What's new

I am pretty impressed now!

Such a breath of fresh air! A new shaver doing it right! Sticking with one set of gear for a while. This will soooo improve your learning curve over having 3 razors, 6 lather products, and a blade sampler. Within a month you’ll be amazed at your progress, and then is the time to branch out. Wonderful! Keep it up!

I am absolutely floored by your comment! I was so touched after reading that! Basically I just want to keep things simple for now; slowly branching out away from the standard supermarket stuff into the more 'exotic' stuff if you see what I mean. I have decided to keep my bargain basement DE razor for now and try a couple of different brands of blades in it, as well as trying the more luxurious shaving cream in a travel tube before making a larger investment.

Jason.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
If more new shavers would do that, and IF our very well-meaning, always trying to be helpful experienced shavers didn't jump on every new shaver like raw steak in the lion's cage, and have them loaded up with 4 razors, a dozen blade, 3 types of brushes and 15 lather products ... and tons of advice all of it good ... people would learn to shave faster around here.

This is partly tongue in cheek of course, everyone here is trying to be helpful. Sometimes we are just overwhelming, though. You keep on keepin on, sir, you are doing it right!

How's your lather technique coming along? Asking for a friend. :lol: If you have not seen it, check out these threads. They helped a very frustrated new latherer here recently.

And part 2

Cheers,

John

If more new shavers would do that, and IF our very well-meaning, always trying to be helpful experienced shavers didn't jump on every new shaver like raw steak in the lion's cage, and have them loaded up with 4 razors, a dozen blade, 3 types of brushes and 15 lather products ... and tons of advice all of it good ... people would learn to shave faster around here.

This is partly tongue in cheek of course, everyone here is trying to be helpful. Sometimes we are just overwhelming, though. You keep on keepin on, sir, you are doing it right!

How's your lather technique coming along? Asking for a friend. :lol: If you have not seen it, check out these threads. They helped a very frustrated new latherer here recently.

And part 2

Cheers,

John
Thanks John for that kind reply. Every reply and post on this forum is always welcome and helpful.

I am looking forward to trying a different blade in my razor and that luxury shaving cream as mentioned in my other post. I will post my opinion afterwards.

Jason.

Reactions: GNR
Such a breath of fresh air! A new shaver doing it right! Sticking with one set of gear for a while. This will soooo improve your learning curve over having 3 razors, 6 lather products, and a blade sampler. Within a month you’ll be amazed at your progress, and then is the time to branch out. Wonderful! Keep it up!

Jason has been using Treets only and today is 9/10. Looks as if he joined on 8/21 and stated he was shaving with a double edge razor. I somehow doubt his trying some different blades in about 10 to 14 days from now when they finally end up arriving in the UK will affect his technique adversely.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The DE blades of today are outstanding. They are much better than the blades which Duke Snider , Mickey Mantle, and Stan Musial used.

Astra SP and Feather are highly recommended, and the only two I use personally.
The Astra will set you back $8 for 100 blades on Amazon. The Feather about $25.
I wouldn't recommend the Feather until you're happy with your technique and getting nick free shaves... when you try the Feathers, be prepared to get bit of you don't have a no pressure stroke!

A very very very warm good afternoon to all of you on this thread.

Today I used my DE with a Merkur blade and the Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream which I purchased yesterday. Im trying to be as objective as I can in this message as I know a few of you are interested.

The cream is very thick and heavy and it took a lot of effort to squeeze some out of the tube! However it did indeed give a nice thick layer when applied, thought it did have a rather 'soapy' smell to it.

The Merkur blade did perform better than the Treet on my cheeks and sideburns, but still struggled on my chin hair which is VERY tough and wiry. However I think this may be down to the razor rather than the blade itself. I asked my wife to get me a Merkur 39c Sledgehammer Slant Bar for my birthday given how awesome it felt in the shop!

Kind regards to everybody on this forum. Its like a family here. I like that.

Jason.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmmmmm. I wonder if your cream was old. It should not take "a lot of effort" to squeeze it out of the tube. At least I don't think it should. I always get the tubs.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmmmmm. I wonder if your cream was old. It should not take "a lot of effort" to squeeze it out of the tube. At least I don't think it should. I always get the tubs.

John, you are right: it should not be difficult to squeeze out. This is valid for the vast majority of new creams, even if there are a few exceptions (the first ones that immediately come to my mind are Ach. Brito Lavanda or Cella Extra Extra Bio in tube, which are normally not that soft and easy to squeeze out).

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
You've already gotten some excellent advice, so I'll just say you're doing great! You've come to the right place for a wealth of good information, and very helpful and knowledgeable people.
Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your reply.

Here is my razor:

Very nice looking razor.
From the pics the head looks like a DE89 clone, there are many around.
And the reason for that is that it's a very good, tried and tested design.
I'd say definitely stick with it for a while before considering another razor - you may well find that you never need to.

Top Bottom