What's new

I am guilty of using too much soap per shave

1 neat thing about Arko, when you do a thin single swipe of the stick over the shaving area you always think it's not going to be enough. Then you work it with a damp brush and BOOM an explosion of lather....and you always have just a little bit of later left in the brush to do a few more passes if needs be.

Every. single. time.

^^^ This right here is so true. The first time I used Arko I was pretty liberal with how much I painted on my face and once I hit it with the brush it just kept building and building and building. It was like the the soap had a mind of it's own and was producing lather out of thin air. after a three pass shave with a full lather each time I am pretty sure I could have done another full three pass shave.

I currently have eight fairly new 4-5 ounce tubs sitting on my bathroom counter as well as 4 or 5 Stirling samples. as an every other day or twice a week shaver that soap will last me for a really long time so I have no issues with over loading my brush. I know it wont go bad in most cases but if I don't use it up it will take me longer to try other soaps.

I'm with the others.

Be frugal if you want to; it's your soap and it's your life. But as for me and my house, we will load it like crazy and wash a ton of leftover lather down the drain when we're done.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Load it like I hate it? If I hated it, I wouldn't load it at all, I'd throw it in the rubbish bin. If I like it, I don't want to waste it.

I use enough, and no more. That's typically four shaves per gram in hard soaps, and at least two in softer soaps. Creams generally don't need me to use more than 1ml. If I misjudge it, there's no harm, embarrassment nor penalty, in going back for more.

More product is time wasted, effort wasted, money wasted, and all with zero benefit. In fact if I use too much product, my shave quality does downhill not uphill.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Load it like I hate it? If I hated it, I wouldn't load it at all, I'd throw it in the rubbish bin. If I like it, I don't want to waste it.

I use enough, and no more. That's typically four shaves per gram in hard soaps, and at least two in softer soaps. Creams generally don't need me to use more than 1ml. If I misjudge it, there's no harm, embarrassment nor penalty, in going back for more.

More product is time wasted, effort wasted, money wasted, and all with zero benefit. In fact if I use too much product, my shave quality does downhill not uphill.
Yep, maybe that's why I have "evolved" into using pucks like I would use a shave stick. I get A REALLY great shave that way, quickly and cheaply (for ME!) As always your miles per gallon may differ.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am on a current kick where I like to press a small amount of whatever soap/croap I favor that day into the bottom center of the Captain's Choice Copper Bowl.

Soak my brush with water. Shake. Build huge volumes of lather and work it around my face.

No muss, no fuss, great lather every time.

YMMV

I'm a lot happier with my shaves since I switched to using larger brushes and a bit more soap per shave. Not intentionally being wasteful but not exactly skimping here either. It's just a much better experience all together for me.

Once you own a nice razor and brush the consumables like soap, blades and aftershaves aren't all that expensive.

Using too much shave soap/cream is fine honestly, even with excess use (like double what you need) most would still get at least 6 months of daily use out of a standard tub. The problem is that using too much reduces the quality of the shave. The point of soap is to keep water on the face. If there is too much soap you won't have any glide (it'll be sticky), the 'lather' will just be whipped up soap and not a mix of soap+water (therefore, no protection) and obviously, these products have moisturisers in them but they aren't designed to moisturise the face so at the end of the day it'll just dry you out unnecessarily. I use more soap than I need for my two passes but I also use more water than I need too. As long as you keep the right ratio and you aren't trying to be frugal, its not a problem imo

I like my bathroom to look like this in the morning.
27AA1781-16B8-4EE7-80C3-3FD76FCD025D.jpeg

Top Bottom