What's new

I Bought Another Razor - Rex Ambassador Adjustable DE Razor

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
All the more reason not to start at 6, not that I mind a little bloodshed! You should have taken up the newbie blade PIF, I think somebody needs to get you some Silver Blues or even Astra SPs for that new razor.

Yep, your right, I am learning the hard way as I go, but learning powerful lessons in the process, both in my amazing successes, and also in my failures. Regarding my shaving supplies, so far, I have been buying everything I own, and I take pride in that. Sure, I might put a razor on credit and thereby owe money to my credit company, but still, I bought my own stuff, nothing was given to me.

While my life might be a bit of a charity case, (I won't be going into that) I don't wish to be handed out stuff where I feel like I owe someone in return. Now, if it were an official giveaway, and I won the giveaway, thats kind of different. So anyways, on another topic, spring is here guys, and you know what that means, I am going to start getting busy.

But still hoping to put in lots of reports on the Rex Ambassador at least.

Yep, your right, I am learning the hard way as I go, but learning powerful lessons in the process, both in my amazing successes, and also in my failures. Regarding my shaving supplies, so far, I have been buying everything I own, and I take pride in that. Sure, I might put a razor on credit and thereby owe money to my credit company, but still, I bought my own stuff, nothing was given to me.

While my life might be a bit of a charity case, (I won't be going into that) I don't wish to be handed out stuff where I feel like I owe someone in return. Now, if it were an official giveaway, and I won the giveaway, thats kind of different. So anyways, on another topic, spring is here guys, and you know what that means, I am going to start getting busy.

You and I are a lot more similar than I care to get into, I could tell reading what you type. I just put the same amount on my credit to get a straight razor because saving $50 to get something less than I want doesn't make sense to me at that level. If you want some blades, just PM me. I won't tell anybody. 🤫

By the way, it's called PIF. Pay it forward, that implies that you are going to help somebody at a later time.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You and I are a lot more similar than I care to get into, I could tell reading what you type. I just put the same amount on my credit to get a straight razor because saving $50 to get something less than I want doesn't make sense to me at that level. If you want some blades, just PM me. I won't tell anybody. 🤫

By the way, it's called PIF. Pay it forward, that implies that you are going to help somebody at a later time.

Yes, we apparently are twin brothers from another mother. The universe is funny that way HEHE. And that is exactly the way I made my purchase. I looked at several brands of cheaper adjustable razors. But, I didn't want something that was chrome plated, only to chip later, or using substandard parts, only to corrode later.

I wanted a solid hunk of stainless steel, I want to feel the weight of a tank in my hands. Well, not quite literally, a tank would crush my hand, they weigh like what 12-tons? :lol: I was amazed when I found out that the Rex Ambassador, weighs even more then my Feather AS-D2 razor! My feather weighs like 3.4 ounces, and I think the Ambassador weighs like 3.7 ounces.

I have no doubt that the Rex is going to be a razor I will have to get used to. But at the same time, I also think that I am going to love it to pieces, all 10 of them. HEHE 😁 I really hope that you love your higher end SR razor. I hope its already sharp and honed ready to go. And I hope you got a strop and hone for doing your own sharpening. Or, I guess you could just have a barber do it for you I suppose.

But either way, hope we both are going to enjoy our razors a lot. Next thing you know, the scene will go like this.........................

"Honey, whats that on the end table?" "Oh thats just my Rex Ambassador razor, you weren't supposed to see that, I just can't keep my eyes off it." "How much did you pay for it?" "Hmm, you don't wanna know." "How much?" "Hmm, 222 dollars, but its for the greater good!" "Honey, I am the greater good your ever gonna get." Door slams. 🤣

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

One of the B&B traditions is the PIF.

As you likely already know PIF stands for and means Pay It Forward. Basically this means you accept a gift from someone - the gift might be a tangible item such as a brush or it might be helpful tips - and then down the road, instead of paying back the person who gave to you, you pay it forward by giving to someone else.

