What's new

I believe I'm hooked!

I received my tub of Proraso Red Shaving Soap, along with a brush, and a bottle of Proraso Red Aftershave. I used it this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A couple of questions that I have is:

1. I'm using a disposable Gillette razor with this soap. Is this ok?

2. I'd love to try other soaps, but how do I go about that? Must you have a mug per soap? The Proraso isn't a problem since it comes in its own tub, but what about those pucks that require a lathering mug? What do you do with the puck you haven't' used up yet when switching to a new puck?

Thanks for helping a guy out who in the past has only ever used canned shaving cream!

God bless you each one!

Welcome to the habit.

There’s nothing wrong with using a cartridge razor. I had used one from 1984 to 2014 when o went back to DE. For the past year I’ve been mostly using a straight. So be careful, or you’ll get sucked in.

I use my soaps on their tubs. If the cone that way. A lot do. My Haslinger and other pucks get their own mug/cup. I do build lather from all of them in a scuttle.

The main thing is to have fun with it. Find out what floats your boat and follow your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Of course it's ok. But if you keep reading around here contentment will be elusive.
2. There are a ton of soap options. A simple cereal bowl can be used to scrape a small amount of any soap into. Porasso red is a great scent. Check out some sandalwood scents and you might like them. Soap can be purchased in small sample sizes to avoid having lots of tubs that you don't like.

I'm using a disposable Gillette razor with this soap. Is this ok?

The way I see it, you own the face, so you also completely own the "ok or not" choice.

Can't advise on soaps — really wanted to like them, and got the usual suspects like Palmolive, Arko and Wilkinson, but anything more aggressively alkaline than toilet soap seems to sting.

I'm currently exploring the obscure world of using pre-shave oils plus the non-irritant canned foams, like Nivea. Mostly I use a Rockwell DE.

For the plain pucks, you can provide a container of your choice. Some people don't like breakable things in the bathroom, others don't mind. Pyrex makes some glass containers with plastic lids for food storage. There are also plastic containers from Ziplock, etc. My favorite is metal containers similar to these 4-inch round ones:

cont-1.jpg

Go on a shave site just google shaving soap and you will have millions of options buy one and give it a shot I say try the cheaper stuff first some of the cheap stuff is very good ie arko palmolive exct some get up there in price as well and some smell like cologne or aftershave some stink I can’t stand Wilkinson some love it just try is

Go on a shave site just google shaving soap and you will have millions of options buy one and give it a shot I say try the cheaper stuff first some of the cheap stuff is very good ie arko palmolive exct some get up there in price as well and some smell like cologne or aftershave some stink I can’t stand Wilkinson some love it just try is
Another great option is VDH soap. Inexpensive and a decent performer!

DE razors and blades really enhance the shave.

It is fun to experiment with different soaps. As to the containers, $-Tree has 5 small containers-- suitable for apuck--for one dollar.

2. I'd love to try other soaps, but how do I go about that? Must you have a mug per soap? The Proraso isn't a problem since it comes in its own tub, but what about those pucks that require a lathering mug? What do you do with the puck you haven't' used up yet when switching to a new puck?

God bless you each one!

I have mugs for each of my hard (triple-milled) soaps. For softer soaps, I just load from the puck, then face lather. But that's just me, do it however you want.

Most on-line save shops offer containers for pucks (aluminum or plastic) with lids for reasonable prices.

I received my tub of Proraso Red Shaving Soap, along with a brush, and a bottle of Proraso Red Aftershave. I used it this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A couple of questions that I have is:

Thanks for helping a guy out who in the past has only ever used canned shaving cream!

God bless you each one!
Soap puck sizes vary, so no one mug will fit all perfectly. You could use an oversized coffee mug that you might already have in the cupboards. That’s what I did when I started. After use, let the soap dry out for a few hours and then cover it up. I just cover mine with an old plastic food container lid, but you could use Saran Wrap and a rubber band. There are classier ways to go, but this is cheap and effective.

