What's new

i Coloniali soap

I just picked up a dish of the mango oil soap from the Italian Barber and for the life of me I cannot make decent larger with it. I don't suppose someone here can make a bowl lather video for this stuff, perhaps brucered if he has some? If not, any suggestions?

Ha..i just logged in, saw the post, then my name.

sorry, don't have this one. but the funny thing is, i was on IB last night and went to add it to my cart and it's Out Of Stock.

it has always intrigued me with the terracota bowl and the mango oils etc. i'd be interested to see others thoughts and/or pics and videos if they can help you.

I've had no problem making great lather with this soap, I don't do anything different than with any other soap. Try loading more soap, try more water, try less water,,,, etc.

I soak the puck in hot water for a few minutes before loading then use the basic MWF technique and get a very good result. My son makes (and I've now copied) an uber-lather with it using their rhubarb cream with the mango soap. Surprisingly it smells great and the lather is outstanding. He's also done it with Nancy Boy Signature Cream (I haven't tried that one) and says it's also very good. I Coloniali is one of my favorites and is very conditioning.

Last edited:
This is the soap that started me down the glorious, slippery road of face-lathering. I'd advise trying it that way. Just rub it in your scruff.

Shaved with mine today, received yesterday. I expected a mango smell but instead I received a woodsy, smoky scent, very interesting. The more I smelled it the more I liked it, and the sent lasted on my face. Good lather and gotta love the Terra Cotta bowl. It is my ever-expanding short list. Cella tomorrow.

i soak the puck in hot water for a few minutes before loading then use the basic mwf technique and get a very good result. My son makes (and i've now copied) an uber-lather with it using their rhubarb cream with the mango soap. Surprisingly it smells great and the lather is outstanding. He's also done it with nancy boy signature cream (i haven't tried that one) and says it's also very good. I coloniali is one of my favorites and is very conditioning.

+1 water!

I actually did like the soap but then my lather wasn't always consistent. I also got it b/c I loved the Terracotta bowl it comes with and since my puck was almost done I chucked it out the remaining soap. So I now have the terracotta bowl with 2 La Toja sticks grated into it.

I just picked up a dish of the mango oil soap from the Italian Barber and for the life of me I cannot make decent larger with it. I don't suppose someone here can make a bowl lather video for this stuff, perhaps brucered if he has some? If not, any suggestions?
A) Don't expect mounds of lather; I Coloniali is somewhat parsimonious with what it delivers. (Whát it delivers is perfectly fine stuff, tough.)
B) Give the soap plenty of water in your brush (my small Rooney 3/1 st would then contain about 2 tbsp—i.e., utterly dry brush + 2 tbsp), and load until all the 'soapy water' has gone and has turned into proto-lather. You may need to use a tigh-fitting bowl with high rims to prevent water from running underneath the soap.

Point A) is the most important, otherwise you may be pushing the soap into a realm where it breaks down.

I received it some days ago. Meh... Naa...

I guess I am spoiled by much better performers such as Arko, Speick, Palmolive, ..., each for a fraction of the price and available locally at brick and mortar stores.

Nothing wrong with convenience. :)

I picked it up from WCS on one of its DoDs...haven't tried it yet, though. It'll make it into rotation one day. Definitely one of the more unique smelling soaps in my collection.

So I decided to test lather this one up, seeing as I had some time on my hands today. The scent is unique...yet kind of familiar (though I'm not sure where from). I've heard it described as smokey mango...ok...I'll buy that as I've no better way to describe it. I do like it, though...a lot. It comes in either a terra cotta bowl, or as a refill in an aluminum looking pouch (below). My puck was very cracked...don't know if that normal, but it didn't affect the lathering/loading.

Easy to load (I dipped the top of the puck in water and held it in my hand while loading), easy to lather, and easy to love the scent which blooms nice and warm during the process. I was also quite impressed with the lather feel after pulling it out of the brush and massaging it into my hands.

Pictures are as follows (loaded via the Marco method...gentle pump at the beginning to release a little excess water):

1) The pouch and the puck
2) The ingredients (crappy pic, not a great camera)
3) Loaded (100 swirls)
4) Following about a minute of bowl lathering
5) In the hand

Attachments

• $100_1071.jpg
    $100_1071.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 179
  • $100_1073.jpg
    $100_1073.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 179
  • $100_1075.jpg
    $100_1075.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 179
  • $100_1077.jpg
    $100_1077.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 177
  • $100_1078.jpg
    $100_1078.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 177
I love this soap but I have found in my usage, like others, it take more water than alot of soaps to get a descent lather. It's kinda like MWF, once you figure out the lather it's a great soap. :)

Chris

Came back to this one after a while and found it had dried out. It's best kept moist in a screw top pot (I use an old Cyril Salter cream tub). It's sold as a hard cream and it's best to think of it in that way rather than a hard soap puck. I find it works best slightly soft.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I was having some difficulty with this until I grated it, now it does fine with our semi-hard water. It does like wet as others have mentioned.

Top Bottom