One of the benefits of the PIF way of looking at and doing things is the culture it creates, but that's not all. Think about how it's better to give than to receive. In order for someone to get the joy of giving someone else has to be on the receiving end. You're doing someone a favor by accepting their gift. Yes, you're also incurring a debt, but not a debt to the giver. Instead it's sort of a debt to yourself in a funny kind of way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You guys won't believe it, but my Rex Ambassador came a day early! But yesterday I was dealing with a splitting headache, and after spending time processing all the photo's I took of my new razor, I just couldn't do anymore screen time, and I just went to bed. Thankfully, the headache was gone after I woke up. OK guys, I took many more pictures of my Rex Ambassador, so its going to be like a picture book for you to love to your hearts content hehe.

New England Shaving was so nice, they sent me a pack of Astra blades with my razor, they didn't have to, but they did, so I have to at least thank them for that in my post, and share a picture.

proxy.php

The Box!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Rex Ambassador Razor With No Blade In It!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Rex Ambassador Head

proxy.php
proxy.php

Rex Ambassador With Feather Blade Installed!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

And now, the Rex Ambassador, is taking its rightful place, on the thrown!

proxy.php

Though, I had to shall we say, slightly modify the fork hook because well, lets just say the Rex Ambassador has a very proud stance with its girthy handle, and so it wouldn't fit, until I widened the fork hook on the stand. LOL!

First look impressions?

This razor came shipped with a lot of manufacturing dust, I didn't realize just how bad, until I looked at my pictures. It wouldn't have taken me far to long to remove all the dust in post production, so I didn't bother, my headache wouldn't have allowed me to do so, even I wanted to in the first place. I would appreciate it if Rex could ship these a bit cleaner.

Having said that however, this is a truly beautiful razor! And it came with a card that says it was quality checked by DJ, well thanks DJ! lol - as you can see by the open boxed picture, you can see it sitting loud and proud, nestled in its little travel journey foam. This is a hefty razor guys, you most certainly feel the weight in your hand. But thats steel baby, no better feeling in your hand, no plastic here, no sir!

As you can see by the pictures, the razor head has a brush textured appearance, to get 316 steel brushed, that costs a lot of money. From what I can tell, the razor head has no apparent defectiveness that I can detect. If you spot anything strange, other then the obvious manufacturing dust, be sure to let me know. The handle itself also looks amazing, a very nice textured super grip.

The bottom knob operates the head removal and install, the top knob operates the blade aggression. The Rex Ambassador is a 10-piece design, that from what I can tell, are a high quality design! Nothing about this razor so far appears cheap. I love that the serial number is stamped on the razor itself, none of this, will put it on the instruction booklet and make you pray you don't lose it bit.

The Rex Ambassador is made in the USA. And if you live in the USA like me, then you will appreciate supporting a local business, and supporting local jobs and manufacturing, which frankly, our country needs a lot more right now, both in jobs, and boosting the economy. From what I can tell, Matt is a fairly stand up guy. Should I have any problems, I will know that he will have me covered.

But it does give me some confidence that both A, the razor was checked for quality by DJ, and B, I myself don't notice any issues with the razor so far. The bottom knob works fine, as I was able to pull the head apart, and install a blade. And the top knob functions perfectly fine as well. Although, I sure was surprised that the increase of aggression is achieved by going, counterclockwise on the knob! Decreasing aggression is clockwise.

I haven't had a chance to use the razor yet, I have plans to later today. But I just wanted to hurry up and get this post out there, so you all can enjoy the pics, and get a sense of my first impressions. Someone on the board said that if I didn't cut myself first time using my Rex Ambassador, they would give me an award or something. lol! 😂

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Congrats, StarTreker. I'm excited for you.... looking forward to the reports from your first shave. Not my place, but if were you, I'd start with an Astra blade.... my two cents.

On a happy note, my PAA brushes are out for delivery... they were supposed to show up on Monday. Shocking....

Jeez, for having a splitting head ache, somebody sure is happy!

