What's new

I believe I'm hooked!

For storing soaps you can use a small size plastic container such as this--

20200126_165235.jpg

After a while you may want something like this vintage shave bowl with a lid

20200126_165333.jpg

I generally will load my brush in the container and then face lather or take it to my Captain's Choice bowl and create the lather there.

As for the razor, use what you like. (I anticipate you'll want to try a DE soon though.)

@TinyT thanks you can find them on the bay occasionally. I found this one in an antique shop in California. The company is "HIS House for Men" and they make an amazing AS decanter bottle that I covet. I've been unwilling to pay the exorbitant prices on the auction site for it.

1940-s-art-deco-figural-cubist-head-his-house-for-men-aftershave-cologne-bottle.jpg
And it also comes in gold!

I'm using a disposable Gillette razor with this soap. Is this ok?
My first toe-dip into enjoying shaving was purchasing a shaving brush and soap on my honeymoon in London in the early 90s. For about 15+ years, I used the brush and soap (and creams) plus a cartridge razor. So, yes, you can use it that way. One of my sons is doing that now. There is no one right path here.

As for storing soaps, I bowl lather. My soaps come in their own plastic tub with a lid. I load my shaving brush in that tub, then proceed to my shaving bowl and finish lathering there (adding drops of water, etc.). I then let the tub dry during the day and close it up in the early evening.

What's my shaving bowl? For about two decades it was a round plastic Glad container (about a 1 to 2 cup size). Then I splurged on a $10 metal bowl that is no better than the Glad plastic one.

If you go further into soaps, you might start getting samples. That is where having more plastic shaving bowls can be handy (the same Glad bowls work here as well). I did buy some plain shaving tubs from Stirling Soap company that I like, as well as used tubs from Maggard's (I think I preferred the unused ones from Stirling, but not by a large margin). Happy shaving!

I mostly have artisan soaps that I load from the tub. For the triple milled and hard soap pucks there are a few options, A - you can use the puck like a shave stick and rub the edge directly on you face using the stubble to load the soap on your face, then lather with a brush, B - get a mug or or bowl thag you use to load or lather the brush and soap in, then remove the puck and set aside to dry, or C - you can get a diverse array of containers and designate each one to a single puck of soap. I have a few apothecary mugs I came into cheap thag I loaded with some triple mulled soaps, and I have some other soaps thag I have broke up or even melted into some wooden bowls. I really like the wooden bowls, the look nice and work well, for a 4 pack on amazon for less than $10.

overall, I will admit, outside of my Tabac in its porcelain bowl, I prefer the creams or artisan soaps/croaps that remain in their own tubs. Also, the harder soaps will accumulate in all those mugs and bowls pretty quickly if you are one for variety as they tend to last a very long time.

Top Bottom