What's new

I am looking for metal razors that feel similar to the black plastic Wilkinson Sword razor

Hi all :)

OK so I've been using one of these black plastic WS razors for I think over a decade by this point.

serveimage (3).jpg

(here it is in a video so you can see it fully)

Recently I've gotten more into all this and decided to purchase the metal WS razor...

proxy-image (4).jpg

but I found it to be... I dunno. It seems to tug more when I shave, seems to have alignment issues which the plastic one doesn't have, and just doesn't feel the same in general (in my opinion it feels worse but it could be an individual thing).

So... I was just wondering what higher quality, metal razors might feel similar to the plastic one I'm used to? I've heard that Parker, Merkur and Rockwell are all good? I've also only been using good quality razor blades recently. Up until now the WS ones but I have ordered some Feather and Astra blades online to try them out.

OK well that's about it! Oh, in case it matters the shaving foam I was using was a Nivea for Men one. Seems fine.

Thanks all!

I also have two plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razors and the metal ones that feel the most similar are Merkur Futur and its QShave clone. The difference is that these are adjustable razors. If you don't have too much money to spend I'd say go with QShave/Mingshi 2000. They're affordable and made as solid as the real thing. Just a tiny bit lighter, which is even more faithful to the Wilkinson. The only downsides are that for Chinese clones you'll need to wait for a month to get your order and for both the clone and the original you'll need to get used to doing multiple passes under your nose, as the heads are quite big.

I also have two plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razors and the metal ones that feel the most similar are Merkur Futur and its QShave clone. The difference is that these are adjustable razors. If you don't have too much money to spend I'd say go with QShave/Mingshi 2000. They're affordable and made as solid as the real thing. Just a tiny bit lighter, which is even more faithful to the Wilkinson. The only downsides are that for Chinese clones you'll need to wait for a month to get your order and for both the clone and the original you'll need to get used to doing multiple passes under your nose, as the heads are quite big.

Ah wow that is very similar :eek:

Thank you as that looks like a good one although yes quite pricey so I see what you mean about maybe choosing a clone!

I just want to specify though that when I said "feel" I really just meant... the way it feels on your skin when you're shaving, as opposed to the feel of it in your hands. Maybe that's more things like aggressiveness, style of the safety bar, etc :)

Thank you as that looks like a good one although yes quite pricey so I see what you mean about maybe choosing a clone!

I just want to specify though that when I said "feel" I really just meant... the way it feels on your skin when you're shaving, as opposed to the feel of it in your hands. Maybe that's more things like aggressiveness, style of the safety bar, etc :)
I understand now. Well, they are pretty similar in feel as well, but the Wilkinson has more blade exposure. Haven't used mine in a while but I distinctly remember it being more aggressive because of the blade exposure (even though it has the blade ends covered). But you can adjust and dial those in to suit you better.
Not really sure what other recommendations to make. I have several razors but each has its own identity and feel.
I'll leave it to the other more experienced members to input their opinion.

Welcome to B&B.
OK so I've been using one of these black plastic WS razors for I think over a decade by this point.
..Recently I've gotten more into all this and decided to purchase the metal WS razor...
but I found it to be... I dunno. It seems to tug more when I shave, seems to have alignment issues which the plastic one doesn't have, and just doesn't feel the same in general (in my opinion it feels worse but it could be an individual thing).
I heard the Wilkinson Sword TTO {made by Weishi} shaves well so maybe you need to adjust to it. It does have the longer handle so that may throw you off. Astra SP, GSB , 7 O'Clock SharpEdge are some of the blades you should try.
Merkur 34C , Edwin Jagger DE89 or Fatip open comb {Piccolo or Grande} razors should be worth considering. Don't know what region you are in but if USA, why not try the new KingC Gillette from Walgreens as it will shave similar to the 34C and DE89.

The Wilkinson Sword Classic was my first razor when I started shaving as a teenager. I never found it aggressive enough - in my mind it's a very mild razor. My thoughts are based on unreliable memories. I still have mine though. I might give it a spin.

In my head the profile reminds me of Rockwell 6C on the lower plates. Alternatively if you are looking for a good value stainless razor then the Razorock Mamba or the Gamechanger are of similar mildness.

@AimlessWanderer is a long term user of the Classic and I believe he moved to the Edwin Jagger. He may have good perspective on this.

I think part of the feel of the Wilky is precisely because it's plastic - it seems to glide over the skin much more easily than a metal razor if lather is absent/thin. Almost self-lubricating.

