I Bought Another Razor - Rex Ambassador Adjustable DE Razor

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Rex Ambassador Adjustable Razor
REX AMBASSADOR.jpg
Screenshot from 2022-03-27 21-06-06.jpg

(1) I told you guys that I wouldn't buy another razor....... I lied lol

(2) I told you guys that I would never buy an adjustable razor....... I lied

(3) I promised myself that I wouldn't inflate my credit debt again....... I lied to myself

We all know that adjustable razors cost more then standard razors. Me being a mechanic however, can always appreciate the engineering involved in creating such fascinating mechanisms, that are found in adjustable razors. So, why did I buy this particular razor? Well, as you all know, I have a Feather AS-D2, which is a mild razor, its a high quality tank of a daily shaver razor. But on 2-day stubble, it takes many passes in the same spot, to get the hair reduction I require.

I've watched many video's on Youtube, where people start off on a high setting to remove the bulk, then lower it down to do the finishing/buffing passes for a solid DFS to BBS shave. So I knew I was going to go adjustable at this point. The story of how I chose my Feather however, is the same story how I chose this razor though. I started looking at the cheaper adjustables, the chrome plated ones, suffice to say I wasn't very impressed of the quality.

I've also read reviews, on the cheaper stuff, and of course, discovered they had a short lifespan. IDK, maybe they didn't take good care of them? I am willing to entertain that thought, but at the same time, not willing to take a chance. I want the same quality as my Feather, I want a tank of a razor, solid steel construction, substantial, and quality craftsmanship, with quality mechanics. And trust me, me being a mechanic, I've seen my share of garbage vs quality, so I do know a thing or two just in general.

I checked the usual sites that most people shop, West Coast Shaving, ShaveNation, Maggards, all out of stock, or overpriced. Amazon didn't even have it either. Not sure whats going on with supply, maybe the ongoing shortages? Well, anyways, I was able to secure it from New England Shaving. I recommend signing up to sites to get that discount code they present you. On a purchase as big as this, it really helps, look at that discount reduction. And it allowed me to justify paying for the expedited shipping.

So what do you guys think? You like your Rex Ambassadors?

PS: After making this sizable purchase, I have to be honest with myself, and now promise not to buy anymore razors. Since the warm season is starting, I will start making some money working on machines but look, lets not overdo it lol. Ohhhh, we all go through this don't we?

View attachment 1430279View attachment 1430280

(3) I promised myself that I wouldn't inflate my credit debt again....... I lied to myself

We all know that adjustable razors cost more then standard razors. Me being a mechanic however, can always appreciate the engineering involved in creating such fascinating mechanisms, that are found in adjustable razors. So, why did I buy this particular razor? Well, as you all know, I have a Feather AS-D2, which is a mild razor, its a high quality tank of a daily shaver razor. But on 2-day stubble, it takes many passes in the same spot, to get the hair reduction I require.

I've watched many video's on Youtube, where people start off on a high setting to remove the bulk, then lower it down to do the finishing/buffing passes for a solid DFS to BBS shave. So I knew I was going to go adjustable at this point. The story of how I chose my Feather however, is the same story how I chose this razor though. I started looking at the cheaper adjustables, the chrome plated ones, suffice to say I wasn't very impressed of the quality.

I've also read reviews, on the cheaper stuff, and of course, discovered they had a short lifespan. IDK, maybe they didn't take good care of them? I am willing to entertain that thought, but at the same time, not willing to take a chance. I want the same quality as my Feather, I want a tank of a razor, solid steel construction, substantial, and quality craftsmanship, with quality mechanics. And trust me, me being a mechanic, I've seen my share of garbage vs quality, so I do know a thing or two just in general.

I checked the usual sites that most people shop, West Coast Shaving, ShaveNation, Maggards, all out of stock, or overpriced. Amazon didn't even have it either. Not sure whats going on with supply, maybe the ongoing shortages? Well, anyways, I was able to secure it from New England Shaving. I recommend signing up to sites to get that discount code they present you. On a purchase as big as this, it really helps, look at that discount reduction. And it allowed me to justify paying for the expedited shipping.

So what do you guys think? You like your Rex Ambassadors?

PS: After making this sizable purchase, I have to be honest with myself, and now promise not to buy anymore razors. Since the warm season is starting, I will start making some money working on machines but look, lets not overdo it lol. Ohhhh, we all go through this don't we?
The Rex Ambassador is a “whiskers removing machine” that you will enjoy for years to come!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The Rex Ambassador is a “whiskers removing machine” that you will enjoy for years to come!

