What's new

I asked my wife to rate my frags, and...

...I'm looking for suggestions based on her likes and disklikes. My wife is not a big frag head. She likes what she likes, and when questioned about why, it is simply "I just like it", and that is that. So this list is not based on my preferences but on her reactions to the fragrances on the list. I had her rate them from 1-5, with 1 being "she'd prefer I never wear it again" and 5 being "feel free to wear this anytime you want me close to you". She then gave me a top 3 out of the 5's. I noticed obvious patterns from her choices, with a handful of surprises thrown in. I'm hopelessly addicted to acquiring fragrances, and I'm hoping to get some solid suggestions based on her likes and dislikes. Some of my favorites are sitting in the bottom half of her list. I like what I like, but I also like her close sometimes. I'm posting this above my fragrances so that I have a ready guide to what she wants to smell on me. Do note that my fragrances tend to run on the less expensive end of things, and her favorites are mostly budgets. I am perfectly ok with continuing that trend. Really high end frags are just not in my budget.

Attachments

• My Frags As Rated By My Wife - Sheet1.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 172
Part of the fun for me is to find those fragrances both I and my wife like. And you simply don't have to spend a lot of money to smell great.

Part of the fun for me is to find those fragrances both I and my wife like. And you simply don't have to spend a lot of money to smell great.
I agree. I need help finding some frags that might cross over. I can only handle so many aquatics.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nice top choices. I like many if the top ones as well.

Some other budget ones to try:
Banana Republic Black Walnut
Bvlgari Man in Black (like Spicebomb but more depth)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@SharptoothC you better listen to your wife because she knows what best for you in the long term when it comes to fragrance ;) otherwise you could end up going out the front door very quick.

I've had Ferragamo on my list for a while, but I haven't been acquiring new stuff in a while. My cabinet is stuffed to the gills and I don't have room until something gets used up.

Maybe I'll get it when there's room, unless my ADD dictates otherwise...

I'm also thinking about making a list similar to the one the OP made. My wife is fleeting and fickle about fragrances. She has ones she absolutely loves and some she absolutely loathes, but some I can wear two days in a row and the first she'll comment about how good it smells and the second she'll equate it to a full cat box in an old woman's apartment in a nursing home.

We may have some similarities, though.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

...but some I can wear two days in a row and the first she'll comment about how good it smells and the second she'll equate it to a full cat box in an old woman's apartment in a nursing home...
This - over and over. From the OP's list fascinated to find Grey Flannel a 1 (no surprise) and Z-14 a 5. Wow! Z-14 always gets the "you smell like an old man" treatment in my house - protestations that I am an old man are ignored.

This - over and over. From the OP's list fascinated to find Grey Flannel a 1 (no surprise) and Z-14 a 5. Wow! Z-14 always gets the "you smell like an old man" treatment in my house - protestations that I am an old man are ignored.
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

If it were up to my wife I'd be wearing Virgin Island Bay Rum or Aspen/Brut Blue every day (those are the only ones that never get any amount of disapproval). Thankfully what I smell like isn't (always) my wife's decision.

On a side note I didn't even submit Grey Flannel for my wife to smell because I couldn't even stand it. It's now sitting in a box in my closet with a handful of other fragrances I can't abide.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I saw Grey Flannel coming in at a 1 from a mile away. I was shocked that she likes the Z-14, especially considering she really didn't like Azzaro and I find similarities with the two.

It's funny. My wife loves Grey Flannel. She bought it for me. I like it but don't love it.

It's funny. My wife loves Grey Flannel. She bought it for me. I like it but don't love it.

It didn't bother me that she doesn't like it. I'm not keen on it either. I bought it because it was iconic and inexpensive. It's one of the few I've bought that I cannot wear.

Note to self try F Black!
I wish it had better longevity on my skin.
I wore this going to sleep one night and my wife made a bit of a snarky remark about what I was wearing.
I figured, ok so she doesn't care much for it, but I like it and can wear it away from her.
A few days later I shot some on after a shower and shave. I asked her what she thought of my cologne.
She said she really liked it. I told her it was the same juice she smelled a few night earlier.

One nice affordable aquatic I've recently purchased is Tres Nuit by Armaf. To me it smells like a toned down, creamier version of Cool Water (I have never smelled GIT).

SharptoothC - it looks like you have some good ones from which to choose. The fragrances in my collection that are the most universally liked are the Creeds. I know they are pricey, but most of them can be had for cheap (relatively) on the discount websites or you can buy small decants on basenotes or ebay.

Sounds like many of us are in the same predicament - my wife humors me and puts up with my fragrance hobby/addiction. A few of my fragrances she really likes, so I try to reserve those for date nights. The rest of the time I pretty much wear what I want. Occasionally I will completely strike out - she actually said the other day "don't ever wear that one near me again." :001_unsur

SharptoothC - it looks like you have some good ones from which to choose. The fragrances in my collection that are the most universally liked are the Creeds. I know they are pricey, but most of them can be had for cheap (relatively) on the discount websites or you can buy small decants on basenotes or ebay.

Sounds like many of us are in the same predicament - my wife humors me and puts up with my fragrance hobby/addiction. A few of my fragrances she really likes, so I try to reserve those for date nights. The rest of the time I pretty much wear what I want. Occasionally I will completely strike out - she actually said the other day "don't ever wear that one near me again." :001_unsur
I would eventually like to pick up a couple of "high end" frags, but my wife complains less when I buy cheaper. And her favorite tend to lean less expensive. I don't have many she hates, but Mahogany Woods, which I love, is her kryptonite. I reserve it for trips.

Top Bottom