What's new

I am new to double edge shaving

Cella is another very highly-regarded and inexpensive shaving soap to consider. There is a red tub (the original) and a teal tub (newer version). You really can't go wrong with either one.

As someone who's also pretty new to DE razors my advice is to take it slow. The amount of gear available makes it so tempting to try lots of different things. But getting the most out of any razor/blade combination takes several shaves.

Thanks to those for your most recent replies. They have all been very helpful. I am veering more into shaving cream than shaving soap but I will consider all of the options presented to me. I can understand why the DE razors are making a tremendous comeback; better shave, cheaper blades, more options etc.

One thing I really like about DE razors is NO lubrastrips which just seem to gunk up my face.

Thanks. Jason.

As someone who's also pretty new to DE razors my advice is to take it slow. The amount of gear available makes it so tempting to try lots of different things. But getting the most out of any razor/blade combination takes several shaves.

Thanks for that. Just to keep it simple I am using my DE razor with the free Treet blades it came with, and I'm finishing off my bottle of King Of Shaves shaving gel before I venture into other avenues. But even with my 'starter' combination I am enjoying the experience.

Jason.

I have a preference towards creams too. Excellent performance and easier/less temperamental lathering.
Thats what I had in mind. I just want something that lathers up easily and provides a nice lubricated foundation for my razor with the minimum of fuss. I have assumed soaps dry out quicker than creams; hence me veering more towards creams than soaps.

Jason.

Triple milled hard soaps are already dry, so no worries there. The softer "croaps" have a pretty long shelf life and rehydrating is not a problem as you add water when lathering.

As you mentioned economic benefits, creams would be the least cost effective if measuring cost per shave. The softer the product, in general, the more of it is used per shave to make lather. The more firm the product, in general, less is used per shave. A puck of triple milled soap that provides several hundred shaves may cost more than a tube of cream, but will provide many more shaves per puck at a lower cost per shave.

Triple milled hard soaps are already dry, so no worries there. The softer "croaps" have a pretty long shelf life and rehydrating is not a problem as you add water when lathering.

As you mentioned economic benefits, creams would be the least cost effective if measuring cost per shave. The softer the product, in general, the more of it is used per shave to make lather. The more firm the product, in general, less is used per shave. A puck of triple milled soap that provides several hundred shaves may cost more than a tube of cream, but will provide many more shaves per puck at a lower cost per shave.
Thanks for that. I didn't realise there are so many avenues when it comes to DE shaving! Looks like I'm in for the ride of my life. However I just want to keep thinks simple for now so if I select a luxury shaving cream/soap I'll post my experience on this thread. At the moment I am really happy with my razor so my main focus is on the cream/soap side of things. My wife just commented on how smooth my face is 9 hours later after my DE shave this morning. I am certainly happy with how the DE shaving is coming along.

Thanks. Jason.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If you want an excellent low cost cream, seek out a tube of Erasmic. Last time I got one, it cost £1.09 for a tube. The only cream I like more is St James of London, but that's £20 a jar.

The Body Shop had Erasmic at one point, not sure if they still do, but my last tubes came from Savers.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Welcome to the right way to shave! Others have said this, but I will reiterate, and give you another cream suggestion.

1. First, there is a tremendous difference in blades, but it is a very idiosyncratic thing, blades that get much love here are despised by many, you need to find your own. But one savvy poster here said it best, stick with one blade for a month, then play with blade samplers. I would say stick with one for anywhere from 1 to 3 months. Then a blade sampler is fine. If you like your Treet platinums, stick with them. As mentioned Connaught's has them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, at least for a while.

2. Since you are British (or at least living there) why not try a classic British brand cream? These are economical for the number of shaves you get out of them, and they have a ton of different scents.

This scent has been discontinued, but Connaughts has it in stock -- Their Avocado was the first cream I tried and it is simply wonderful for sensitive necks while learning to shave comfortably. Some don't like the scent, which reminds me a little of cucumbers or fresh cut wet grass, but it is a stellar performer. Most of Taylor's scents are terrific. Also available at Connaught's. Jermyn Street is listed as for sensitive skin, and has a more manly barbershop or cologne-type scent if you want to try that. I'm a big fan of Royal Forest, too, which mimics the Creed Green Irish Tweed scent.

