What's new

I could use some help picking a knot or two

Merry Christmas Ladies and Gentlemen. I got a gift card that I would like to spend on a new knot for a brush handle I have. (pics attached) The hole diameter is 30 mm, and the depth is 10 mm. I can and will deepen the hole if necessary. I currently have mostly boar brushes, and love the soft tips with plenty of backbone. I also face lather exclusively. Should I go with a 28 mm knot? Or will a 30 mm fit? What loft would you recommend for enough backbone for soaps and face lathering? I am really leaning towards a TGN Silvertip to see what the best feels like, will it have the backbone I am looking for?

Pics of handle:
$Str8 pics 098.jpg

My current line up:
$Str8 pics 097.jpg

The butterscotch Simpsons and the Black and Silver Omega boar get the most use currently, so a big brush will be quite a change of pace.

Thanks for the help.

Nice handle. I would go with a 28mm TGN Finest knot and set it at 54mm loft. The lower you set the knot, the more it'll expand at the opening of the brush (and more backbone), so a 28mm knot if set low enough will measure around 30mm.

The TGN Finest knots are my favorite. They have a lot of backbone, yet very soft tips. You will not be disappointed. Most likely you'll have to deepen the hole.

Last edited:
Like stated above, for backbone you want a finest knot from TGN. To get the backbone from a silver tip knot you'll have to set it fairly deep (drilling at least another 15mm deep IMHO). Personally I haven't set a knot at above 50mm from TGN yet and I have been very happy. I would get a 30mm finest and set it at 50mm I would be hard pressed to think you would be disappointed.

Thanks for the answers Gentlemen. I will take the handle to work and drill it deeper. One, more question. When you are measuring the knot, is the plug included in the measurement? So a 68 mm deep knot would need a 14 mm deep hole to set it at 54 mm?

Thanks for the answers Gentlemen. I will take the handle to work and drill it deeper. One, more question. When you are measuring the knot, is the plug included in the measurement? So a 68 mm deep knot would need a 14 mm deep hole to set it at 54 mm?

Very good question, I am not 100% sure so I'll refrain...in my experience most plugs are around 8mm tall. Usually after I receive the knot, I play around with the depth of the handle. It might be difficult to visualize without a knot.

Ok, thanks for you're honesty about it. I will take another 10 mm out of the hole, for a total depth of 20 mm. That should give me enough room to play around and get it just right. I want to make sure the handle survives the drilling before I order the knot.

Yes the plug is included in the measurement, 50mm loft for a badger knot is just about the sweet spot, every mm makes a difference if you want it softer/floppier set loft higher, more backbone set lower. So a 54mm loft will be a very soft/floppy brush.

The factors that effect scrubby/floppy:
Hair grade softer=flexible
Hole Diameter, tight fit=more dense less floppy, loose fit=more floppy
Loft, 50mm is a good mid point, mm's count here, the more floppy you desire increase the loft, scrubby decrease. (54mm is very floppy)

If this is your first restore and you want it to have some of the characteristics of your bristle brushes but have the luxury of a good Badger Go for the 30mm finest set between 47-49mm and you won't go wrong. A Silvertip would be nice but I would probably wait til you know what you want so you don't end up setting an expensive knot in a nice handle at a depth you wish you could change but can't because it is set permanently.

Best of luck! I can't wait to see your final product:001_smile

I would recommend settin it with a little RTV silicone, this way you can still get it out and change the loft if you want to. I restored a brush a few weeks ago and I used RTV and it's holding like a champ. I would say a good place to start would be 50mm. oh yeah and go with TGN finest, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the replies. I will have a total hole depth of 20 mm when I am done drilling it, maybe a little more if there is room. I figure I can always fill it in with something if it is too deep. I will probably be using liquid nails clear silicone adhesive to glue it in place since I already have it on hand, but I will try it at different depths before permanently gluing it in there.

Thanks again!!

Ok, I got the handle milled out last night, and I ordered a 28 mm TGN finest XH today. The handle is actually hollow with a shaft sticking up in the middle. I found some spare parts at work to fill it in and a washer will be used as a platform for the knot. I'll post pics this weekend of everything.

I'll have some more questions about a Star brush handle next. It looks like bone, and has an 18 mm knot hole.

Thanks for the help.

I use modeling clay to fill in hollow handles. You can set the depth to exactly what you want and IMO, the weight balances out the brush nicely.

Good luck with the restoration.

Freehand

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I finished it the other night. The 28mm extra stuffed knot was the perfect choice. I used a rubber o ring around the base of the knot to hold it tight so it would stay seated all the way down, and some pieces of steel and aluminum to support the zinc plated washers I used as a shelf. I used Liquid Nails clear seal to hold the knot in place. The loft is set at 54 mm. I plan on using it tonight. :001_smile

Progress pics:

Parts all laid out $Str8 pics 100.jpg

I used two washers to get the loft just right $Str8 pics 101.jpg

All put together $Str8 pics 102.jpg

My modest collection so far $Str8 pics 103.jpg

That knot looks beautiful in that handle. I have one similar to it and I was thinking of a silver tip too, now I know that is what it will be.

What is the Liquid Nails product? It obviously isn't an epoxy, and also must not be a silicone caulk due to the labeling ("clearer than silicone"). Have you used it before? Is it either a latex or acrylic product?

Nice looking brush. Good job!

What is the Liquid Nails product? It obviously isn't an epoxy, and also must not be a silicone caulk due to the labeling ("clearer than silicone"). Have you used it before? Is it either a latex or acrylic product?

I see now that it is acrylic based. Seems like a good product. Let us know if you have any issues with it, as it should be easier to use than epoxy.

Top Bottom