Thank you so much Butch Waxx. A whiskers removing machine, I like the way you put that, because its exactly what I want. I also watched a video from the CEO of the company who invented the Rex Ambassador, a 20-minute video I am sure most have seen.

I really liked the way he went into detail on the battles he faced to invent the razor, what he had to do, to make it better, its that honesty that I appreciated. I also appreciate the fact that the razor is made in the USA, and thats a big reason why the razor costs so much, well that, and the fact its a 10-piece razor lol.

Another thing that I like, is the fact that each razor has a serial identification that is on the backplate of every single razor that they make. Thats already an improvement over the Feather, who just stamps the number on the instruction booklet. Plus, a lifetime warranty! When was the last time you bought something that had a lifetime warranty?

Do you own a Rex Ambassador Butch Wax? If so, thats awesome. If not, hopefully your planning to get one eventually. Your an awesome member on here, I always enjoy reading your posts. :)

Thank you so much Butch Waxx. A whiskers removing machine, I like the way you put that, because its exactly what I want. I also watched a video from the CEO of the company who invented the Rex Ambassador, a 20-minute video I am sure most have seen.

I really liked the way he went into detail on the battles he faced to invent the razor, what he had to do, to make it better, its that honesty that I appreciated. I also appreciate the fact that the razor is made in the USA, and thats a big reason why the razor costs so much, well that, and the fact its a 10-piece razor lol.

Another thing that I like, is the fact that each razor has a serial identification that is on the backplate of every single razor that they make. Thats already an improvement over the Feather, who just stamps the number on the instruction booklet. Plus, a lifetime warranty! When was the last time you bought something that had a lifetime warranty?

Do you own a Rex Ambassador Butch Wax? If so, thats awesome. If not, hopefully your planning to get one eventually. Your an awesome member on here, I always enjoy reading your posts. :)
Thank you very much SWCT! And yes, I am a proud owner of the razor. I originally ordered and received the XL handle, but ended up sending back and receiving the standard handle which frankly is a better fit for me even though I have larger hands. Just feels better in hand. Matt and his team are wonderful to work with.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Thank you very much SWCT! And yes, I am a proud owner of the razor. I originally ordered and received the XL handle, but ended up sending back and receiving the standard handle which frankly is a better fit for me even though I have larger hands. Just feels better in hand. Matt and his team are wonderful to work with.

Oh my gosh, thats so awesome! 😁 Happy to hear that you are a proud owner. The handle length was the last battle I was facing when making an order. I had to decide, is it worth paying for the longer handle? Paying a average price of 350 dollars, or 400+ dollars for the XL gold one, didn't sit right with me.

After just now reading from your review that the XL handle felt awkward in the hand, despite your large hand size, that confirmed I also made the right decision buying the standard. I am sure the weight is balanced better on the standard as well. Good deal! Matt is awesome. 😎

Nice job with the discount there, I thought you got the envoy as I am reading. Couldn't get it through my head when you said adjustable. Setting 1 or 2 are probably going to blow your socks off so don't start with 4 or 5! Enjoy. :biggrin:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Nice job with the discount there, I thought you got the envoy as I am reading. Couldn't get it through my head when you said adjustable. Setting 1 or 2 are probably going to blow your socks off so don't start with 4 or 5! Enjoy. :biggrin:

Thats why I didn't say Rex Envoy in the title of my thread, I made sure to say Rex Ambassador. From what I can tell watching video's, setting's 1 or 2 are fairly mild. I was planning to start with setting 6 for the WTG pass. But maybe I should start with 4 instead?

Yep, thats exactly what I want, a razor that literally blows my socks off by just looking at it. Talk about love at first sight! ;) I am sure the Envoy is also a quality razor, but I wanted the best, so I skipped over the 150 Envoy, and went straight for 250 Ambassador.

But like I said in my first post there, some sites were price scalping it for 300 dollars. But I am smart, I do my research, I look at other sites, I watch video's from the CEO, I know what the razor is supposed to cost. I aint paying no 300 dollars for a 250 dollar razor.

I am truly in awww of its superb construction. I have a feeling that I am going to love it more then the Feather.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't have the Rex Ambassador, @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker, but I have the Rex Konsul and a fair selection of other adjustables.

2-25-22.70:30.CK-6.Konsul.640.JPG

The Konsul is built like a tank, too. Personally I like its industrial, functional look. It is not jewelry, but a machine.

Whether you'll like the Ambassador or not is beyond me. Some do. Some don't.

8-29-21.Pearl-Flexi-#1.CH3-Manch.Vitos.640.JPG

There are many ways to use an adjustable. Find your own way(s).