And rightfully so. Congratulations on your new face peeler! 😈

Now, let’s see proof that you didn’t cut yourself to claim your prize. :lol:

Why are you so stubborn, I called and had them sneak those Astra SPs into the box and you still put a Feather in it! :cursing:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Alright folks, the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. I am here to put in my report on my experience, with the Rex Ambassador razor. Wait, should I just draw this out longer and post this tomorrow? No! OK ok, according to public opinion, you guys all want the report now. Sheesh, the suspense is killing me, I hope it will last. :p But hmm, you should grab a coffee, its going to be awhile.

So, todays soapy accoutrement, was none other then the Porasso Sandlewood soap. Yes, nothing says a good lather like some Porasso on the face, gimme more of that! And whipped up in my Captains Choice lathering bowl for good measure.

proxy.php
proxy.php

So, I took my Rex Ambassador off the stand and I said the words, "My God your heavy, and I freaking love it!" Nothing like the feeling of 316 stainless to brighten my day. Ya I know, I am easy to please, I have ADD what can ya do. I am sorry to disappoint APBinNCA, but the Astra box has not been touched, for a brand new Feather was placed in the razor at the time I took the pics, and thats what I used today!

And I am also sorry to disappoint CaveDiver, for he won't be spelunking his way through a cave, to send in a medevac, as I didn't have an accident. However, you guys putting the fear of God in me in regards to the Rex Ambassador, let me down a path of being a bit too careful I think. Although, can you really be too careful with razor blades these days? I guess as the expression says, better safe then sorry I suppose.

Once my face was all lathered up, I decided to follow recommendation and begin my WTG passes with setting level 3. I will tell you that it went so darn well, that I was more then impressed, I was literally astonished! But, after that experience, I do believe that I could have handled level 4, so next time I am going to try my WTG passes on level 4, and get back to you on that.

But level 3 managed to take off more hair then the Feather AS-D2 was ever capable of on a WTG pass. I think level 4 would have done it a bit faster, but level 3 did the job for sure. When it came time to do my ATG pass, I began with the neck first, and used setting level 1. I did such a perfect job on level 1, that I had no knicks, no weepers, not even capillary bleeding from too much skin removal, and no razor burn!

I began doing the ATG passes on the sides of my face and cheeks, but discovered that level 1 was far too low, and the razor was acting like my Feather, in other words, pathetically. So I razed it to level 2, and that was the perfect solution to the issue, it went through my hair like butter, and like the tank it is, it got it on, and got it done, no muss, no fuss. Exactly what I was looking for in a razor.

Now, I chickened out for the chin and moostash area, and put her back to level 1. I did fine on the chin, but it took several passes, cause I put it on 1. I think maybe I could have handled level 2, but I was being a wuss. And then, because I was on level 1, when I did the moostash area, just like the Feather, I went over it a few too many times to get all the hair. I wouldn't say that I cut myself nor a weeper, just a little capillary action from a bit of skin removal, not a big deal.

If you go over the same spot too many times, that can happen, and I am trying to get away from that. So, next time, I will begin WTG passes on level 4, then on ATG passes, I will do the neck on level 1 cause that worked out perfect for me, do level 2 on the face cheeks, and try level 2 on the chin and moostash spots as well. But how did the razor handle you might be asking? Smooth!

And, I discovered something that I might have an answer for, for other's. On this forum, some people complain about the razor creating a suction on their face, I always thought that was weird, never discovered that with my Feather. The suction that some of you are talking about, is actually the feeling of resistance. Once you make a few passes, the razor scoops away the lather.

Once the hair starts getting removed, your left with your smooth skin. Without lather or hair on your face, the safety bar is going to rub against your skin, thereby dragging. If you need to go back over that same spot for a pass or two, I recommend either A, putting more lather on your face, or B, stick razor in water, and bring it up to your face, it will make the razor just slick enough to make the pass no problem.

I was totally amazed at how quickly the Rex Ambassador, made short work of the follicle weight reduction. Applying the techniques I learned with my Feather, I just let the weight of the Ambassador, carry the blade through the cut, making sure to maintain proper angle in the process. Oh ya, thats another thing, you don't need such a steep angle for the Ambassador.

