What's new

I Bought Another Razor - Rex Ambassador Adjustable DE Razor

Rex Ambassador Adjustable Razor
View attachment 1430279View attachment 1430280

(1) I told you guys that I wouldn't buy another razor....... I lied lol

(2) I told you guys that I would never buy an adjustable razor....... I lied

(3) I promised myself that I wouldn't inflate my credit debt again....... I lied to myself

We all know that adjustable razors cost more then standard razors. Me being a mechanic however, can always appreciate the engineering involved in creating such fascinating mechanisms, that are found in adjustable razors. So, why did I buy this particular razor? Well, as you all know, I have a Feather AS-D2, which is a mild razor, its a high quality tank of a daily shaver razor. But on 2-day stubble, it takes many passes in the same spot, to get the hair reduction I require.

I've watched many video's on Youtube, where people start off on a high setting to remove the bulk, then lower it down to do the finishing/buffing passes for a solid DFS to BBS shave. So I knew I was going to go adjustable at this point. The story of how I chose my Feather however, is the same story how I chose this razor though. I started looking at the cheaper adjustables, the chrome plated ones, suffice to say I wasn't very impressed of the quality.

I've also read reviews, on the cheaper stuff, and of course, discovered they had a short lifespan. IDK, maybe they didn't take good care of them? I am willing to entertain that thought, but at the same time, not willing to take a chance. I want the same quality as my Feather, I want a tank of a razor, solid steel construction, substantial, and quality craftsmanship, with quality mechanics. And trust me, me being a mechanic, I've seen my share of garbage vs quality, so I do know a thing or two just in general.

I checked the usual sites that most people shop, West Coast Shaving, ShaveNation, Maggards, all out of stock, or overpriced. Amazon didn't even have it either. Not sure whats going on with supply, maybe the ongoing shortages? Well, anyways, I was able to secure it from New England Shaving. I recommend signing up to sites to get that discount code they present you. On a purchase as big as this, it really helps, look at that discount reduction. And it allowed me to justify paying for the expedited shipping.

So what do you guys think? You like your Rex Ambassadors?

PS: After making this sizable purchase, I have to be honest with myself, and now promise not to buy anymore razors. Since the warm season is starting, I will start making some money working on machines but look, lets not overdo it lol. Ohhhh, we all go through this don't we?
I just purchased a Rex Ambassador Adjustable. And an Edwin Jagger 3one6. And a rockwl adjustable over the ast two weeks.

So far I just tried the 3one6. Damn good shaver for tying it once using an astra blade. I will use the others soon to see what that experience is like.

It might be time for a razor showdown between the merkur futur and the other razors.

I had a feather as-d2 razor a few years back. A capable razor but I sold it. From what I recall it was a good shave, but it did not out perform my Merkur Future adjustable which is why I sold it.

WOW, wartime punishments are so severe. 😲

Its like I said, we thought that one razor was you know, the one, like Neo in the Matrix. But then we discover the razor wasn't as good as we thought it was going to be. Soooooo..........

Were off to New England Shaving, to buy a new razor. The amazing razor, the wonderful razor, is nothing other then the Rex Ambassador! It is because, because, because, because, it won't leave any unwanted fuzz.

That was sort of a parody of Were Off To See The Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz. 🤪
It's important to enforce discipline when warranted.

:)

The take-away is thatStar_WahlClipperTrekker lied.

As a consequence, he should be banished from the B&B site and all his shaving privileges should be banned for life.

Seems to be a fair punishment.

🙃
Nope, he deserves worse. Send him here:

Big Nurse will be happy to have another, me thinks :a16:

Nope, he deserves worse. Send him here:

Big Nurse will be happy to have another, me thinks :a16:
Sometimes life is cruel. Star wahl clipper trekker...

Prepare to meet your destiny.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I just purchased a Rex Ambassador Adjustable. And an Edwin Jagger 3one6. And a rockwl adjustable over the ast two weeks.

So far I just tried the 3one6. Damn good shaver for tying it once using an astra blade. I will use the others soon to see what that experience is like.

