What's new

I cant seem to get it right

All good idea so far. My first thought was taken already, a good old pouch of Carter Hall in a cob with a Bic lighter. But sometimes it's not easy to find Carter Hall in the wild. Sometimes it's much easier to find a good cigar shop that sells pipe tobacco.
Either way, it would be good to go back to your tobacconist with $25 instead of $12. Pick up a cob and an ounce of something by Cornell and Diehl. Their blends tend to be pretty dry in bulk, no need for a drying time. And start smoking that cob. You can't hurt a cob. And if you manage to, they're easily replaceable.

Next, I would have a conversation with the guy behind the counter. In specialty retail, part of the upcharge is a knowledgeable staff. So talk to him. Either he knows about pipe smoking or knows who does. And nothing in the world, except experience, beats sitting down with someone face to face and him showing as you're going.

My first reaction after reading the OP was he's enjoying the flavor, he's enjoying the time spent smoking. Everything else is a detail. And I'll tell you a a general rule, your smokes get more and more pleasant and enjoyable.

Well i went out for a smoke tonight and i had a better experience. I didn't worry about the pipe going out so i was more relaxed. I puffed less and I feel like i got better flavor. I think it also helped that my lighter came today, and i got a better, more even light. I still need to work on packing, but tonight went better.

I appreciate all the kind and helpful advice. I feel like tonight was more enjoyable because i wasn't worried about perfection and instead just focused on relaxation.

I also got a bonus from work tonight, and i got a few new toys. I got s new pipe, this one really spoke to me for some reason, and i also picked up a better reamer, some pipe cleaners, and a maple walnut tobacco. My new pipe lighter also came and is pictured.

Thanks everyone. I will continue to update everyone as i progress in the hobby.

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_191207711.jpg
    IMG_20201223_191207711.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20201223_191213210.jpg
    IMG_20201223_191213210.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
Well i went out for a smoke tonight and i had a better experience. I didn't worry about the pipe going out so i was more relaxed. I puffed less and I feel like i got better flavor. I think it also helped that my lighter came today, and i got a better, more even light. I still need to work on packing, but tonight went better.

I appreciate all the kind and helpful advice. I feel like tonight was more enjoyable because i wasn't worried about perfection and instead just focused on relaxation.

I also got a bonus from work tonight, and i got a few new toys. I got s new pipe, this one really spoke to me for some reason, and i also picked up a better reamer, some pipe cleaners, and a maple walnut tobacco. My new pipe lighter also came and is pictured.

It should be months possibly years before you need that reamer!

I have some estate pipes i picked ip a while ago that will need cleaning up, so i bought it more for that process. I am going to start a new thread on that soon as i have some questions
Ok. Great! Was hoping the guy at the shop sold it to you because you were new. 😁

Good luck on the restores. It's a fun but slowish process. I cleaned up 30some old kaywoodies I bought in a lot and sold them to my shop. Shop owner laughed at me for paying 2-3 bucks a pipe. I think all but four were able to be cleaned up. Made $10 or more per pipe. Shop owner thanked me for all the basket pipes. He made as much as me on the consignments.

I just reamed and cleaned up while watching TV...

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Love that Zippo. Reminds me of my first Zippo pipe lighter.

Try and use only Zippo fluid in it. The new formula is close to tasteless, which is better than the fluid that was around back when I started with one.

Two tips: only fill the pipe inserts 1/2 full with fluid. And allow the flame a couple seconds to stabilize after lighting it. You’ll get the cleanest possible light with them that way.

Enjoy your journey.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I have the same reamer - excellent. Leave a bit of cake in the bowl.

Top Bottom