The Feather requires 50 degrees, where as the Ambassador is more normal, like 35 degrees I'd say. Its super easy to set the aggression level settings with the upper knob, and the lower knob makes changing blades a breeze. The super textured grip on the handle as I call it, gave me no issues of handle grip whatsoever, I had total control of the razor the whole time.

In my opinion, the Rex Ambassador has earned its way on the razor stand thrown. I can't tell you how happy I am that I got this razor. And you know how Dwight Schrute is the manager to the regional manager? Well, I feel like I am the Rex Ambassador to the regional ambassador of ambassadors. HAHA! So now you may want to know if I recommend this razor? Oh heck yes I recommend it 100%!

Can a beginner use this razor? If a beginner only used setting level 1, then the answer is yes. Having said that however, a beginner must also learn control and technique. Because the Rex Ambassador weighs a lot, if you forget to NOT apply pressure, its gonna get ya. If you don't learn technique, oh yeah, its gonna get ya. But I'd like to think most safety razors are that way, none are really foolproof you know.

I would recommend the Rex Ambassador to pretty much everybody, but mostly intermediate and experienced users. I hope with all these details, I have answered all of your folks questions you might have. I want to thank you all for taking time out of your day, to read my post. I am a bit of a writer, I admit it, but I am just so passionate about my new shaving hobby, I can't help it.

I rate todays shave a solid 9 out of 10!

Holly TLDR Batman/Undertaker! :001_tt2:
Alright let's see if I can get through this...

It sounds like the headache caused your brain to start working and you used setting 3 to start, smart. I am impressed that you are already changing the setting in the shave, that's getting your adjustable money's worth! It sounds like 4 and 2 are your numbers and 1 is a bail out if things go wrong. I do wish you would use the Astras to experiment, but please don't go above 4 after you have tried that, with the Feathers anyway. That is where I originally told you to try, isn't it. :biggrin:

The mention of using 50 degrees with your Feather, which I believe, tells me how you are getting nicked with it. I am glad the Ambassador is more intuitive for you. If I use my Tech at 50 by accident, I get bit too! :hand:

Well congratulations, you have used up your word allotment of the day. Check back tomorrow to... Oh sorry, I mean congratulations on getting the right razor for you. I hope it brings you much enjoyment and little blood! 😆

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

For any of you out there who own a Rex Ambassador, and your having issues deciphering the serial on the back of your razor, Rex Supply CO uses the old Gillette serial identification system. Please refer to the table below...

So for example, my Rex Ambassador would fall on the 3rd quarter of 2021, which makes it a fairly current model razor.

Rex Serial Numbers.jpg

I do find it curious that Rex hasn't released the new 2022 models. Do any of you know what time period Rex releases the new 1rst quarter of the year razors? Anyways, I thought I would post this, in hopes that it would help other's identify their razors.

Awesome report and thank you for sharing!
It made for a great read and I'm happy you managed to get a great first shave from your new toy.
Hoping for many fun and successful followup shaves for you with the Rex!

I am here to put in my report on my experience, with the Rex Ambassador razor.
Finally!!! I was about to order the Ambassador (against Iridian's advice - even though I consider him and APBinNCA my personal razor advisors) but then I read you had one incoming.. so I decided to wait. Coming from the Feather I was very curious as to what your experience would be in regards to smoothness and Blade feel.

Me and my personal consultants are worried the Ambassador would be too rough for my handsome cheeks.
And thus I already sent out a bunch of email to local stores asking them to wake up and order the Konsul already. ( I haven't heard back from any of them.)

Reading your first thoughts has me in doubt yet again. Perhaps the Ambassador would be perfect for me. It would certainly be more interesting for my bank balance.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Finally!!! I was about to order the Ambassador (against Iridian's advice - even though I consider him and APBinNCA my personal razor advisors) but then I read you had one incoming.. so I decided to wait. Coming from the Feather I was very curious as to what your experience would be in regards to smoothness and Blade feel.

