What's new

I bought an adjustable Schick injector

Awesome!

I don't have a Type M, but I have a type O Clone and vintage twin schick blades work very well in them. I have used one of the new Japanese as well - might be a little sharper than vintage ones, but not entirely sure. I think you'll be pleased though [emoji106].

Josh

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I have an O clone and L clone already. Love the L, the O is not efficient enough for me. I am wondering where the adjustable fits in the gambit.

I have an O clone and L clone already. Love the L, the O is not efficient enough for me. I am wondering where the adjustable fits in the gambit.

It’s Adjustable so it should suit you nicely to change how aggressive it is. I believe a 5-6 on it is comparable to an L. After that you can continue going up if you wish, I keep it on a 7 as my standard. I have pushed it to a 9 for my cheeks since the area is flat but damn that blade gap is huge so watch your lips around it if you go that high.

I keep mine at a 4. I like the L and O clone. I have two Type Ms, one is an M3 protector which is more aggressive than the older versions. The protector stays at a 3 because of that. Both are exceptional razors and I probably enjoy them as much or more than my L and O clone. My Protector is my travel razor because of the blade cover feature for when I'm doing a road trip. You'll be able to find your Goldilocks zone with one, I'm sure of that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't waste a valuable twin blade on a Type M Schick injector adjustable razor, unless a single blade is inadequate on the higher adjustment settings.

Instead, I would save and use the twins on the Types I, J, L, and O if needed..

One pristine cased Type M is on the way. I am going to use Twins, because I can. What should I expect?

My very first razor was a Schick Injector Adjustable, and it came with twin blades. At that time (mid-ish 1970s), twins were the only injector blades you could get locally. I still have that razor, and shaved with it this morning.

With any unfamiliar adjustable, I like to start a 1 and work my way up. That's what I did with this one after I came back to it after years of cartridges. Back in the day I left it on 7, and ended back at that setting when I returned to it. Today, I bumped it down to 6 since I was going to be subject to the elements, and wanted to prevent possible irritation.

Unlike the Gillette Slim, the Schick Adjustable has several "clicks" between the numbers. That gives a wider range of settings. It's really pretty neat.

While I shaved on 7 with twins in the day, I also had a problem with hair bumps on my neck that first drove me to shaving soap and brush. That persisted until I used a Gillette Sensor with the Brush Plus system. When the Brush Plus went the way of all Gillette products, I returned to canned foam with no problems, nor have I had problems using the Schick now. Likely the problem was face prep, since brush and shaving soap and the Brush Plus helped. Still, since you're going to be using twin blades, it's something to think about.

Snokin mentioned the blade gap and it is huge on 7. Since I now have a mustache, that doesn't present a problem, but it does give you pause. That said, I've found it smooth with Chick blades even on 7.

If your adjustable has the Protector, remember to pull it down when shaving. The Protector is simply a moveable safety bar, with the slide on the handle on the edge side. I think most Schick adjustables didn't have it, so you might now have to deal with it. The idea is to protect the blade. It will, to some extent, though it was up when I had a blade get mysteriously dinged. But if your razor has the Protector and you leave it up. you'll have a "Say what?" moment when you shave, as there's practically no gap at all. OTOH, moving the Protector up and down is so second nature to me now that I tried to do it on my Type L clone (which, of course, doesn't have the Protector).

I wouldn't waste a valuable twin blade on a Type M Schick injector adjustable razor, unless a single blade is inadequate on the higher adjustment settings.

Instead, I would save and use the twins on the Types I, J, L, and O if needed..
I don't understand the logic here. If it's a good shave with the twin, how is it a waste?

My very first razor was a Schick Injector Adjustable, and it came with twin blades. At that time (mid-ish 1970s), twins were the only injector blades you could get locally. I still have that razor, and shaved with it this morning.

With any unfamiliar adjustable, I like to start a 1 and work my way up. That's what I did with this one after I came back to it after years of cartridges. Back in the day I left it on 7, and ended back at that setting when I returned to it. Today, I bumped it down to 6 since I was going to be subject to the elements, and wanted to prevent possible irritation.

