What's new

I Broke My Bodum

I've had the chemix in the cart several times
Do you have the special long neck kettle? Its also having another "appliance" hanging around. But you've got me looking at it again :)

I have thought about Chemex but I really prefer french press over drip.

Ok. Placed my order for two replacement beakers and added a tin of Illy Costa Rican whole bean coffee to get free shipping. It won't be long before I'm back in the saddle as they say.

I have a stainless metal vacuum bodum press, an aeropress, a pourover, Breville esspresso machine, Breville ceramic conical burr grinder, a hario hand grinder, and a genie coffee roaster... beginner/intermediate in the coffee game.

It boils down to personal preference. The bodum is only used when we need to make larger quantities... then it's actually a decision over the bodum or the pour over.

I do think the Aeroress is the best coffee maker under $500. IMO the key to good coffee on a budget is a $10 garage sale hot air popcorn popper, $100 burr grinder, and a $30 Aeroress. The best green beans in the world can be had for ~$6/lb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have a stainless metal vacuum bodum press, an aeropress, a pourover, Breville esspresso machine, Breville ceramic conical burr grinder, a hario hand grinder, and a genie coffee roaster... beginner/intermediate in the coffee game.

It boils down to personal preference. The bodum is only used when we need to make larger quantities... then it's actually a decision over the bodum or the pour over.

I do think the Aeroress is the best coffee maker under $500. IMO the key to good coffee on a budget is a $10 garage sale hot air popcorn popper, $100 burr grinder, and a $30 Aeroress. The best green beans in the world can be had for ~$6/lb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Somehow I would think you are much more than a beginner/intermediate. Certainly a solid intermediate but leaning into the advanced category. Is the popcorn popper for roasting beans? If not, what then?

Somehow I would think you are much more than a beginner/intermediate. Certainly a solid intermediate but leaning into the advanced category. Is the popcorn popper for roasting beans? If not, what then?

Yes the popcorn popper is for roasting beans. I'm a beginner/intermediate because once I started roasting my own, I saw an entire different world. There's some seriously expert dudes out there. It's not unlike discovering DE wet shaving for the first time.

I think most folks who are into proper wet shaving would have the personality to enjoy the coffee hobby as well. You might want to see if you have a hot air popcorn popper around. You'll actually be saving $$$. The best green beans are cheaper than the store bought stuff.

Check this dude out... he's getting to the expert stage.

Yes the popcorn popper is for roasting beans. I'm a beginner/intermediate because once I started roasting my own, I saw an entire different world. There's some seriously expert dudes out there. It's not unlike discovering DE wet shaving for the first time.

I think most folks who are into proper wet shaving would have the personality to enjoy the coffee hobby as well. You might want to see if you have a hot air popcorn popper around. You'll actually be saving $$$. The best green beans are cheaper than the store bought stuff.

Check this dude out... he's getting to the expert stage.

Oh, yeah. I do have the capacity to become entirely enmeshed in the coffee habit as I have with shaving. But that would likely lead to divorce. Our kitchen is way too small for a whole roasting set up. I barely have room for a grinder. I'm ok with buying whole beans and grinding them myself. There are tons of places nearby that sell beans so I'll never be without a wide selection within a 2 minute drive. But I do want to get an espresso machine. I can't justify it financially right now but I went through a ton of research and picked one out as well as a grinder specifically devoted to espresso. One day.

I remember researching the chemix pour over. Just looked it up again. I find it very interesting but I don't feel like I've got the time required in the morning
Chemex doesn't take any longer than Mr Coffee. I have a cheap electric kettle, short fat spout, heats to boil in about 4 minutes, another 4 minutes to pour over. Chemex filter are real tight, virtually no oils or bitterness gets through, micro reheating tastes almost fresh.

When I was in Baja (Guerrero Negro), they had green coffee beans in the supermarket as a normal everyday thing. I don't know how people roasted them though.

When I was in Baja (Guerrero Negro), they had green coffee beans in the supermarket as a normal everyday thing. I don't know how people roasted them though.

Frying pan over an open flame works fine.

During the civil war, solders roasted using pans in the field and ground the beans with the butts of their rifles.

Frying pan over an open flame works fine.

During the civil war, solders roasted using pans in the field and ground the beans with the butts of their rifles.

You mean it's not cool to do that anymore? I've been doing it every morning since I can remember. After I grind the beans with the butt of my rifle I just toss them in my metal cup, add water and just chug the whole thing down, beans and all. A little crunchy but I get that kick I need. Who woulda thunk?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You mean it's not cool to do that anymore? I've been doing it every morning since I can remember. After I grind the beans with the butt of my rifle I just toss them in my metal cup, add water and just chug the whole thing down, beans and all. A little crunchy but I get that kick I need. Who woulda thunk?
I used to do that until my rifle went off.....

Yay. My two new french press beakers are supposed to be delivered today along with a tin of some Illy Costa Rican single origin coffee beans. I also bought some La Colombe Savoia beans yesterday so looking forward to going through two new to me coffees.

Great

I was thinking of you while making a 3 cup press of 70% Java, 30% Yemen in my Bodum Columbia a few minutes ago.

A man needs backup brew devices.

Great

I was thinking of you while making a 3 cup press of 70% Java, 30% Yemen in my Bodum Columbia a few minutes ago.

You got that right. I went through my camping gear and found a french press to use this morning. It’s plastic but good enough for two big cups of coffee. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

I've gotta round up my presses and take a family portrait someday.

I only have 4 out in the kitchen but there has to be another 6 or so somewhere around here and press coffee is my least favorite method of brewing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My favorite way of making coffee is just get the Melitta coffee strainer with a #4 paper strainer for 1 cup, boil filtered water for the coffee and let cool a bit take a heap or 1TBS of freshly ground gourmet coffee with a preheated cup and pour the hot water into the strainer with the cup catching it. The secret is to make sure you stir a bit with the water as it is filtering and it brings the richness out of the grounds to give one of the best cups you can wish for.(I'm the only coffee drinker in our family.) I have tried perking, drip machines and a make shift Bodum and nothing beats a simple Melitta filter process.
Consumer report did a test on Youtube with professional taste testers blind folded and the Melitta cup strainer:001_wub: was the best coffee they tasted.(but everyone has their methods of the perfect brew, its like shaving there are so many different methods and combinations blade and razors you might not get a straight answer.):lol:

Great

Yemen... you've been stashing away a private reserve? They're hard to come by these days. Now that the cold weather is here... I would love some Yemen Mokha Ismaili. Love that hot chocolate/cocoa like taste.

Yemen... you've been stashing away a private reserve? They're hard to come by these days. Now that the cold weather is here... I would love some Yemen Mokha Ismaili. Love that hot chocolate/cocoa like taste.

I had the opportunity to purchase 10# of it a year ago which was before the war/fighting broke out again.

I don't think I will see any more of this origin in my lifetime seeing as how badly the country and its people are now

I had the opportunity to purchase 10# of it a year ago which was before the war/fighting broke out again.

I don't think I will see any more of this origin in my lifetime seeing as how badly the country and its people are now

Smart... wish I had hoarded. Really a shame what's going on.

Oh guys that's glass, it's always risky.

Nothing wrong with glass. You just have to be a little careful is all. I bought two replacement beakers and am good to go. The first one lasted from 1993 until now. I think this next one will probably last a good long while. I may never need the spare I bought.

Top Bottom