I've been messing around with a spare trying to turn it into a three-piece with a nylon M5 rod and a big washer. First attempt didn't work too great after the epoxy didn't hold on a simple butt joint. V2 with a larger bonding area is almost ready for testing. I'll be sure to post something if I ever do get it working.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Wilkinson Sword Classic was my first razor when I started shaving as a teenager. I never found it aggressive enough - in my mind it's a very mild razor. My thoughts are based on unreliable memories. I still have mine though. I might give it a spin.

In my head the profile reminds me of Rockwell 6C on the lower plates. Alternatively if you are looking for a good value stainless razor then the Razorock Mamba or the Gamechanger are of similar mildness.

@AimlessWanderer is a long term user of the Classic and I believe he moved to the Edwin Jagger. He may have good perspective on this.

Thanks for the shout, Kit.

Yes, I used that razor and the matching blades exclusively for over 20 years. When I finally moved to a metal razor, it was an Edwin Jagger DE3D14 (though they all have the same head). That Jagger is still my primary razor today. It's not quite as mild as the Wilkie, but not much more aggressive. A very balanced razor in terms of efficiency and comfort in my opinion.

There is still going to be an adjustment period with any razor change after 10 years, with slight changes needed on the handling etc. The chrome cap can be a little "clingy" in terms of friction on the skin compared to the Wilkie, as Weean mentioned. If your lather is half decent though, you won't have a problem.

The blades I prefer in the Jagger are Wilkinson Sword Classic, Feather, Astra SP, Derby Premium, and Gillette SharpEdge.

Hi all :)

View attachment 1100186

(here it is in a video so you can see it fully)

Recently I've gotten more into all this and decided to purchase the metal WS razor...

View attachment 1100187

So... I was just wondering what higher quality, metal razors might feel similar to the plastic one I'm used to? I've heard that Parker, Merkur and Rockwell are all good? I've also only been using good quality razor blades recently. Up until now the WS ones but I have ordered some Feather and Astra blades online to try them out.

OK well that's about it! Oh, in case it matters the shaving foam I was using was a Nivea for Men one. Seems fine.

Thanks all!

The Wilkenson sword you've been using is a mild razor. In my opinion one of the very best mild razors is a vintage Gillette tech. You can usually pick up a good one for 10 to 20 bucks. It's all brass so it won't corrode like some of the zamak razors mentioned above. It's about the best value in shaving.

@glm38 @Quaznoid Looks good yeah guys... definitely high on the ol' list! It's at a very low price on ebay and looks like a solid razor.

It's silly really that I don't just stick with this WS one but... would be great to use a metal razor! Perhaps the metal WS is simply more aggressive and I like the mildness of the plastic one. I'm not sure but yes I did hear it was quite mild.

Perhaps as long as I stick to mild, high quality razors I can't go too far wrong?

Although I do appreciate good blade alignment too for sure! I heard that even good quality and popular razors like the Merkur 34C can have alignment issues? Seems strange doesn't it when this plastic one aligns the blade very well - better than the metal WS! :)

Hoppimike, the Tech has 5 points of blade engagement, unique among all razor designs. Perfect alignment guaranteed

@glm38 @Quaznoid Looks good yeah guys... definitely high on the ol' list! It's at a very low price on ebay and looks like a solid razor.

It's silly really that I don't just stick with this WS one but... would be great to use a metal razor! Perhaps the metal WS is simply more aggressive and I like the mildness of the plastic one. I'm not sure but yes I did hear it was quite mild.

Perhaps as long as I stick to mild, high quality razors I can't go too far wrong?

Although I do appreciate good blade alignment too for sure! I heard that even good quality and popular razors like the Merkur 34C can have alignment issues? Seems strange doesn't it when this plastic one aligns the blade very well - better than the metal WS! :)

I agree with your statement that it's hard to go wrong with a good quality mild razor. That's certainly the case for me. I have quite a number of them at various price points that I like. Some just a little more than others. If I were forced to choose 1 razor it would be a gillette tech. #2 would be the most expensive razor in my collection the feather as D2. Some people like merkur razors. I'm not one of them. To me they are overpriced for a zamak razor that is prone to corrosion.

I agree with your statement that it's hard to go wrong with a good quality mild razor. That's certainly the case for me. I have quite a number of them at various price points that I like. Some just a little more than others. If I were forced to choose 1 razor it would be a gillette tech. #2 would be the most expensive razor in my collection the feather as D2. Some people like merkur razors. I'm not one of them. To me they are overpriced for a zamak razor that is prone to corrosion.

Ah wow interesting. I don't know much about the different materials yet but I'm sure I will learn that :)

I found this on ebay... a Feather razor so cheap! I wonder if it's good.