I mostly tend to start on a fairly low setting for the first pass or so, and do my entire face and neck going perhaps N-S. Then, for the next pass, which might be S-N on my neck, and my chin, and N-S in a few areas, I'll use a significantly higher setting. Finally, for the last of my work - ATG/S-N on my upper lip, and soul patch buffing, and final clean up - I'll use the lowest possible setting.

That's not me saying other ways of using the adjustables are wrong.

Figure out what works for you. There are no right and wrong approaches as long as they work for you.

2-11-21.ShavemacBlue.Executive#5.Vitos.640.JPG

If you get the adjustable bug and want another all metal, well made adjustable, perhaps one that's less aggressive on lower settings than the Ambassador, you might consider the Pearl Flexi or a decent Fatboy or Gillette gold Executive adjustable.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I don't have the Rex Ambassador, @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker, but I have the Rex Konsul and a fair selection of other adjustables.

View attachment 1430405

The Konsul is built like a tank, too. Personally I like its industrial, functional look. It is not jewelry, but a machine.

Whether you'll like the Ambassador or not is beyond me. Some do. Some don't.

View attachment 1430407

There are many ways to use an adjustable. Find your own way(s).

I mostly tend to start on a fairly low setting for the first pass or so, and do my entire face and neck going perhaps N-S. Then, for the next pass, which might be S-N on my neck, and my chin, and N-S in a few areas, I'll use a significantly higher setting. Finally, for the last of my work - ATG/S-N on my upper lip, and soul patch buffing, and final clean up - I'll use the lowest possible setting.

That's not me saying other ways of using the adjustables are wrong.

Figure out what works for you. There are no right and wrong approaches as long as they work for you.

View attachment 1430408

If you get the adjustable bug and want another all metal, well made adjustable, perhaps one that's less aggressive on lower settings than the Ambassador, you might consider the Pearl Flexi or a decent Fatboy or Gillette gold Executive adjustable.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Such beautiful razors you shared with me here. One of the reasons why I chose the ambassador was because I have a course beard. And I heard lots about how the Ambassador is made for those with course hair.

I've also starting to be getting the idea that people are recommending lower then you'd think settings with the Ambassador. Where I learned the idea of higher number for WTG, then lower number for ATG, was from GeoFatBoy, thats how he does it.

And if you think about it, it actually makes sense. More aggressive to get at the bulk removal, then lower settings to handle the finishing and buffing passes, so your hopefully not knicking yourself. I couldn't imagine why people wouldn't like such a top of the line razor honestly.

I read reviews where people were giving 5-stars across the board for the ambassador. And Matt the CEO himself, talked about in his video, where people were vocalizing the same thing. But as you said, I will just have to find out for sure once I get it in the mail.

BTW, todays shave with my Feather, reached an all time highest score of a 9 out of 10. I even surprised myself how good I managed to do. Thank you for sharing your pictures, I love looking at your pretty razors. HEHE

Now in regards to razors, I am not a fan of the butterfly design, I don't even have to try it to know I won't like it, I've seen it enough in video's. I stick to the 3 piece design cause thats what I prefer. I don't have anymore plans to purchase more razors.

I've already put myself in debt to get this razor, and the whole point of spending so much money on a razor, is to get the be all end all razor, so I don't have to keep buying more. I know what your going to say, isn't that what the Feather was for?

Well, the Feather ended up being more mild then I was expecting. If you have a fine soft hair, the Feather will be perfection. But I have a course hair, and the Feather just takes all day to get it done. I still love my Feather don't get me wrong, but come on, there's got to be better out there.

I'm watching a guy mow his head with the Rex Ambassador right now, I'm amazed at guys who do that. I don't have the perfect head, if I tried to do that, I'd cut myself all over the place, it be bad lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't have anymore plans to purchase more razors.

Actually I don't either, but there aren't very many I've not already purchased.

Way back, when I bought my Feather AS-D2 I believed it would be the only razor I ended up buying. My thinking was much like yours.

2-23-22.SemogueLE3Band.CK-6.Sailor.640.JPG

The hunt for the PUHG razor can be long and expensive.

(Pegasus Unicorn Holy Grail.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have one gift razor and one I purchased. I think I'll be able to stay at 2 (the Lupo DE Aluminum now with a SS handle and my ESC Claymore Evolution), but only time will tell.... the Claymore is "adjustable" if you change blade types. ;)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I have one gift razor and one I purchased. I think I'll be able to stay at 2 (the Lupo DE Aluminum now with a SS handle and my ESC Claymore Evolution), but only time will tell.... the Claymore is "adjustable" if you change blade types. ;)

My way of thinking on it is, as long as you have one high end non-adjustable razor, and one high end adjustable razor, we probably won't need anything more after that. I know there are tons of razors available to buy, or to collect for some.

