What's new

I am new to double edge shaving

Hello everyone! I'm new here)
How are you?
Welcome to B&B @pristick

Doing great. You may want to post a new thread so you can introduce yourself properly. Put a thread title in and type away (Red Circle with your profile image.)

thread.jpg

Good morning all. Sorry it’s been a while since I was last on this forum but I do a lot of shift work so I can’t always be on here. But your company/advice is always welcome.

Jason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good evening all.

I made my very first purchase of a double edge razor. Thought I'd give it a go after how they offer a much better shave than the overpriced multi-blade cartridge razors. It is from a company named BeautyTrack. Here is the link:

Any tips on how I can get the most out of this razor? I have tried it once using King Of Shaves shaving gel and I have to say (barring a couple of nicks) it does a pretty good job!

Thanks. Jason.
My tip is - throw it away and buy one of the following two - Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R89... or the new King C Gillette DE razor (same head, longer handle).

You can thank me later 😜

So how are your shaves going along Jason?
Good evening and apologies for the late reply -- i've been really busy at work and all that.

My shaves are EXCELLENT compared to my Mach3; my only beef with DE shaving is that I seem to get the odd nick and cut. I understand that there is a learning curve to using a DE and I'm still practicing, but it is certainly MUCH more enjoyable than using my Mach3.

Jason.

My tip is - throw it away and buy one of the following two - Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R89... or the new King C Gillette DE razor (same head, longer handle).

You can thank me later 😜

Thanks for your advice. I am still getting to grips with my Beautytrack DE razor though I am making progress. I feel I need to invest in some quality shaving cream or soap to get the most out of it before I consider upgrading my razor. Right now I am just using King Of Shaves shaving gel.

I am not sure if this belongs in a separate thread, but I am really torn between shaving cream and shaving soap. I know the replies to this will be subjective, but I just want some general guidance, as I want something that is far better than the usual supermarket stuff. I am looking for something that will provide a neat rich lather that will provide a fantastic glide with minimum irritation with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks in advance for any replies to this.

Jason.

Thanks for your advice. I am still getting to grips with my Beautytrack DE razor though I am making progress. I feel I need to invest in some quality shaving cream or soap to get the most out of it before I consider upgrading my razor. Right now I am just using King Of Shaves shaving gel.

I am not sure if this belongs in a separate thread, but I am really torn between shaving cream and shaving soap. I know the replies to this will be subjective, but I just want some general guidance, as I want something that is far better than the usual supermarket stuff. I am looking for something that will provide a neat rich lather that will provide a fantastic glide with minimum irritation with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks in advance for any replies to this.

Jason.
Start out with cream and add a soap later.

Start out with cream and add a soap later.
Ok thanks. I'll start doing some research on shaving creams. I just want something that is better than the usual supermarket stuff. Also I have sensitive skin so any recommendations will be welcome. Thank you

I want something that is far better than the usual supermarket stuff.

Truthfully, either a soap or a cream will check this box.

I am looking for something that will provide a neat rich lather that will provide a fantastic glide with minimum irritation with the minimum of fuss.

My guess is you're slightly more likely to get a really rich, high-performing lather out of a good soap compared to a cream -- unless you're willing to get into the very high end (read: expensive) shaving creams. I have far more experience with soaps than I do with creams though, so this reflects some bias on my part as well.

Within soaps, to keep things simple, we can outline 3 general categories to choose from: a) hard soaps (often triple-milled), b) Italian-style croaps, c) newer artisan shave soaps. All can be very, very good; "a" and "b" generally tend to be cheaper once you factor in the number of shaves you get per unit of product. There are truthfully too many great soaps out there to give any sort of comprehensive list. Some stalwarts worth mentioning include Haslinger (hard soap) and Cella (croap) -- although there are probably a hundred others you can easily get your hands on that will also be great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom