What's new

I consider upgrading to a good quality badger brush,opinions needed...

@Big Jim is right; Finest is best. You can buy just about any brush, including cheap Chinese, and if it's advertised as a "Finest" badger, you're going to love it. If you wanna spend hundreds on Simpson or Shavemac or Rudy or whatever, I guess go for it. Just know that you can get those brushes for $30 from Aliexpress. If you prefer eBay and want a really nice big brush for around $50 with a very nice fan knot and horn handle, buy a Maseto.

I vote for D3 in Best 517D5CBC-D838-49FF-AD88-9F61E6D3DE8C.jpeg82C6D7EC-6DF5-42CB-96EE-C72F64BB9322.jpeg

@Big Jim is right; Finest is best. You can buy just about any brush, including cheap Chinese, and if it's advertised as a "Finest" badger, you're going to love it. If you wanna spend hundreds on Simpson or Shavemac or Rudy or whatever, I guess go for it. Just know that you can get those brushes for $30 from Aliexpress. If you prefer eBay and want a really nice big brush for around $50 with a very nice fan knot and horn handle, buy a Maseto.

Isn't the downside of those Aliexpress finests that most of them have gel tips? And from what I can find, it seems like Maseto has gel tips, too (correct me if I'm wrong). I think the reason people spend money on Simpson's, Shavemac, &c is to avoid the trend of chemical & heat treated tips...if you like a little scrub to your badger, then gel tips sorta undermine the whole thing.

Isn't the downside of those Aliexpress finests that most of them have gel tips? And from what I can find, it seems like Maseto has gel tips, too (correct me if I'm wrong). I think the reason people spend money on Simpson's, Shavemac, &c is to avoid the trend of chemical & heat treated tips...if you like a little scrub to your badger, then gel tips sorta undermine the whole thing.
None of my badgers have gel tips, including the Maseto. Some have scritch, others do not. None of them have been treated other than sterilization. Also I don't see the process built into the cost of a $10-$15 Finest badger from China. The one I paid $26 for is a Silvertip. It's nice but probably cost under $5 to make.

Also, as long as OP is happy, I mean to congratulate him/her. A good brush is a good brush, no matter the brand or cost.

None of my Maseto brushes have "gel tips". It might be nice if they did.

I have one "gelled" brush. Its Oumo. I like it a lot, however it does feel a bit...fake? It dries differently than regular badgers, wets differently too.

Top Bottom