What's new

I am guilty of using too much soap per shave

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Maybe I'm just guilty of getting too many shaves per soap...?

That’s no sin; that’s skill. Using soap in sparing or ‘optimal’ amounts is only a sin if overusing it gives you hedonistic glee.

If you’re actually content to whirl only enough Saint James of London or Mitchell’s Wool Fat on your brush for 2-3 passes and a comforting post-shave feel, then that’s virtue.

Though, using more than needed for one’s shave and using the leftovers to resemble the Cella guy or a yeti would certainly help in scaring off entitled racing pigeons from your residence.

I will never give up on my quest to teach the world to sing the praises of Arko

It was curiosity about the negative comments regarding its scent (which my uncultured sniffer detects as Ivory soap + a little patchouli) that got me to try it. Ease of use and performance has made it a favorite. If William’s wasn’t too generous with their citronella, I would’ve tried that one, too.

Part of that could be used for your preaching

Arko: so easy to use even Thom doesn’t screw it up.

I just attack the hard soaps like there’s no tomorrow

Is Arko a hard soap? It feels like I could bite through it like nothing.

I'm now in the "it's just soap" camp regardless of how much I have available or how much I paid for it. I don't consider it wasteful if I enjoy the shave. Any leftover lather represents fractions of a gram and hardly enough to lose sleep over. I figure if I ever run out of soap and can't afford to buy more, I'll just sell my remaining shaving gear and grow a beard; at that point I'd be more concerned with food and shelter than being clean-shaven. I'd probably keep at least one razor and one brush just in case times got better and/or I needed to clean up for a job interview.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm now in the "it's just soap" camp regardless of how much I have available or how much I paid for it. I don't consider it wasteful if I enjoy the shave. Any leftover lather represents fractions of a gram and hardly enough to lose sleep over. I figure if I ever run out of soap and can't afford to buy more, I'll just sell my remaining shaving gear and grow a beard; at that point I'd be more concerned with food and shelter than being clean-shaven. I'd probably keep at least one razor and one brush just in case times got better and/or I needed to clean up for a job interview.
EXCELLENT reasoning my friend! At the end of my mortal life I'm sure I'll not be mad about wasting soap....but in the NOW..... I have to get past my youth to be able to enjoy extravagance!

Which is stupid. Which makes ME stupid, lol!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That’s no sin; that’s skill. Using soap in sparing or ‘optimal’ amounts is only a sin if overusing it gives you hedonistic glee.

If you’re actually content to whirl only enough Saint James of London or Mitchell’s Wool Fat on your brush for 2-3 passes and a comforting post-shave feel, then that’s virtue.

Though, using more than needed for one’s shave and using the leftovers to resemble the Cella guy or a yeti would certainly help in scaring off entitled racing pigeons from your residence.

It was curiosity about the negative comments regarding its scent (which my uncultured sniffer detects as Ivory soap + a little patchouli) that got me to try it. Ease of use and performance has made it a favorite. If William’s wasn’t too generous with their citronella, I would’ve tried that one, too.

Part of that could be used for your preaching

Arko: so easy to use even Thom doesn’t screw it up.

Is Arko a hard soap? It feels like I could bite through it like nothing.
I would definitely consider Arko in the puck form a hard soap. You could always test out your theory and report back any relevant findings. I’m guessing the stick I have is softer, but don’t know as I haven’t been able to make a dent in the puck despite consistent effort.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
When I found out the puck had the same ingredients as the stick, my mind quavered. Now you’re telling me it’s even harder and I find myself at a loss.

Not going to bite the soap. Doesn’t smell like marzipan.

Sometimes I use too much but it rewards me with superb cushiony protection for my face. I think it’s better to use too much so that you don’t have to lather up more if not using enough.
PS: Soap is cheap, it’s meant to be used up.

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom