What's new

I couldn't think of a worse beginners kit

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am reminded of that line from Moonstruck. "It costs money because it saves money." You cannot get to realizing those savings unless you are in it for the long haul. If I am starting someone on wet shaving I want them to experience something nice enough that they will enjoy it and look back on it fondly or still be using it years later.

For the record, some will disagree with me, and that's ok. I don't mind the smell of Arko, even though it reminds me of bug repellent.

BUT, if I was absolute beginner, I would probably quit after using this for the first time and go back to canned goo. If the smell of the Arko didn't make you second guess yourself, the smell of a new boar will.

I'm not saying these are bad products, just saying this is like taking a polar plunge instead of wading in the warm pool.

A synthetic brush and Proraso would be a better "starter" in my opinion, but I guess that would raise the price.

At least there isn't a bottle of the Veg in there, or I would have thought this is what you give someone as a prank.
I'd swap the Derby blades for Treet carbon steel if I was playing a prank on someone, otherwise you're spot on. 😂

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Arko certainly has a lot of very enthusiastic devotees, but for some other scents for only a dollar or two more, Cremo has some nice ones.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
For me there's a difference between something like Arko, which clearly works for many and scent preferences/dislikes are subjective.

My dislike of Derby blades is based my own experience but objective criteria. I started out with Derby's. I don't think I ever got a very good or enjoyable shave with one, and in hindsight (based on broader experience) they've only gone down in my estimation.

Still, mileage varies.

For the record, some will disagree with me, and that's ok. I don't mind the smell of Arko, even though it reminds me of bug repellent.

BUT, if I was absolute beginner, I would probably quit after using this for the first time and go back to canned goo. If the smell of the Arko didn't make you second guess yourself, the smell of a new boar will.

I'm not saying these are bad products, just saying this is like taking a polar plunge instead of wading in the warm pool.

A synthetic brush and Proraso would be a better "starter" in my opinion, but I guess that would raise the price.

At least there isn't a bottle of the Veg in there, or I would have thought this is what you give someone as a prank.
I'd swap the Derby blades for Treet carbon steel if I was playing a prank on someone, otherwise you're spot on. 😂

I have the 10048 and it is a fantastic brush, as is the Proraso boar, but they do have a funk at first. But for a complete beginner who doesn't know it will have a funk to it I'd be caught off guard
when I bought my Semogue boar in '20, I fully expected it to have that "funk" and that it would take some time to get rid of it. But it smelled okay out of the box. I soaked it overnight or whatever advice people give here, and have never had any aromas at all.

when I bought my Semogue boar in '20, I fully expected it to have that "funk" and that it would take some time to get rid of it. But it smelled okay out of the box. I soaked it overnight or whatever advice people give here, and have never had any aromas at all.

I have heard several people say they don't have a bad funk with semouges. I wonder if they shampoo them or something from the factory? Maybe that's why omegas are so cheap.

I have heard several people say they don't have a bad funk with semouges. I wonder if they shampoo them or something from the factory? Maybe that's why omegas are so cheap.
Could be. I have two semouges and neither had a overpowering funk. Sure, there was a very faint animal hair odor. By faint I mean I had to tickle my nose with the brush when it was wet to notice it. I have no experience with Omega brushes.

Could be. I have two semouges and neither had a overpowering funk. Sure, there was a very faint animal hair odor. By faint I mean I had to tickle my nose with the brush when it was wet to notice it. I have no experience with Omega brushes.
My omega 10048 was like sitting in a hot tub with 27 labrador retrievers for a while. That or they spritzed it with eau de wet dog before leaving the factory

Last edited:
My omega 10048 was like sitting in a hot tub with 27 labrador retrievers for a while. That or the spritzed it with eau de wet dog before leaving the factory
Yeah not my experience with Semouge. Like I said you can smell it, but it doesn´t stink up the room. I couldn´t smell anything dry. I wet it just to see what the ¨boar brush stink" fuss was about. Could barely smell anything. I didn´t soak it just used it. Never noticed it again (soap tend to cover odors, of course).

Yeah not my experience with Semouge. Like I said you can smell it, but it doesn´t stink up the room. I couldn´t smell anything dry. I wet it just to see what the ¨boar brush stink" fuss was about. Could barely smell anything. I didn´t soak it just used it. Never noticed it again (soap tend to cover odors, of course).
Good to know! Not that I need another brush but may need to try one

My omega 10048 was like sitting in a hot tub with 27 labrador retrievers for a while. That or they spritzed it with eau de wet dog before leaving the factory
I had one Omega boar brush. It was like slapping your face with a wet fish that somehow managed to smell of wet dog. It was also poorly made. As it had no redeeming features at all I threw it in the bin. Life's too short for garbage products.

I had one Omega boar brush. It was like slapping your face with a wet fish that somehow managed to smell of wet dog. It was also poorly made. As it had no redeeming features at all I threw it in the bin. Life's too short for garbage products.

I wouldn't say the omega is a garbage product, but it takes time to break in. Also, the smell at first is bad. I know some people say that is part of the boar experience but when wet dog overpowers your soap, that's not the experience I am looking for. I recently used a deodorizing dog shampoo on my new omega and have had good results so far.

As far as the wet fish, well I haven't experienced that yet😂. Mine has softened up and broken in with use though.

I especially like using the boar with tubs of Proraso. It works very well with those soaps.

Top Bottom