There are so many soaps out there to try, so this can be an addictive and fun hobby.

Something like this from Amazon will work, but most of the popular shave soaps are available in their own (usually plastic) container.

1579447344435.jpeg

Welcome aboard!

In answer to your questions:

Sure!! Whatever works is just fine!

I much prefer using my DEs. But, if I am traveling light with multiple plane trips then I use a cart with my travel kit (including a shave stick and small brush).

The easiest way to get a lather IME is to use a shave stick. You just wash your face, then rub the stick over your beard. Then go to work with your brush: easy!!

Other soaps come in their own mugs. It is generally less expensive to just purchase a puck which you can store in most any container either a special mug/bowl, such as the classic OS mugs, or something from the kitchen, such as a ramekin.

The main thing is to have fun!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Welcome To B&B- Soaps are defiantly one of the greatest parts of any shave.
If you like Cartridge razors that's fine IMO, billions of other fellows are doing so it does fit into wet shaving.
I always liked Gillette's & Schick's evolution on Cartridge razors 35yrs+ but now I'm a single edge DE or SE traditional razor person 3yrs+ & enjoy shaving with all the different shaving gear.
Have some great shaves!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome Pastor Charlie! I am pretty new as well. I raided the kitchen for my lathering bowl (save a few $ and put it towards another soap or cream) and I will simply load my brush from the puck in its container and then lather in my bowl. Many different soaps here, one bowl. I have heard that one can microwave a shaving soap to get it into a more suitable container if need be, but have not tried that route myself.

Now the question is can you be enticed away from those disposables to a DE....

I used Bic disposables with Proraso white for several months. It was a great way to start learning how to build lathers. I'm almost getting the hang of it now. I've since moved on to DE razors and that's when I became hooked, mostly because of the challenge and variety, of both razors and blades, not to mention soaps and brushes. The most common advice is to start out with a Merkur 34C or DE/R89. Both very well made razors and many like them, but for my money, I'd recommend a vintage Gillette Tech. I prefer it to the 34C by some margin and they can be had for very little cost.
2. I'd love to try other soaps, but how do I go about that?

Shavedash and Maggards supply soap and cream samples. They can be used in any household container. I use a ramekin that originally contained a creme brulee to soak my brush and it works great as a lathering bowl/soap dish too.

Dear Pastor Charlie,

It has come to my attention that you are in need of pra..., er ah, encouragement. Let me add to the comments made by our brothers above: (No, not THAT above!)

1. Sure, use whatever razor works for you. We're not judging (much).
2. Shaving mugs are overrated, but hey, whatever sprinkles your doughnuts. You can have a number of soap pucks; just hold it in your hand and load the brush there. Also, use the puck like a shaving stick and just rub it on your face, this is probably one of the most efficient ways to get shaving soap on your whiskers. Put the puck aside to dry while you try another one the next day, and the next, and th... well, you get the idea.

Take care.

Dear Pastor Charlie,

It has come to my attention that you are in need of pra..., er ah, encouragement. Let me add to the comments made by our brothers above: (No, not THAT above!)

1. Sure, use whatever razor works for you. We're not judging (much).
2. Shaving mugs are overrated, but hey, whatever sprinkles your doughnuts. You can have a number of soap pucks; just hold it in your hand and load the brush there. Also, use the puck like a shaving stick and just rub it on your face, this is probably one of the most efficient ways to get shaving soap on your whiskers. Put the puck aside to dry while you try another one the next day, and the next, and th... well, you get the idea.

Take care.
Yeah let’s say much like the other day a guy brought canned porasso foam we don’t judge much personally I wouldn’t touch it with another blokes old fella but it’s personal preference

The razor doesn't matter. If you like using disposable razors, then by all means go to town! I'm glad you have had such good results with Proraso. I endorse what others have said about buying a cheap container to hold a puck of soap. The less stuff you have, the less complicated things are.

Top Bottom