What's new

I combined vegan and tallow tabac

I love tabac, it’s one of my favorite soaps. It’s also the first and only soap my wife has ever bought me (prior to being married so I want it to last forever. When I heard about the reformulation I immediately looked for some tallow versions but I was too late. I took a spin and purchased three separate purchases on Amazon and got 1 tallow 2 vegan. I had roughly half a puck left from my original tabac and I had this idea that maybe if I combined the two I could have a larger supply and negate the non-tallow properties that has been discussed a lot lately. I also thought if I keep combining the puck into a new one every time I change it it really will be endless.

Anyway here are some pictures of my process and the results. Honestly- I think it came out great, felt just like the ol tabac I know and love and my shave was excellent. I plan to combine my remaining tallow with another vegan to stretch it out.

Attachments

• 59884110-AE27-4D31-93D9-C238BA22BE18.jpeg
    59884110-AE27-4D31-93D9-C238BA22BE18.jpeg
    880.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 1B2C5FCC-5D9A-4A8A-873A-4BD411F41868.jpeg
    1B2C5FCC-5D9A-4A8A-873A-4BD411F41868.jpeg
    827 KB · Views: 82
  • BAD07FCE-1F85-47A2-BD4B-8ADAE846A482.jpeg
    BAD07FCE-1F85-47A2-BD4B-8ADAE846A482.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
Wait a second....I thought combining the tallow and vegan versions of Tabac would create a wormhole in the space-time continuum and cause the earth to be sucked into an endless void of despair and destruction.
Yes like crossing the streams on Ghostbusters

Why would tabac get rid of its tallow soap. I got no idea. But when I finish my two packs (probably in six-eight years). I won’t purchase a vegan version.

It's very simple: Mäurer & Wirtz, the producer of Tabac Original, received their supply of tallowate soap base from a company called Dreiringwerk in Krefeld (in the Lower Rhine area). That company went insolvent two years ago and was finally shut down in June last year. Since alternative suppliers of tallowate soap base were not available, M & W had to reformulate their soap. Practically all users in German wet shaving fora agree that no difference between the old tallowate and the new tallowate-free version could be made out.

Old tallowate version left-hand, new tallowate-free version right-hand side:

proxy.php

Last edited:
@CaptainGreybeard thats the press release version of m&w.

fact is wirtz once owned the production facility, spun it out, sold it, company that bought it went later bankrupt. one (the facility you mentioned) got closed down, but the other facilities are still operating (still as the biggest soap manufactorer in europe btw) and - here is the catch phrase - they still offer tallow based soaps.
it was a business decission of m&w to ditch tallow tabac - not some 'our hands are tied alternative suppliers of tallowate soap base were not available'-moment. even the brand name of the group that owned the one closed facility is still active and simply got picked up after insolvency and is still operating even under the same name.

long story short - the contractor who produced tallow tabac for m&w got picked up, changed ownership, is still producing tallow based soaps as europe biggest soapmaker but m&w simply isnt contracting them anymore.

It's very simple: Mäurer & Wirtz, the producer of Tabac Original, received their supply of tallowate soap base from a company called Dreiringwerk in Krefeld (in the Lower Rhine area). That company went insolvent two years ago and was finally shut down in June last year. Since alternative suppliers of tallowate soap base were not available, M & W had to reformulate their soap. Practically all users in German wet shaving fora agree that no difference between the old tallowate and the new tallowate-free version could be made out.

Old tallowate version left-hand, new tallowate-free version right-hand side:

proxy.php
Not surprising they work the same, the main ingredients are the same.

This vegan/tallow debate is misleading. Fat from animal or vegetable sources is almost identical for shaving soap purposes. When you break down tallow or vegetable oil with hydroxide the main product is stearate and glycerin in either case, the rest is insignificant or irrelevant.

Top Bottom