What's new

I am new to double edge shaving

Good evening all.

I made my very first purchase of a double edge razor. Thought I'd give it a go after how they offer a much better shave than the overpriced multi-blade cartridge razors. It is from a company named BeautyTrack. Here is the link:

Any tips on how I can get the most out of this razor? I have tried it once using King Of Shaves shaving gel and I have to say (barring a couple of nicks) it does a pretty good job!

Thanks. Jason.

Welcome to the greener side of shaving! It's all uphill from here friend.

I'd suggest trying a variety of different blades to see if your experience changes. I never tried that gel but I'm pretty sure you'd be better off with something more traditional. Pickup an inexpensive synthetic shaving brush and an easy to lather cream like Taylor of Old Bond Street. Stay with those items until you get the hang of the process and experiment with different blades and how they feel on your skin and the varying results. It takes some to retrain your muscles to not push down on a safety razor the same way you push on a cartridge razor. Once you get this down and it becomes second nature, you'll be on your way.

You should be able to grab all these items at any online retailer in your area.

Welcome!

I agree with the above. Every combination is not a one-size-fits-all that can be applied to everyone.

Finding the right blade combination to that razor for your skin is going to take some patience and research (but sure is fun if you make it to be). But that blade may not work as well in another razor. Having variety is good as you'll eventually find your "go-to" shave setup.

If you haven't yet, learn to map out your face and to know which direction is with the grain (WTG), across the grain (XTG), and against the grain (ATG). There are shaving videos and posts with more info.

As you shave more, your experience will get better. Your patience will pay off for sure :). Happy shaves!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hi Jason, welcome aboard. Good to hear you're happy with your initial results.

Here's my standard advice for new DE shavers.

The first four posts of that thread should give you a good understanding of all the basics, and there's a great many experienced shavers here who will help you along the journey to excellent shaves.

Thanks for your replys everyone! I am going to use it a second time today and I’ll let you know how it goes.

My razor feels very heavy in the hand (much heavier than my old Mach3) and it looks the business in black. It came with a pack of Treet blades which seem to work well. The free leather pouch it came with is handy.

Are there any real differences between different makes of blades? I just need something that gives a nice clean shave. Any good ‘beginner blades’?

Another reason of changing to a DE razor is to cut down on plastic use. And I like how the DE razor makes me feel much more of a man than my old Mach3.

Kind regards. Jason.

Yes there are differences in blades but it is good to get familiar with one before you explore others. If you feel comfortable with the provided Treet (Platinum?) then stick with them for the time being. Most people get 3-6 shaves out of 1 blade before it starts tugging some only 2-3 and some 10+.

In your shoes I would get a nice budget shaving cream (Nivea, Palmolive or Proraso) and a synthetic shaving brush - watch a couple of vids and start building lather (bowl or face).

Switching from gel to proper lather and application will give you a bigger boost on your shaving experience than a 100 Blade Sampler.

Just used my DE razor for the second time this morning and I must say it continues to impress me and its certainly more enjoyable than my Mach3. My technique is with the grain then against it as my hair is extremely straight so shaving against the grain isn't really a problem for me. My wife is also amazed by how clean and smooth the shave quality is. Even though my chin hair is extremely strong and wirey, the DE razor handled it very well. I am tempted to upgrade to a slant bar if my technique continues to improve.

However as per the replies I will try using proper shaving soap/cream first and see how it goes before I even consider upgrading my razor.

Jason.

As a relative newbie myself, let me praise the suggestions of the experienced and add just two things myself:
- spend enough time on B&B. Apart from @AimlessWanderer 's excellent intro, there's tons of information on the Wiki-part of this site that helped me a lot when I shifted from electric & disposables to DE shaving.
- start a daily diary in the diaries section. Just writing down what you did and with what result. This reflection helped me a lot to improve my shaving skills and it still does.

Welcome aboard!

Two suggestions:
1. Read through the WiKi.
2. Watch a few videos.

Traditional ‘wet’ shaving is a skill set that takes awhile to acquire. Well worth the effort!!
I am doing a lot of research on the topic. Just doing some research on creams vs soaps. I saw the Wilkinson Sword shaving soap in my local supermarket today. Was tempted to buy it, but I think I'll finish off my tube of King Of Shaves shaving gel first as I don't like waste.

Jason

Something else I like to add. I like how clean my skin feels after using my DE razor without feeling all slimy from the lubricating strips on my Mach3. I am really starting to enjoy DE shaving and I may well upgrade my razor once I really start to acquire all the knowledge from this forum!

I asked my wife to compare the quality of the shave from my DE and my Mach3. She said that the DE shave was better and she likes how it cuts down on the use of plastic, plus the blades are a lot cheaper.

I am doing a lot of research on the topic. Just doing some research on creams vs soaps. I saw the Wilkinson Sword shaving soap in my local supermarket today. Was tempted to buy it, but I think I'll finish off my tube of King Of Shaves shaving gel first as I don't like waste.

Jason
If the Wilkinson is in a bowl avoid it like hell! The stick is ok but even in drugstores you can find better stuff.

If the Wilkinson is in a bowl avoid it like hell! The stick is ok but even in drugstores you can find better stuff.
Have you tried the Wilkinson Sword soap in a bowl? How did you find it? I am just looking for some quality shaving soap/gel to compliment my DE razor since I am still a newbie to this topic. I have sensitive skin so any recommendations will be welcome.

Thanks. Jason.

Have you tried the Wilkinson Sword soap in a bowl? How did you find it? I am just looking for some quality shaving soap/gel to compliment my DE razor since I am still a newbie to this topic. I have sensitive skin so any recommendations will be welcome.

Thanks. Jason.
You can look for reviews on the Wilkinson but I don’t think you will find a favorable one.
Where are you located and do you want to shop local or is online also an option?

easy to get access to:
Nivea regular (not sensitive)
143CEE70-4238-43CF-A011-AC8D04A76670.jpeg

Palmolive
3525B935-9413-4E89-9F6E-046307E70092.jpeg

Proraso start with white or blue
E55B0727-E211-490E-9CC0-DFD4EAB13579.jpeg

Top Bottom