What's new

I converted someone to DE shaving and didn't even know it!

Over the years I've tried to convert several people to DE shaving with little to no success. Most people couldn't care less and wouldn't even consider "traditional" shaving. My brother went half way and uses a DE razor. I had a coworker try it out for a while but I don't think he's doing it anymore. Whatever I guess, different strokes for different folks.

Yesterday I went to visit my daughter at her apartment and when I was in her bathroom I noticed that she had a DE razor! I may have tried to "recruit" her years ago but that went nowhere. That's why I was so surprised to see one hanging on her shower caddy. Maybe I was indirectly influencing her when she would see my razor hanging in its stand next to the sink whenever she was visiting but I thought that was a pretty cool discovery!

Nice!

Funny enough my sister spotted my gold fat handle tech when I was staying at her house this Christmas and commented on how cool it was. She's always talking about limiting her plastic waste so it would be cool if she at least tried it for a while. Her husband loves baking bread and has a million personna blades for cutting designs into dough. I never try to convert anyone though.

Nice!

Funny enough my sister spotted my gold fat handle tech when I was staying at her house this Christmas and commented on how cool it was. She's always talking about limiting her plastic waste so it would be cool if she at least tried it for a while. Her husband loves baking bread and has a million personna blades for cutting designs into dough. I never try to convert anyone though.
The line, "She's always talking about limiting her plastic waste" just struck a chord. My daughter was roommates with a girl who was into environmental studies and she had an influence on her elevating her consciousness about environmental matters. I'd bet that wanting to limit her plastic waste played a part in her getting a DE razor. (And may have been even a bigger influence than me! :laugh:)

Several years ago my wife's best friend was complaining about how bad the cartridge razors were for shaving her legs, so I chimed in from the other room that she should try DE, which got a round of jokes along the lines of "oh you just want to hands-on teach her how" etc.

A couple weeks later she starts texting me questions about DE shaving.. is it really better? what do you need to try it out? where do you get it all? How much is it? and so on. Ended up pointing her at a low cost but good brush/razor and giving her a good supply of a couple starter friendly blades and a pile of Arko sticks (she LOVED the scent).

A few months later, the next time both couples were hanging out again she not-at-all-quietly tells me that her husband wanted to thank me for helping her sort out her crotch hair situation but was too chicken to say it himself. She also refused to elaborate or give any kind of context to the other half dozen people in the room, and I was laughing too hard to get any words out.

Still the only person I've converted to DE in the 10-ish years since I switched.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... and a pile of Arko sticks (she LOVED the scent).
I have found that most women like/love/prefer the refined scent of ARKO. It's some men who don't appreciate the scent of delicate citrus with floral undertones.

If you want to attract or please a woman, ARKO is the way to go. For men, the choice is simple really. If you want to attract men, just don't use ARKO.

I have found that most women like/love/prefer the refined scent of ARKO. It's some men who don't appreciate the scent of delicate citrus with floral undertones.

If you want to attract or please a woman, ARKO is the way to go. For men, the choice is simple really. If you want to attract men, just don't use ARKO.

The way people tend to talk about it, I sometimes think I'm alone in being largely indifferent to the scent of Arko, heh.

Great story. We'll give you the credit for the conversion :)

It's funny, some hear of traditional wet shaving and have no interest. My wife has zero interest and has used Dove soap in the shower. A sister in law would visit and see my stuff in the bathroom and the family would nicely make fun of my obsession and shelf of shaving stuff. I always offered to lend people gear. Curiousity finally got her and she had tried and stuck with a DE, brush and soaps and occasionally asks what are new fun soaps and borrows samples from me.

I do think more may switch to DEs as people want to reduce waste associated with carts.

My elder brother is just started to use DE. He had not use it. this may be due to the sharp blade.
It costs anywhere from 5-10 cents, maybe a little more for a sharper blade, but nowhere near to 75 cents.

I got somebody started by buying them an inexpensive, yet good, DE razor for Christmas. After he got it, I sent him a coupld of good vids on using it.

My wife saw the great shaves I was getting and commented on it. I offered to buy her a razor in her favorite color and she jumped on it. She was watching, all along.

I was discussing blades with a friend who uses DE and I mentioned I have a few blades lying about due to mainly using straights if he wanted to try them. He gratefully appreciated so I gave them to him and thought no more of it. A few months later someone else asked me about blades. Apparently he overheard the conversation and decided to try DE after hearing about the irritation free shaves. I gave him a few bics, Nacets and polsilver blades too.

I also gave away a 72 aluminium handled tech (made in England so it is aluminium) and blades to someone who said his son wanted to get away from buying carts. He said he decided to keep the tech to tidy his beard. Not sure what his son is doing though.

I don't know if I've ever converted anybody. Well, Miss Linda uses my old cast-off Merkur 23C razor; I'm not sure if she used a plastic modern razor before that.

Thursday night at my writing group, the topic of shaving came up. All 3 of us wear beards. Both of the others said they hate shaving; I said, "I love it. Using an old-school safety razor and soap really works." For a little while we batted around the usual things about shaving after vs. before the shower, etc. I told 'em, "Let the soap or cream soak into your bristles for about 3 minutes before you apply the razor. That'll do more for you than most anything."

They did not seem convinced.

I had tried to get my dad back into it. He used Gillette’s for a very long time, up until he’d sadly converted to electric pfft He still shaves with Barbasol and a disposable Gillette, has been for years and years. I got him a Merkur 34C and Astra SP blades, he didn’t care for them too much. I got him Proraso Red foam, he loved it, yet still, same routine. Just the other week, he found some Derby DE blades at a store, they might’ve been on some kind of discount, as he said the guy sold them to him for $1!! He asked me about that razor 😌 I went ahead and found a really nice 1960 Super Speed. Really clean and ready for use after some light cleaning. I tried it and man, I could’ve kept it for myself haha but I do have my own! What a great shave! He’s in for a treat, as he’s about to go back, just like it used to be, and I’m feeling so proud and accomplished 😌

My bro used an electric like my dad used to. He dropped and broke it....and he came visit and I had him try DE w a TTO.... he ended up w some weepers, but I gave him a few soaps, brush and that razor..... he liked it and I have given him more stuff.

Just recently a buddy came by , unshaved looking bad.....he uses a cart....I said: you should try old style stuff. He said he used those when young as that was what his dad gave him.... Later he said taking that week beard was tough w cart....I gifted him a razor and some blades....and some non lathering gel....

For some reason, the brush/soap thing is what turns some people off (I think). Some discover the difference and then love it.

Top Bottom