What's new

I am really beginning to love boar

I started using a boar brush [Semogue 2000] when I first purchased some Cella soap several months ago. I started using the brush with my Proraso when the weather started to warm up about a month ago. I used the Semogue with my Arko mashed up in my old spice mug this morning and wow did it create an awesome lather !! Up until recently I have been strictly a badger guy. My Semogue is starting to break in and get really soft. When I first started de shaving I thought badger was the only way , but now I am enjoying boar just as much . Since I will be planning to use Proraso and Arko exclusively for summer , I will be giving my badger brushes a rest until fall..

Welcome to the club!

I made the switch to boar brushes around Jan. '11 ... and there's no looking back.

I started with a Semogue 1305, and it is still the softest and most broken in of all my boars.
Since then, I've added 2 SOCs, a Semogue Custom 2010, and a few drugstore brushes like the VdH DELUXE (white handle.)

Don't give up on your badgers, though ... I keep a Rooney 3/1 and a WeeScot handy for those days when I want to switch things up.

There is a Facebook group for Semogue Owners ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/145243472782/

And remember, those boar bristles take a good long time to get broken in. If you like it now, you will love it in a few months ... it just keeps getting better and better the more you use it.

I think it is just ironic. My story was pretty stereotypical. At first, boar is "entry level" so I definitely want to stay away from it. So I had to get a "better" badger brush, and that was great. Then it makes sense get and try out a bunch of different badgers. Different lofts, different knot, shape, etc. Before you know it we have a dozen brushes in the bathroom and shopping at Ikea for storage solutions. And it seems good. Then out of the blue, I threw a cheap boar on an order to get free shipping, and bam! Your world is upside down.

I too really love boar brushes. Right on.

I pretty much immediately fell in love with my SOC, and I only have 7-8 shaves on it so far. I can't wait until the durned thing is actually broken in. I like my Omega 10066 as well, but it's definitely not an SOC.

- Mark

I think it is just ironic. My story was pretty stereotypical. At first, boar is "entry level" so I definitely want to stay away from it. So I had to get a "better" badger brush, and that was great. Then it makes sense get and try out a bunch of different badgers. Different lofts, different knot, shape, etc. Before you know it we have a dozen brushes in the bathroom and shopping at Ikea for storage solutions. And it seems good. Then out of the blue, I threw a cheap boar on an order to get free shipping, and bam! Your world is upside down.

I too really love boar brushes. Right on.

Very similar to my thinking, though I didn't have the funds to gather a big collection of badgers. I got a horse brush second, and loved it quickly, then a silvertip. I picked up an Omega Pro 49 for a friend for his birthday, and found it intriguing enough that I had to buy one myself.

5 weeks later I'm in love and have my first Semogue as well.

I much prefer boar over badger. I like the backbone, and lately I've noticed that my lather seems much more thick and rich when using a boar over a badger. Since I bought a carton I use Arko exclusively. I face lather, and it could very well be my technique, but when I use a badger the lather seems airy. Maybe the boar just whips up a lather quicker for me, but it works and I like it. I doubt I'll ever buy another badger.

Lately I've been using Horse and Badger more, but I'll always be a boar-man deep down. I have about 7 of them now and can think of 2 more I'd like to add right off the top of my head.

I recently got my first boar, an Omega Pro 49, after 2.5 years of using nothing but badger and assuming that boar brushes were inferior. I'm very glad I took the plunge. The brush is just a lather machine and provides me with a feel that is totally different from my badgers', but satisfying in its own way. I definitely see a Semogue in my future.

Congratulations. My boars see far more sink time than any of the badgers that I spent well more on. If you're looking for suggestions on your next boar, take a look at the Semogue Owners Club. It's a great brush!

Thanks for the facebook info , I just sent a request to join.. I will not give up on my badgers , I will continue to use them on my DR Harris , TOBS , and Tabac soaps..

Welcome to the club!

I made the switch to boar brushes around Jan. '11 ... and there's no looking back.

I started with a Semogue 1305, and it is still the softest and most broken in of all my boars.
Since then, I've added 2 SOCs, a Semogue Custom 2010, and a few drugstore brushes like the VdH DELUXE (white handle.)

Don't give up on your badgers, though ... I keep a Rooney 3/1 and a WeeScot handy for those days when I want to switch things up.

There is a Facebook group for Semogue Owners ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/145243472782/

And remember, those boar bristles take a good long time to get broken in. If you like it now, you will love it in a few months ... it just keeps getting better and better the more you use it.

Congratulations. My boars see far more sink time than any of the badgers that I spent well more on. If you're looking for suggestions on your next boar, take a look at the Semogue Owners Club. It's a great brush!

Thank you David , I have been eyeing up the SOC as well as an 830..

I love my Omega 20102. I love my Simpson Commodore. I can't say boar is better than a good badger. But it's definitely better than a cheap badger and a wonderful value.

Every time I pull out a boar brush I ask myself why I don't use it more often.

Don't think I could retire all the other brushes though

Maybe it's my technique, or the particular badgers I own (Simpson best) , but I'm consistently getting way better shaves and great lather when I use my boars. I'm using predominantly hard soaps. This is true whether I'm using one of my Semogue's, Omega or even my cheap VDH Deluxe-which for whatever reason is becoming one of my favorites for whipping up no-brainer, effortless lather with great shaves from whatever soap I throw at it. I think I prefer the face feel of boars as well-at least with the brushes I own, YMMV. Those boar bristles get start to get really nice and soft after splitting and breaking in. +1 on the SOC too-great brush.

One thing I did notice with my technique, and may be factor, is I tend to be more fussy and careful with the badgers for fear of breaking hairs just because they are more expensive brushes, whereas I'm not afraid to get far more aggressive and vigorous with the boars.

Thank you David , I have been eyeing up the SOC as well as an 830..

Ive owned both. The SOC gets the nod in my opinion. It's the closest thing I've found to the Semogue 2010 custom boar we had the group buy on (which is by far my favorite boar). Not a bad decision either way. My SOC is a freak and is somehow breaking in faster than any other boar I've ever owned.

Ive owned both. The SOC gets the nod in my opinion. It's the closest thing I've found to the Semogue 2010 custom boar we had the group buy on (which is by far my favorite boar). Not a bad decision either way. My SOC is a freak and is somehow breaking in faster than any other boar I've ever owned.

Now that is a very special brush. outstanding even. Best boar brush out there, and holds its own against the very best badgers.

Top Bottom