What's new

I am so out of control! This forum is evil!!!

There's a tobacconist w/ 2 locations in town. However, their website, while mentioning pipes and pipe tobaccos, seems to be all about cigars. I've written to ask which pipe tobaccos they carry. Probably they won't have SWR or any of the other codgers, but it would be nice to know what they do have.
I visited! Very nice place. It's mostly about cigars, as I suspected, but they do have a large number of bulk pipe tobaccos, and quite a few of the tinned (Peterson, Mac Baren, SPC, and I think I saw a square tin of Capstan Blue). New pipes, no estates, and the only pouched stuff was RYO -- no Sir Walter or Half & Half, etc. Still, it's nice to know it's there. I picked up an ounce of their White Burley, which smells in the pouch much like SWR, and some pipe cleaners.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Oh boy. SWMBO stopped being pissed at me over guns, because I more or less quit buying them when I filled my second gun safe. I never spent that much on pens (and lost interest, I write mostly with two Lamy's a fine and a medium, and an old Scheaffer School Pen M), and she really pays no attention to my shaving stuff.

But she's starting to notice the number of pipes and tobacco showing up. I think I'm working myself into the doghouse again.

Maybe I could use an old gun buying tactic. I'd buy a gun, sneak it into the safe (one of them), then wait 6-9 months, then sneak it out to the kitchen and start cleaning it before a range outing. The conversation that ensued was like this.

SWMBO: "DID YOU GET ANOTHER GUN?!"

ME: "No, dear, I've had this one for 'a while', I'm just taking it out shooting today."

It worked more times than you can imagine.

I hope, like guns, all my pipes look the same to her. :lol:
I didn't see this post before, but have to agree. I'm a 15 pipe owner now, and am going to have to start looking at moving some of these on, I can't see me smoking 15 different pipes...
But I do have a desk top stand that holds 12 and a vintage chair side floor pipe rack coming today that holds 16 pipes, so...

I just ordered a Peterson Arklow 606 from SP, and they threw in a free tin of C & D Alpine Lodge. And here i was thinking I had enough pipes and tobacco already. . . .

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just ordered a Peterson Arklow 606 from SP, and they threw in a free tin of C & D Alpine Lodge. And here i was thinking I had enough pipes and tobacco already. . . .
This is B&B. However many or how much you have, it's never enough!
If I don't stop at 28, that means I have to buy another pipe rack.

:blush:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I didn't see this post before, but have to agree. I'm a 15 pipe owner now, and am going to have to start looking at moving some of these on, I can't see me smoking 15 different pipes...
But I do have a desk top stand that holds 12 and a vintage chair side floor pipe rack coming today that holds 16 pipes, so...

You don’t have to smoke em to keep them around. Speaking from experience lol.

I'll have to make up a chart of regular rotation and special event pipes!
I've moved a pot-bowl pipe, a no-name model with a lucite stem, and a Lorenzo Oom Paul model to a separate box with tobaccos I don't plan to smoke soon. (The pot pipe and the other tobaccos, Walnut Match for instance, I might give away or trade, but the Oom Paul has too much history; 'twas my very first real pipe.) So they are out of the rotation for now. And I find myself reaching most often for the newer pipes, those I picked up this year.

I need another rack too.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@luvmysuper Phil, you are awesome! You make me feel so good! I stop in here a couple, three months ago, had a few pipes, smoked off and on for decades, mostly off, and BANG! I'm buying pipes, buying refurbed pipes, buying pipes to refurb, buying tools, collecting tobaccos, thinking, "Oh, great, here I go again, off the deep end!" I'm wondering is there anyone else this susceptible to a new acquisition disorder?

Then you come along, and in about two weeks, you're like ...

this-st-with-hold-my-beer-15934863.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@luvmysuper Phil, you are awesome! You make me feel so good! I stop in here a couple, three months ago, had a few pipes, smoked off and on for decades, mostly off, and BANG! I'm buying pipes, buying refurbed pipes, buying pipes to refurb, buying tools, collecting tobaccos, thinking, "Oh, great, here I go again, off the deep end!" I'm wondering is there anyone else this susceptible to a new acquisition disorder?

Then you come along, and in about two weeks, you're like ...

View attachment 1378808
It's like I said, I'm smart enough to recognize I have a problem, but having enough fun to the point that I don't really care! :lol1:
We have precious little time on this big blue marble, and I'm going to try to fill it with as much fun as I can!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I bought another pipe rack then realized the way its made doesn’t allow bent pipes to be stored in it. Oh well, looks like I have to buy more straights to fill it up. Oh, and I need another rack for my bents.
Can you put them in backwards, or turn the stem 180?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Can you put them in backwards, or turn the stem 180?
No, I tried it all. Judging by the amount of dust on the rack it had been in the shop a LONG time. The owner went to ring it up looked at the price and said “that’s too much” and knocked 1/2 off. It has circular openings for the stems, eventually I’ll take it out to the shop cut the circles into u shape openings so the stems will rest in the opening instead of being put through the opening. Does that make sense? It’s been a long day and the words aren’t coming easily.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Oh boy. SWMBO stopped being pissed at me over guns, because I more or less quit buying them when I filled my second gun safe. I never spent that much on pens (and lost interest, I write mostly with two Lamy's a fine and a medium, and an old Scheaffer School Pen M), and she really pays no attention to my shaving stuff.

But she's starting to notice the number of pipes and tobacco showing up. I think I'm working myself into the doghouse again.

Maybe I could use an old gun buying tactic. I'd buy a gun, sneak it into the safe (one of them), then wait 6-9 months, then sneak it out to the kitchen and start cleaning it before a range outing. The conversation that ensued was like this.

SWMBO: "DID YOU GET ANOTHER GUN?!"

ME: "No, dear, I've had this one for 'a while', I'm just taking it out shooting today."

It worked more times than you can imagine.

I hope, like guns, all my pipes look the same to her. :lol:
I knew you were smart. It is impossible to fool @Marco , and I respect his opinion.

But this story PROVES that you. are. a. genius!

I am not nearly this smart, but I will be studying at your feet my friend.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No, I tried it all. Judging by the amount of dust on the rack it had been in the shop a LONG time. The owner went to ring it up looked at the price and said “that’s too much” and knocked 1/2 off. It has circular openings for the stems, eventually I’ll take it out to the shop cut the circles into u shape openings so the stems will rest in the opening instead of being put through the opening. Does that make sense? It’s been a long day and the words aren’t coming easily.
That makes perfect sense and is a brilliant idea. Looks like I'll be in the shop tomorrow spending some quality time with my scroll saw!

Top Bottom