Unlike the Gillette Slim, the Schick Adjustable has several "clicks" between the numbers. That gives a wider range of settings. It's really pretty neat.

While I shaved on 7 with twins in the day, I also had a problem with hair bumps on my neck that first drove me to shaving soap and brush. That persisted until I used a Gillette Sensor with the Brush Plus system. When the Brush Plus went the way of all Gillette products, I returned to canned foam with no problems, nor have I had problems using the Schick now. Likely the problem was face prep, since brush and shaving soap and the Brush Plus helped. Still, since you're going to be using twin blades, it's something to think about.

Snokin mentioned the blade gap and it is huge on 7. Since I now have a mustache, that doesn't present a problem, but it does give you pause. That said, I've found it smooth with Chick blades even on 7.

If your adjustable has the Protector, remember to pull it down when shaving. The Protector is simply a moveable safety bar, with the slide on the handle on the edge side. I think most Schick adjustables didn't have it, so you might now have to deal with it. The idea is to protect the blade. It will, to some extent, though it was up when I had a blade get mysteriously dinged. But if your razor has the Protector and you leave it up. you'll have a "Say what?" moment when you shave, as there's practically no gap at all. OTOH, moving the Protector up and down is so second nature to me now that I tried to do it on my Type L clone (which, of course, doesn't have the Protector).

Thank you for the informative post. I guess I will be finding all this out in a few days. I have a goatee so no worries about the lip. I have no idea how any of my razors would work on my upper lip since I have had a goatee for 20 years give or take.

I don't understand the logic here. If it's a good shave with the twin, how is it a waste?
Using a twin blade a waste, if you can get a comparable shave with a regular injector blade on a particular injector razor.

Twin blades are scarce and they are expensive. Save your twin blades for when you need them!

I'm struggling with the economics of injector blades, being in the UK. A lot of sellers of the Chinese Schicks don't ship to the UK. If we reject Personnas as not such a good shave, we are left with Proline B-20 off Rakuten. Nice enough, but you need to pre-load them in an injector because they come without. However, the problem with the otherwise excellent Prolines is the edge corners are rounded. this means on various razors they sit forward on the two end stops, making them more aggressive. One solution is to use an adjustable, and this might be where the M or maybe a PAL adjustable shines.

I haven't tried this - can anyone talk more about a Proline in Adjustables?

I'm struggling with the economics of injector blades, being in the UK. A lot of sellers of the Chinese Schicks don't ship to the UK. If we reject Personnas as not such a good shave, we are left with Proline B-20 off Rakuten. Nice enough, but you need to pre-load them in an injector because they come without. However, the problem with the otherwise excellent Prolines is the edge corners are rounded. this means on various razors they sit forward on the two end stops, making them more aggressive. One solution is to use an adjustable, and this might be where the M or maybe a PAL adjustable shines.

I haven't tried this - can anyone talk more about a Proline in Adjustables?

I've used them in adjustables to great effect.
Probably my closest shave, Injector or otherwise, is with my type M and a Proline B-20.
I've also used B-20's in the Supply V2 using the mild 1 dot head.
To me, Prolines are far superior to Personna's.

My other Injectors , L and O, I use the Schick Twins.

You can also pickup NOS vintage blades on Ebay, they can be a better proposition than Personna's - if the price is right.

Should be here today. I'm going to heed the advice given and going to try a proline first. I have a lot of them and a key to insert them with :) Come to think of it I believe that this one comes with a key as well.

I'm struggling with the economics of injector blades, being in the UK. A lot of sellers of the Chinese Schicks don't ship to the UK. If we reject Personnas as not such a good shave, we are left with Proline B-20 off Rakuten. Nice enough, but you need to pre-load them in an injector because they come without.

I agree. The Personnas and the Ted Pella injectors (which I've seen are likely the same) give me horrible shaves. They just tug like crazy. If I couldn't easily get the Chinese Schicks, I wouldn't bother with injectors.

I used it yesterday with a Proline @ 6 and it was great. I didn't want to start wide open, or with the twins because the logic of not using them unless you needed them sunk in. I only have 9 in the dispenser and they are not cheap comparatively to the other blades. If the prolines work well then why bother with anything else? Anyway BBS all day long.

Top Bottom