It might be time for a razor showdown between the merkur futur and the other razors.

I had a feather as-d2 razor a few years back. A capable razor but I sold it. From what I recall it was a good shave, but it did not out perform my Merkur Future adjustable which is why I sold it.

I looked at the Merker Futor, I liked the look of the handle, but I wasn't sold on its ability to last. I did not bother looking at Edwin Jagger adjustables. I then did look at the Rockwells, now I did like them. It looked like a quality razor to me. But I wanted more durability still.

I did some research into the Rex Ambassador, and it was at the top end of consideration. What finally made me pull the trigger you might ask? I watched that 20-minute video from the CEO Matt of Rex, and he really made me feel good about buying, especially knowing that he had fixed the problems with the original Rex Ambassador.

Pretty hard to beat a lifetime warranty, which also provides confidence in a purchase, when you know a company will stand by its product like that. Plus, made in America, support local businesses and all that.

You need to provide all your scientifical data on all those razors you bought, I want details. So once you've had a chance to try them all out, I am very interested in what you have to say about all of them. Don't forget pictures, we always do pictures here.

I am guessing the Rex Ambassador is going to win over the other ones, but we will see. I must say congrats though, that took some good amount of cash to buy all those three!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
WOW, wartime punishments are so severe. 😲

Its like I said, we thought that one razor was you know, the one, like Neo in the Matrix. But then we discover the razor wasn't as good as we thought it was going to be. Soooooo..........

Were off to New England Shaving, to buy a new razor. The amazing razor, the wonderful razor, is nothing other then the Rex Ambassador! It is because, because, because, because, it won't leave any unwanted fuzz.

That was sort of a parody of Were Off To See The Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz. 🤪

A lot of gentlemen - not me, mind you - rent razors.

You could do that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I looked at the Merker Futor, I liked the look of the handle, but I wasn't sold on its ability to last. I did not bother looking at Edwin Jagger adjustables. I then did look at the Rockwells, now I did like them. It looked like a quality razor to me. But I wanted more durability still
I've had the Merkur Futur for 10 years. Never had any issues with durability. It still looks great with no scratches or dings on it. Although it could use some cleaning on the underside.

I looked at the Merker Futor, I liked the look of the handle, but I wasn't sold on its ability to last. I did not bother looking at Edwin Jagger adjustables. I then did look at the Rockwells, now I did like them. It looked like a quality razor to me. But I wanted more durability still.

I did some research into the Rex Ambassador, and it was at the top end of consideration. What finally made me pull the trigger you might ask? I watched that 20-minute video from the CEO Matt of Rex, and he really made me feel good about buying, especially knowing that he had fixed the problems with the original Rex Ambassador.

Pretty hard to beat a lifetime warranty.
I think I seen that video too. There were quality issues on the first run? Crap. I did not know that. I purchased mine from forum member here, so I have no knowledge if this is one of those razors that have a quality issue.

However, mine has the stubby handles. I may ask the company at rex to change it to the large handle.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

A lot of gentlemen - not me, mind you - rent razors.

You could do that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yep, I've seen a few YouTube videos where the guy testing out the razor, made it quite obvious, that someone sent it to them for review. I don't do trades or borrows. But nice idea though, as long as hygiene was properly observed with them. We live in rough times.

Who are we kidding here?
Everyone know that by this time tomorrow SWCT will be posting about his next razor acquizition.

Just you watch....

I can understand why you might think that after the last time. But I assure you I can't. I get 6-months no interest if paid in full in 6-months. If I added another 500 to the 222 already on my credit, it take me over 6-months to pay it off. Then interest would rip me apart at 28% APR.

So let me reiterate, NO! Lol

You need to provide all your scientifical data on all those razors you bought, I want details. So once you've had a chance to try them all out, I am very interested in what you have to say about all of them. Don't forget pictures, we always do pictures here.

I am guessing the Rex Ambassador is going to win over the other ones, but we will see. I must say congrats though, that took some good amount of cash to buy all those three!
Reviews with Scientific Data... Huh?