But I am not so much about collecting razors, I am more about having the razors to do what I need them to do, provide hair follicle reduction. I think that you and I are both beginners at an excellent time for DE shaving. Why do I say that? Cause look at all the options available to us!

There was a time when there was only 1 razor or 2 on the market, now there tons!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My way of thinking on it is, as long as you have one high end non-adjustable razor, and one high end adjustable razor, we probably won't need anything more after that. I know there are tons of razors available to buy, or to collect for some.

But I am not so much about collecting razors, I am more about having the razors to do what I need them to do, provide hair follicle reduction. I think that you and I are both beginners at an excellent time for DE shaving. Why do I say that? Cause look at all the options available to us!

There was a time when there was only 1 razor or 2 on the market, now there tons!
I couldn't agree more. My Claymore Evo wasn't even released until last fall... and your Rex is pretty new too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Rex Ambassador is a well built adjustable razor and it will last generations no doubt with some care.
As for Feather AS-D2 I would use a extra wide Kai SS DE blade and that will make a difference IMO.
Both razors are the cream of the crop for some folks but to me grail razors are what you believe they are and will change sometimes because of hype or curiosity of a person.
After 4+ years of using so many different razors you almost automatically adjust to the blade feel is the best way to explain my experiences with different razors. Some are just better designed also for blade clamping & glide finishes of the end product.
Enjoy!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Rex Ambassador is a well built adjustable razor and it will last generations no doubt with some care.
As for Feather AS-D2 I would use a extra wide Kai SS DE blade and that will make a difference IMO.
Both razors are the cream of the crop for some folks but to me grail razors are what you believe they are and will change sometimes because of hype or curiosity of a person.
After 4+ years of using so many different razors you almost automatically adjust to the blade feel is the best way to explain my experiences with different razors. Some are just better designed also for blade clamping & glide finishes of the end product.
Enjoy!

Oh my gosh, I think you are the first person to recommend to me, a better blade to be used with my Feather AS-D2 razor. I've been using Feather blades cause well, A their sharp and B, its a Feather razor, why not? lol - I didn't know there was a better option that would make a difference.

So thanks so much for that information. I am also equally happy to hear another report in favor of the Rex Ambassador. I try to buy quality razors, because I know all too well the pain and suffering I went through using cartridge razors back in the day.

And I also haven't forgotten what happened to my neck the last time I used an electric shaver dry without any shave gel, lets just say I looked like I came back from being tortured. Not a good look if you want to go on a date, just saying.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Oh my gosh, I think you are the first person to recommend to me, a better blade to be used with my Feather AS-D2 razor. I've been using Feather blades cause well, A their sharp and B, its a Feather razor, why not? lol - I didn't know there was a better option that would make a difference.

So thanks so much for that information. I am also equally happy to hear another report in favor of the Rex Ambassador. I try to buy quality razors, because I know all too well the pain and suffering I went through using cartridge razors back in the day.

And I also haven't forgotten what happened to my neck the last time I used an electric shaver dry without any shave gel, lets just say I looked like I came back from being tortured. Not a good look if you want to go on a date, just saying.

Thanks again, much appreciated!
You can use the Kai SS blades in other mild razors also, They are about 9/1000 inches wider overall or 4.5/1000 inches per side than a standard Gillette Astra.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg

I would buy a few tucks at first to see how you enjoy them. They are sharp & smooth with excellent longevity for a pricier blade.

View attachment 1430279View attachment 1430280

The take-away is thatStar_WahlClipperTrekker lied.

As a consequence, he should be banished from the B&B site and all his shaving privileges should be banned for life.

Seems to be a fair punishment.

🙃

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The take-away is thatStar_WahlClipperTrekker lied.

As a consequence, he should be banished from the B&B site and all his shaving privileges should be banned for life.

Seems to be a fair punishment.

🙃

WOW, wartime punishments are so severe. 😲

Its like I said, we thought that one razor was you know, the one, like Neo in the Matrix. But then we discover the razor wasn't as good as we thought it was going to be. Soooooo..........

Were off to New England Shaving, to buy a new razor. The amazing razor, the wonderful razor, is nothing other then the Rex Ambassador! It is because, because, because, because, it won't leave any unwanted fuzz.

That was sort of a parody of Were Off To See The Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz. 🤪

Top Bottom