wading in the warm pool.

A synthetic brush and Proraso would be a better "starter" in my opinion, but I guess that would raise the price.

At least there isn't a bottle of the Veg in there, or I would have thought this is what you give someone as a prank.

View attachment 1393288
You are correct in your statement, you still have to buy known quality and all the software still has to be good or why change a old system.
I would think a person should get a good synthetic brush, good blades(100pc), good zamic razor, good soap and alum block for a Newbie and he or she would really enjoy shaving for around $50-60 dollars. He can add to his razor gear as time goes on and enjoy that part also. But some folks have a hard time being guided to reasonable inexpensive gear at reasonable prices that would give themselves many years of enjoyment. (shaving to some is still a chore, low priority.)
If people buy all high end gear he or she will take many years to justify buying into traditional wet shaving, it still has to be worth while for many folks.

There is one thing worse. Having nothing at all.
I agree that the boar would not be the optimal choice for a beginner, but then again it beats nothing.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
When I read the thread title, I looked to see whether the set included Derby blades.

It does. I concur with the title in that respect. Can't comment based on personal experience with regard to the other items. I do have some unopened Arko. But I'm saving it for the Apocolypse.

Worst beginners kit could be a thread on its own. For straight razor shaving:

A non-Feather shavette with Feather blades.
A Vegan strop
Whatever brush is cheapest on Amazon
Edge gel

Beginner kit:

Anything based on Old Type: Merkur 15C, Fatip Piccolo, etc
Arko: a luxury soap with a lovely scent & excellent performance
Synthetic brush: best synths are excellent & easier for noobs
Derby Extra, Astra Superior Stainless, Nacet: mild, medium & sharp

I too don´t think that beginner kit is all that bad. I was actually expecting much worse when I saw the title. I started with Derby blades in a Parker razor and a tweezerman boar brush. It didn´t turn me off at all. I did buy proraso soap though. Honestly there could be worse IMO.

Worst beginner kit? Gilette OTBE with feather blades, whatever the crappiest brush there is, and a puck of the straight up nothing-but-glycerin soap that Walmart used to sell.

Top Bottom