Me and my personal consultants are worried the Ambassador would be too rough for my handsome cheeks.
And thus I already sent out a bunch of email to local stores asking them to wake up and order the Konsul already. ( I haven't heard back from any of them.)

Reading your first thoughts has me in doubt yet again. Perhaps the Ambassador would be perfect for me. It would certainly be more interesting for my bank balance.

Bank balance? Nobody needs a bank balance! HAHA :001_tongu

Blade feel? Oh man, I don't think you would have to worry about blade feel, unless you took it up to 4 or more. I myself had such an easy time with 3 in my WTG passes, I think I might be able to handle 4, but we will see. If you run the blade at no higher then 3 for your WTG passes, I don't think your going to have any complaints. But DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT run the blade on 3 with your ATG passes, bad idea! Don't go any higher then 2 on your ATG passes.

Also, if your a person who does the usual 3 pass routine, then I also recommend not going any higher then 2 for your XTG passes. The Ambassador has the capacity of doing high levels of aggression, but that doesn't mean you have to take it up that high. Having an adjustable is more about dialing in the levels that you need, to get the job done safely, and smoothly.

Yes, I agree with you, the Rex Ambassador does cost a lot of money, but what you are paying for is superb American made construction out of brushed 316 stainless steel, 10-piece adjustable design, that costs money. Also, having that serial identification, as well as a lifetime long warranty, also provides me confidence in my purchase. I don't think you can go wrong with this razor. I think if you get this razor, you might even fall in love with it too.

Do you have experience with heavy razors? I ask this because, the Rex Ambassador is a heavy razor, just remember to keep a good grip on it, which is not hard to do because of the super grip handle, and let the weight of the razor do the work, remember to NOT apply any pressure. As long as you got a fresh blade, you shouldn't have any issues.

Ohhhh, and....Trying to get a retail company to add a product to the product line, is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Normally retail companies don't listen to consumers, I never once got my local hardware store to stock a maintenance consumable item for pressure washers, they simply didn't care, they were only interested in selling what was in their local in home store catalog.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

For the record, todays shave was a WTG & ATG, and I used the following products.

(1) Proraso GREEN shave soap

(2) Prorasso GREEN Pre-Shave

(3) Alum Stick

(4) PAA Cold Spice Star Jelly Aftershave

proxy.php

I have a new and interesting report guys on the Rex Ambassador, for my 2nd shave with it. So, I decided to wait one more day, because I wanted to be shaved on a Monday, its the business week, you guys get it. So, this was 3-day stubble that I was shaving off, first time doing that wit any DE razor. I lathered up real good, and then I began doing my WTG passes with the level 4 setting for the first time. This also marks the 2nd shave on the same Feather blade.

I can report that you can most certainly, detect blade feel on level 4, but its not that bad. I was able to mow through my 3-day stubble in a couple of passes no problem. This thing is a beast! I managed to do my whole face WTG without any knicks, cuts, weepers, or capillary action of the unwanted. I re-lathered up, and I began my ATG passes on my neck at level 1, like I did previously. After I finished, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the results, they were OK, but they could be better.

So I relathered the neck, and I went back over it with setting level 2, now that went perfect, got my neck how I wanted it. I began doing the ATG passes on my face, also at setting level 2. After I went over a few spots, I was mostly good, I relathered to do a little more, finished up the BBS and DFS shave. Oh yeah, I also did a little touch up under my nose. I razed the setting level to 3, and just slightly cut the upper hair of the moostash area, right under the nose, got em!

I thought for sure I was going to knick my moostash area again using setting level 2 ATG, but to my surprise I did not! I ran my alum stick over my face, and there were a few miner stings in places where I did perhaps a little too much, but it wasn't a big deal. Remember, if you don't make yourself bleed, your doing good, and you should be proud of yourself! By the time I was done, I realized that I reached another milestone achievement, a score upgrade.

9.5 out of 10!

Top Bottom