What's new

I bought a thing, think it's from the 30s

I was shopping for a boar brush on The Bay and of course I found other things. Added to watch list for later, seller near immediately sends me an offer and I am a sheep. Bah

Unless my eyes are broken, this should be silvertip. Maybe it's a convincing dye job. I know it's ebonite and that has to place it in the 30s or 40s, I am guessing 30s because the hostilities in Europe were already at a boil by 1940. This appears much higher end than US made stuff that I have seen from that time period and appears useable. After the war, I believe this would have been a different material like Bakelite. Oh well if it is just a historic curiosity, I got a good enough price for a decoration.

image.jpeg

That was quick, thanks! I should have it by middle of next week. After determining what kind of hair it actually is, I will see how brittle it is. If it looks OK, I will try soaking it and letting it dry to see what the hairs do. Only after that will I shampoo it and dry again. I guess, look for a report next weekend. :biggrin:

If it looks OK, I will try soaking it and letting it dry to see what the hairs do.
Be carefull please; the glue of the knot can have become britle and if it is boar the hairs will absorb water and swell. It might be enough to destroy the old glue, or in this case the natural rubber ('double vulcanized') in which it is set. So soaking it for too long is not a good idea but nothing wrong with a bit of shampoo.

It says it is vulcanized. Vulcanization is used in rubber making, so maybe it is made from Latex. I hope you don't have a Latex allergy... 😄

It says it is vulcanized. Vulcanization is used in rubber making, so maybe it is made from Latex. I hope you don't have a Latex allergy... 😄
No better way to find out! Ebonite is basically vulcanized natural rubber so yeah latex, but more stable. 😉

Be carefull please; the glue of the knot can have become britle and if it is boar the hairs will absorb water and swell.

Will do, thanks. If it is boar, I probably won't try it due to age. If it is 30s, it's going to have dried glue. The back up plan, if I don't just use it as decoration, is to send it off to be re-knotted.

I also think it looks like dyed boar. Those thick black hairs visible at the top look like what I see in my boars, and not in my badgers.

I also think it looks like dyed boar. Those thick black hairs visible at the top look like what I see in my boars, and not in my badgers.
I guess they must dye them before bunching them into a knot so it looks sufficiently random. The newer dyed boar looks like it's done after the fact before being set. Typical ebay let down, at least now when somebody searches in the future they will have a thread to find.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
It looks to be in great shape. I'm also seeing dyed Boar and a painted wood handle. It will make a great photo addition.

I guess it is going to be a 1970s faux vintage after reading the comments, which isn't necessarily bad. According to wikipedia, ebonite will turn this color with age and it is clearly meant to be this color just looking at the box. So they painted it to look old, I got thrown off by the "double vulcanized." That must just be doubling down on the ruse. If it is 60s or 70s then I will have a, likely, useable brush. So, not bad! Will report back.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I guess it is going to be a 1970s faux vintage after reading the comments, which isn't necessarily bad. According to wikipedia, ebonite will turn this color with age and it is clearly meant to be this color just looking at the box. So they painted it to look old, I got thrown off by the "double vulcanized." That must just be doubling down on the ruse. If it is 60s or 70s then I will have a, likely, useable brush. So, not bad! Will report back.
Looks like a Swiss EBNAT brush sold by JB Williams in Cranford NJ.
JB Williams moved to Cranford in 1957 from Glastonbury CT.
That's a great little piece of shaving history!

Looks like a Swiss EBNAT brush sold by JB Williams in Cranford NJ.
JB Williams moved to Cranford in 1957 from Glastonbury CT.
That's a great little piece of shaving history!
Excellent detective work! I saw the JB Williams, but didn't know about the move. Looking up EBNAT got me nowhere. So it's from about 57-70 something, cool. Can't wait to see what the glue bump looks like.

Gentleman, I will also have details on a vintage Plisson that I acquired at a slightly greater expense coming up in a couple weeks! I am very encouraged by the reception to this brush so the Plisson should really get some attention!

Top Bottom