Well my scientific technical forensic analysis will go something like this....

It was great. Go out and get it!!!
Break your piggybank or forget the mortgage payment.
Sell your kids if you need to.
Whatever it takes... Get this razor!!!

It was alright. You might do better elsewhere.

It sucked. Don't bother with this. Save your money and purchase a Merkur Futur.

I think that is a pretty detailed analysis that everyone can follow with great ease.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I think I seen that video too. There were quality issues on the first run? Crap. I did not know that. I purchased mine from forum member here, so I have no knowledge if this is one of those razors that have a quality issue.

However, mine has the stubby handles. I may ask the company at rex to change it to the large handle.

OK, the REX Ambassador razors use the old standard Gillette serial identification code system. If you are not able to get the legend table online to help you decipher the code, then go rewatch the 20 minute video from Shaver Emporium, staring Matt CEO of Rex. In that video he teaches how to read the serial codes.

Yep, I've seen a few YouTube videos where the guy testing out the razor, made it quite obvious, that someone sent it to them for review. I don't do trades or borrows. But nice idea though, as long as hygiene was properly observed with them. We live in rough times.
That is a reference to a razor's 30 day trial period...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Star Treker, when does your Rex Ambassador arrive?

Hello Phoenix!

My Rex Ambassador is supposed to arrive on the 1rst of April. I just did hopefully my last shave with my Feather, and since it was a 3rd shave on that blade, it went as well as expected for a dulling blade, gave myself a few knicks, and despite going over the same spots a million times, still couldn't manage to get all the hair removed for a BBS. Mild shaver combined with dull blade, equals garbage performance. I even got hairs on the corners of my lower lip that didn't achieve BBS. Still, mostly DFS and BBS though.

Its just another reason why I am really looking forward to my Ambassador. I need something that is going to do what I need it to do. Now, for right now, I only have Feather blades that I can put in it. When I buy my shaving supplies next month, I'd like to order some of those world renown Bic platinum, whatever their called blades, many people recommend them as being excellent. If I can achieve more then 3 shaves out of a blade, that would be nice.

As it is right now, after achieving that 3rd shave with the Feather blade in my Feather AS-D2 today, that blade is done! If I were to try and go for a 4th shave, it would turn my face into Picasso's rendition of Frankenstein's monster.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hello Phoenix!

My Rex Ambassador is supposed to arrive on the 1rst of April. I just did hopefully my last shave with my Feather, and since it was a 3rd shave on that blade, it went as well as expected for a dulling blade, gave myself a few knicks, and despite going over the same spots a million times, still couldn't manage to get all the hair removed for a BBS. Mild shaver combined with dull blade, equals garbage performance. I even got hairs on the corners of my lower lip that didn't achieve BBS. Still, mostly DFS and BBS though.

Its just another reason why I am really looking forward to my Ambassador. I need something that is going to do what I need it to do. Now, for right now, I only have Feather blades that I can put in it. When I buy my shaving supplies next month, I'd like to order some of those world renown Bic platinum, whatever their called blades, many people recommend them as being excellent. If I can achieve more then 3 shaves out of a blade, that would be nice.

As it is right now, after achieving that 3rd shave with the Feather blade in my Feather AS-D2 today, that blade is done! If I were to try and go for a 4th shave, it would turn my face into Picasso's rendition of Frankenstein's monster.
DE razor blades are pretty cheap. I wouldn't try to push them too far. From what you've said, you have a pretty tough beard. I don't know what the average is... but from reading the posts here, I'm guessing very few people with tough beards get more than two shaves. Now, I realize, this is a guess. I don't really have any idea. I know, my Artist Club blades are supposed to give me 10 to 12 decent shaves but my old man, tough, brutal whiskers seem to kill them after 6 shaves. As time goes on, I might try to up that, but compared to what I've spent on gear, soaps, etc... the cost of a $1 blade isn't going to kill me.

Now.... I hope April 1st is much more than April Fool's Day for you. I hope you get your Rex Ambassador and it's everything you hope it's going to be.

Top Bottom