Ah wow interesting. I don't know much about the different materials yet but I'm sure I will learn that :)

The Feather Popular is a very mild razor that shaves quite well. However, it is made from a combination of metal and plastic components. I would not let that deter you, though.

I have one and its a good razor for me, gives a nice shave and it almost feels like I can't cut myself when using it.

I can't compare how aggressive it is as I've only used 2 safety razors but I found it to be a pretty well built razor with a decent travel case for a good price. I have 0 idea how it compares to your Wilkinson.

The Feather Popular is a very mild razor that shaves quite well. However, it is made from a combination of metal and plastic components. I would not let that deter you, though.

Ah yeah true. I mean... normally that wouldn't put me off but one of the main things I want to do is make the switch from a plastic razor to metal because... I dunno. I'd just like to, haha :)

I wouldn't mind if it was just part of the handle but it looks in the pictures like the safety bar is made of plastic even if most of the head isn't. How strange!

I guess that puts the Gillette back on top!

In the long run I'm sure I'll amass a little collection as there are lots of cool-looking ones out there, but just for now it would be great to just have one dependable metal one that I really like! I think the Tech is looking like a safe bet :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Don't rule out the Edwin Jagger. I tried a Tech, but passed it on. It was a chance find on a weekend away, but it didn't have the feel nor efficiency of the Jagger. After 20+ years with the Wilkie Classic, I got the Jagger and a Parker butterfly opener, and the Jagger has been my primary razor ever since.

A lot of the haters decry the zinc alloy construction, and yes, they don't last forever. I recently replaced my top cap after 6 or 7 years use, and it cost me £7.50 with a free pack of Feather blades thrown in. I have no problem paying that every 6 or 7 years to keep this razor working.

In fairness, I haven't tried that many others, but haven't needed to. I gave away that Parker, tried that Tech and gave that away, got PIFed a Fatip and gave that away too. I have a Merkur 41C and 985, which are open comb, and quite mild. They both work well for me too, but the Jagger still has the edge. To be honest, I only got the 41C so I had a spare head for the 985, and a spare handle for the Jagger.

The only other two DEs I have, are a birth quarter Gillette Super Slim Twist (the only special thing about it is that it came into the world in the same three month window that I did), and a Razorine which is a very different razor altogether. Of all of those, the Jagger feels most like the natural successor to the Wilkie, just a little bit less mild.

Don't rule out the Edwin Jagger. I tried a Tech, but passed it on. It was a chance find on a weekend away, but it didn't have the feel nor efficiency of the Jagger. After 20+ years with the Wilkie Classic, I got the Jagger and a Parker butterfly opener, and the Jagger has been my primary razor ever since.

A lot of the haters decry the zinc alloy construction, and yes, they don't last forever. I recently replaced my top cap after 6 or 7 years use, and it cost me £7.50 with a free pack of Feather blades thrown in. I have no problem paying that every 6 or 7 years to keep this razor working.

In fairness, I haven't tried that many others, but haven't needed to. I gave away that Parker, tried that Tech and gave that away, got PIFed a Fatip and gave that away too. I have a Merkur 41C and 985, which are open comb, and quite mild. They both work well for me too, but the Jagger still has the edge. To be honest, I only got the 41C so I had a spare head for the 985, and a spare handle for the Jagger.

The only other two DEs I have, are a birth quarter Gillette Super Slim Twist (the only special thing about it is that it came into the world in the same three month window that I did), and a Razorine which is a very different razor altogether. Of all of those, the Jagger feels most like the natural successor to the Wilkie, just a little bit less mild.

It does sound good yeah. I guess I was keen to go with a brand I knew and... also I'd heard so many good things about Parker, Merkur and Rockwell that I was keen to buy one of those.

That being said it would be silly of me to buy a razor by one of them just for the name if it's actually not the best choice for me.

It seems I can get a Tech for about £12 over here in the UK and a Jagger for... well, £20 used. Normally I wouldn't go for a used razor but I mean hey the Tech would be used, lol. So I guess that shouldn't put me off as long as I clean it.

In my experience when buying something like this I usually have to buy a few things before I find one I like, and that can happen whether I spend a lot or a little on each one, within reason.

I might end up just forming a little short-list of good but affordable razors and buying them over time to try them out :)

Both of these are very affordable :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If you do go for a Jagger, get a new one. On the off chance there is an issue, they'll sort it for you. With a used one, you don't know how much wear they've already put in it. It'll probably only cost you another fiver or so for brand spanking new.

Top Bottom