What's new

I am looking for an aftershave with menthol cooling + strong lime/citrus scent

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The thread basically says it all, gentlemen.
I am looking for an aftershave with menthol cooling + strong lime/citrus scent. To be more precise, I quite like Williams Aqua Velva but it is a bit one dimensional. I also love simple citrus or lime scents, this in addition to some cooling would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your directions and recommendations! P.S. the aftershave doesn't have to be cheap. If you happen to know a luxury aftershave with these characteristics, fire away!

Have I got a suggestion for you!

Mix Pinaud Citrus Musk with Jeris Osage Rub. How much Osage Rub to use depends on how cool you want to go. I'd suggest starting with 4:1 Citrus Musk to Osage Rub to start with. You can add more Osage Rub to get the menthol where you like it. Optionally, add a bit of witch hazel and a few drops of vegetable glycerin.

Both of the components are very inexpensive. I'd suggest recycling a glass bottle from another aftershave or perhaps from the kitchen. Crystal hot sauce bottles work well once thoroughly cleaned.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
A couple come to mind. Keep in mind that citrus/lime is a tough one to have long lasting scent.

Stirling Orange Chill
Stirling Gin and Tonic (menthol version)
Fine Italian Citrus
WSP Citrus Blast (menthol version)
Pinaud Citrus Musk (with added menthol or osage (as mentioned above)). I like Lime Sec, but the scent is gone in minutes.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Thank you!

The idea of mixing scents/shaves didn't come to me, but it's intriguing!

Limacol seems spot on, getting it in Europe unfortunately a bit involved. But let's see!

Pinaud in various versions is known to me, and readily available.

I will report back in a while! 👍
Thanks for the many useful suggestions.

Best lime scent I've had by a mile is Sea Spice Lime by Seaforth! I love Stirling's A/S, but this one blows those out of the water in quality and length of effect. A few drops of menthol additive would probably fit the bill for you.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The thread basically says it all, gentlemen.
I am looking for an aftershave with menthol cooling + strong lime/citrus scent. To be more precise, I quite like Williams Aqua Velva but it is a bit one dimensional. I also love simple citrus or lime scents, this in addition to some cooling would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your directions and recommendations! P.S. the aftershave doesn't have to be cheap. If you happen to know a luxury aftershave with these characteristics, fire away!
Proraso Green.

Find your preferred AS by scent, then add menthol crystals until it is chilly enough. They will dissolve easily in alcohol. For a neutral super chill AS I just added menthol crystals to an airline bottle of vodka. Just remember, you can always add more menthol, but you can't take it back out.
A84AFF39-6F5F-4700-9751-37A63A957346.jpeg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Proraso Green.
😳 Now that's a way to hit the nail on the head and deliver the news! 👍

Indeed... you might have nailed it. I mean the difference between lemon and citrus is already beyond my sensibilities, so why not try menthol & eucalyptus.

The last time I used Proraso was when I had just two razors years ago, a R89 and a R41.

Time to revisit... I am still trying to get Limacol, though. 😀

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Goodfellas smile do both a lime and orange aftershave both of which are a really clean citrus smell. Then just add menthol crystals a bit at a time to get the nice cooling sensation. Personally I have mine that the water streams out of my eyes but after a couple of minutes its like you've got your face stuck in a freezer ;)

Reactions: jmd

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
For the summer, I had good success adding menthol crystals to Pinaud Clubman Lime. Added some extra glycerin, too, to enhance its after shave performance.

Have fun.

Reactions: jmd
Thank you!

The idea of mixing scents/shaves didn't come to me, but it's intriguing!

Limacol seems spot on, getting it in Europe unfortunately a bit involved. But let's see!

Pinaud in various versions is known to me, and readily available.

I will report back in a while! 👍
Thanks for the many useful suggestions.
Ethnic hair supply stores stock Limacol and Alcolado Glacial in the UK.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Proraso Green and Don Draper Green arrived today! Together with a bottle of Remy Martin, which I already sampled.
Can't wait to drink the aftershave and... sorry. :clown:

Will shave in the next 24 hours, so let's see. I also found a source of menthol crystals should I feel like mixing my own aftershave. Limacol and similar aftershaves are strangely enough hard to get locally, such a pity!

Top Bottom