What's new

I can't seem to find a solution to my shaving problem.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Nerolioil I think it is time to find the proper and not too expensive DE razor for you, plus a fitting blade. I prefer in general very aggressive razors, but that's probably not the safest bet to start out with DE razors. I also do not know where you live and what razors are readily available to you.

The King C. Gillette Double Edge razor might be available for you on Amazon or locally. It also comes with a nice pack of Gillette blades, enough for your first attempts. If you are Canadian, by all means read up about the excellent Razorock razors and get one. They are among my favorites.

I hope some other community members see this and come to your aid, I started wetshaving with a DE razor many years ago and often have problems remembering my early experience.

This might now sound pretty dramatic, but heartfelt best wishes and good luck! :thumbsup:

A shot in the dark: if you are Italian, check out: Rasoigoodfellas | Vendita online dei migliori prodotti per la cura dell'uomo - https://www.rasoigoodfellas.com/

Jaguar is boar, right? It takes a bit before it performs perfectly but there are plenty of threads how to go about it :thumbsup:
Product name is jaguar 771 s.
They don't sell boar products here. Seller says it is sable (maybe that's what s stands for) . If you think it won't work, I can cancel it until tomorrow.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
They don't sell boar products here. Seller says it is sable (maybe that's what s stands for) . If you think it won't work, I can cancel it until tomorrow.
The jaguar is a boar bristle brush, but a bit floppy for my taste, I'm not saying it won't work for you (my local barber sells them).
I'm with the other advice on this thread, get a brush, soap and DE razor and just give it a go. You don't need pre-shave but if you do your soap lather goes on top of it. There is plenty of advice on B&B, but in case you're wondering, the equipment you buy now will likely not be what you're using in a couple of years as you get to know what you like.

Excuse my asking, but do you happen to live in a Muslim country?
I haven't heard of "sable" brushes. Most of the Jaguars I have seen are boar. I have a friend who lived for 2 years in Turkey. He says they sell there boar bristle brushes and some sellers would lie it is horse or badger or whatever.

Synthetic brushes are easier to use, lather faster, and don't require a break-in period to perform their best. I would strongly recommend starting with a synthetic brush.
They also dry quickly. You don't have to hang a brush for it to dry. Just squeeze water out, towel dry, and let it sit somewhere outside the bathroom. It will be dry within a few hours.

I know Jaguar brushes are made in Turkey. Some of their brushes do use boar hair. AFAIK, Muslims are not prohibited from using boar brushes, they just cannot eat pork.

The sable is similar to a ferret or weasel. Pretty unlikely they are using it for a shaving brush since the fur is more valuable for making other things.

The "s" might stand for synthetic. That might be fine. The standard 771 brush is a boar brush, I believe.

I sometimes shave twice a day on Saturdays, because I skipped on Friday. But at the end of the week I've still only shaved 7 times.

If you shave twice a day, do you shave twice a day every day?
I didn't mean myself exactly. I shave every day. No skipping. But a few times a year I will shave in the evening also, when the morning shave wasn't close.

I am sure there are users here who have mentioned they shave every day twice. Also there are people on other forums. At least there were such users who have mentioned it back 10-12 years ago.

The pictures I have found actually look more like a synthetic to me. https://www.hepsiburada.com/jaguar-771-s-professional-tiras-fircasi-siyah-p-hbv00000fs8yz
Yes this is the product I was talking about.
Excuse my asking, but do you happen to live in a Muslim country?
I haven't heard of "sable" brushes. Most of the Jaguars I have seen are boar. I have a friend who lived for 2 years in Turkey. He says they sell there boar bristle brushes and some sellers would lie it is horse or badger or whatever.
I live in Turkey.
Q&A says it's sable and horse mix, but considering what you're friend told you, I guess they wanted to mean badger but somehow mistook badger for sable(?). It's probably a lie anyway, so I am planing to go with one of the synthetic brushes of omega.

Yes this is the product I was talking about.

I live in Turkey.
Q&A says it's sable and horse mix, but considering what you're friend told you, I guess they wanted to mean badger but somehow mistook badger for sable(?). It's probably a lie anyway, so I am planing to go with one of the synthetic brushes of omega.
Badger and horse would be really an uncommon thing. Badger and Boar can produce excellent brushes. 100% horse is an acquired taste - definitely not mine.

Anyway an Omega Synth Brush is an excellent start. Personally I like the S10065 quite well and use it as one of my travel brushes.

DC443FF7-DFD9-4F5A-90EB-1E17C932C867.jpeg

Fisrt, do a reasrch regarding Traditional wet shaving, your answer is there, get Brush, soap, DE razor, and start
Forget all cartrage bull crap, canned gels and foam.
You will not cut yourself, safety razor is called SAFETY razor for a reason.

I recommend seeking advice, a demonstration tutorial, and a critique of your technique from an experienced shaver within your family or friends. Nothing wrong with asking for help from an expert.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Nerolioil, I wish I had some sound advice for you. I don't really know what products are available to you since you live in Turkey. I'm also very new to wet shaving myself. I just started in the middle of February.

So, in addition to the good advice already posted, you might look through the various threads that reflect the journey of others here who have gone through similar things. I've done that with so many things here. Reading current and even past threads has shortened the learning curve by leaps and bounds.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Nerolioil Perma-Sharp blades (also made my Gillette) seem to be the most popular brand in Turkey, they are also extremely popular outside.
Turkey has no shortage of barbershops. I am not sure about the mid price offerings. In the high end segment Barbaros and Rocnel are famous.

Oh yes, and one more thing, I have found that sharper blades are better
I would recomend sharp blade with mild razor

Top Bottom