What's new

I can't get a comfortable shave with my 40's-style Super Speed

I can't for the life of me get an irritation-free shave out of my Y2 date code 40's-style Super Speed. I thought these were supposed to be mild shavers. Did I get a dud, or is this a big case of YMMV?

The razor itself has a lot of plating wear, but it looks mechanically perfect: the safety bars look straight, perfectly aligned, and consistently spaced on both sides. Nothing indicates any sort of impact damage.

The first blade I tried was a Shark Chrome. I get good results with this blade in my other DEs. After the first shave I got a lot of irritation. I was hyper aware of blade angle and pressure on the second shave and got better results, but still too much irritation. I thought I got a dud blade and changed it out.

Next up was the Shark Stainless, my daily blade. After enough passes and touchup to get a normal BBS, I ended up with a lot of burn and irritation. Dang!

The odd thing it that I get fantastic shaves with my Red Tip and my Slim, and get nice, smooth, mild shaves with my Tech. Even a beat-to-hell 70's Black Handle SS that I bent back into shape gives me a decent, irritation-free shave.

Is there something special or different about the 40's-style SS that requires special handling, or is this a razor that just doesn't agree with me?

Thanks,
K.T.

I don't know whats up with the SS, I can't get it to work either. It was the first razor I bought and after a few uses I thought DE was rubbish, then I used a Tech, Redtip, Fatboy with no problem whatsoever. Tried the SS some time later, same problem, just doesn't work for me (and you) I guess.

I run a Milord which is essentially a gold plated 40's SS. I find it a very mild razor, possibly 3 to 4 on the Slim scale. This being the case, I find the razor being a spectacular performer with Feather or Iridiums. Lesser blades just don't cut it.

DF

Maybe it's a blade thing then, i 've not tried either of those. I have some 7 O'Clock Greens (Russian) on the way, maybe that will be better/sharper

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anyone can learn to use any razor effectively.
The 40's SS has enough fans that it can't be a terrible example of shaving gear.
If you get good shaves with other razors, and come back to it, and still have problems - regardless of how it looks to the naked eye, it may just be that particular razor.
A drop here or there over 60 years would not be unbelievable, and sometimes the difference is not noticeable to the eye, but the face tells a different story.

I use feather blades in my '47 SS and it's fantastic. My go to razor. Try a feather and see if it helps. I find a Red Tip to harsh. Strange how they work for some and not others.

The acronym "YMMV" is used frequently here for a reason.

With shaving, everyone can have a different experience.

I've tried a variety of Superspeeds off and on and just don't like them - they're either too gentle (but who doesn't love a six-pass shave with stubble?) or too aggressive (who needs skin?). I've never found the right blades for them or, maybe, they're just not right for me. No big loss.

Now, proper technique, the right lather, the right blade, etc. all play a roll. If you get great shaves from other razors and not from Superspeeds, then don't use a Superspeed. If you're getting mediocre or poor shaves with all razors, then look at your technique and make changes. Even after a couple of years of shaving, I find myself periodically falling back into a bad habit (wrong angle, too much pressure, etc.) from years of cartridge shaving.

I find it a very nice shaver. I've used a Flare and Slim, seems comparable to me. Just a thought, why not try a blade from a different manufacturer, even one considered less sharp? Might be you just need to find a good combo.

The 40's SS has enough fans that it can't be a terrible example of shaving gear.
If you get good shaves with other razors, and come back to it, and still have problems - regardless of how it looks to the naked eye, it may just be that particular razor.
A drop here or there over 60 years would not be unbelievable, and sometimes the difference is not noticeable to the eye, but the face tells a different story.

As usual...excellent advice from Phil here. Dont get rid of that SS just because you're having some challenges with it now...it will come in time. Find what works for you, use it for a few months and then give that SS a whirl again.

I've done this with a few things that didn't work for me in the beginning (razors, soaps, aftershaves) and eventually, it all comes together.

I shave almost exclusively with my 40's no date code SS and love it (I also use a Fat Boy, but like my SS more). I've found the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows or Blacks work best for me in that particular razor. Gillette Bleue Extras also work very well.

The ss was 1 of the first i bought and when i used it first i was really dissapointed with the shaves it gave, a week ago i got the ss back out and what a differance a year makes, fantastic shaves so it was not the razor but me.

G

GLteam

Maybe it's a blade thing then, i 've not tried either of those. I have some 7 O'Clock Greens (Russian) on the way, maybe that will be better/sharper

This could be the case. Have you tried 'Corking' your blade before using it? Corking a Razor blade, is to run the very edge of the blade through a wine cork a few times to condition the edge before shaving. Do not push the blade into the cork, just let the sharpness of the edge VERY lightly cut into the cork... about 5 to 7 passes should work. Make sure to 'cork' both edges. I 'cork' every new blade, and get good results every time. Hope this works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I had the same problem. Most of it was technique but blades made a hbuge difference. I used my SS with Iridiums today instead of my new Feather Stainless, got a fantastic shave. I also get good results with the 7 o'clock yellows, I guess it likes russian blades. Anyhow I was going to sell it until I started experimenting with blades.

I just got one today from my wife's grandfather, so I'll have to clean it up, try it out, and let you know. I'll probably use a Gillette Russian Green or a Bluebird in it.

Date code on this one is 1953.

I also picked up a 1964 Slim Adjustable I'll be trying out.

I have used a razor once and then pronounced it not fit even for a door stop,
only to revisit it some months later to be amazed what a great shave "it just gave".

I think being locked in a dark drawer for months makes a razor think twice about irritating your face.....LOL

Best of luck.

Phil aka lovmysuper gave it to you straight.

Thanks. I'll put it in the box and revisit it later when my face feels more fortified. I'm hoping it's a blade or technique thing and not a defective razor thing.

I had a similar turnaround with my Krona. For the longest time I couldn't get a close shave with it. It never gave me burn or irritation, but I couldn't get anything closer than a CCS no matter what I tried. I put it away. Then about three months later l revisited it. Nothing changed in my setup, but I started getting regular, easy BBS shaves. I can't think of anything I did differently, so maybe it was something very subtle and unconscious. Maybe there was some improvement in my technique that was real, but that I was unconscious of.

Thanks for the advice. I'll revisit the 40's SS when I get the calling. I'm sure it'll work out by some mysterious means.

Best,
K.T.

i've been using a 48-50 ss for the last few weeks with astra superior platinums and find it gives a very good shave- even on the neck, which is typically a difficult area for me. i like it better than a 50s flared tip ss, but not as much as a 46-47 aristocrat, which does seem a tad bit more aggressive. i would echo above suggestions to keep trying different blades.

Last edited:
I had a very similar experience with my 40's SS. I love my flair tips, so thought I would try a 40's SS. Boy was I disappointed!! Then I tried Gillette Yellows and BINGO!!, great shave. I have found the the Yellows and the red IPs work really well in it.
So try different blades before you give up on it.

I have a Y1 that I was not that impressed with.
I wanted to blame it on the Dorco 301's I was using.
I decided to devote a week to the Superspeed and I'll be darned if I haven't gained a new appreciation for this razor.
luvmysuper couldnt be more right.

Top Bottom