3. There are a gajillion Youtoobz on how to shave, but for a beginner, none are as informative, nor as entertaining as those by Mark, AKA Mantic59, IMHO. Just Google his channel. He's a wonderful guy, I met him about a decade ago, and he has a college Audio Visual background so his vids are always entertaining with vintage clips, music, etcetera. He'll help you get started, and covers ALL the basics. He's a one-stop educational source to get you well on your way.

Enjoy the journey!

Welcome to the right way to shave! Others have said this, but I will reiterate, and give you another cream suggestion.

1. First, there is a tremendous difference in blades, but it is a very idiosyncratic thing, blades that get much love here are despised by many, you need to find your own. But one savvy poster here said it best, stick with one blade for a month, then play with blade samplers. I would say stick with one for anywhere from 1 to 3 months. Then a blade sampler is fine. If you like your Treet platinums, stick with them. As mentioned Connaught's has them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, at least for a while.

2. Since you are British (or at least living there) why not try a classic British brand cream? These are economical for the number of shaves you get out of them, and they have a ton of different scents.

This scent has been discontinued, but Connaughts has it in stock -- Their Avocado was the first cream I tried and it is simply wonderful for sensitive necks while learning to shave comfortably. Some don't like the scent, which reminds me a little of cucumbers or fresh cut wet grass, but it is a stellar performer. Most of Taylor's scents are terrific. Also available at Connaught's. Jermyn Street is listed as for sensitive skin, and has a more manly barbershop or cologne-type scent if you want to try that. I'm a big fan of Royal Forest, too, which mimics the Creed Green Irish Tweed scent.

3. There are a gajillion Youtoobz on how to shave, but for a beginner, none are as informative, nor as entertaining as those by Mark, AKA Mantic59, IMHO. Just Google his channel. He's a wonderful guy, I met him about a decade ago, and he has a college Audio Visual background so his vids are always entertaining with vintage clips, music, etcetera. He'll help you get started, and covers ALL the basics. He's a one-stop educational source to get you well on your way.

Enjoy the journey!
Thanks for your detailed reply! Yes its a long journey but with so many avenues to choose from; which path do I take?!

At the moment I am pretty pleased with the free Treet blades that came with my razor; thats why I am not looking to upgrade my razor or blades at this moment in time, as my main focus is on the prep (cream or soap). I have taken all of your comments on board and I will be digging a little deeper when I get the chance. On a side note the Treet blades seem to work very well for me so its a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Another side note is that my black all-metal razor looks very sexy in the bathroom (as well as providing the fundamentals; a quality shave) so I have no need to upgrade it right now. As mentioned before my focus is on a quality cream or soap. I am not intent on changing my razor or blades at the moment.

Having said that, I appreciate everybody's feedback! So please feel free to give me whatever feedback you may have!

Jason.

There is a dedicated mens shaving shop in Jermyn Street which is off Lower Regent Street, Central London called 'Taylor Of Old Bond Street'. I've seen their website but never been in there myself. I'll think I'll take a trip there when its my next day off from work.

YES. LOL. That would be the chief reason for our jealousy. LOL

Thats what I had in mind. I just want something that lathers up easily and provides a nice lubricated foundation for my razor with the minimum of fuss. I have assumed soaps dry out quicker than creams; hence me veering more towards creams than soaps.

Jason.
I am a new DE shaver as well and am leaning to creams for the present. There is more technique required for soaps. They may be better in the long run but creams lather easily. I tried soap a few times but just cannot seem to get the consistency right. It takes some practice. Meantime just get used to the razor and blade. You don't need to introduce too many variables all at once.

YES. LOL. That would be the chief reason for our jealousy. LOL
When I do visit there I will mention it on this thread. As mentioned before I am in the market from some quality shaving cream/soap and I have taken all replies from this thread on board.

I am not sure if this belongs in a seperate thread but I am really keen to try a slant bar razor as my chin hair is really tough and wirey. I have read on numerous sources that a slant bar razor will easily deal with this type of hair. I do know how a slant bar razor works as I've done a lot of research on it. Has anyone on this thread used a slant bar razor? I am really keen to hear your feedback on it.

Kind regards. Jason.

Top Bottom