What's new

I am guilty of using too much soap per shave

Tonight I decided to use only a bare minimum of soap and see how far I could stretch it, to see if I could get a full lather with it, adding a little bit of water repeatedly until the desired result is achieved. Well, yeah, turns out I'm a wasteful inefficient bastard when it comes to lathering. I use way, way too much soap normally.

Gonna be much more efficient from now on!

1 neat thing about Arko, when you do a thin single swipe of the stick over the shaving area you always think it's not going to be enough. Then you work it with a damp brush and BOOM an explosion of lather....and you always have just a little bit of later left in the brush to do a few more passes if needs be.

Every. single. time.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1 neat thing about Arko, when you do a thin single swipe of the stick over the shaving area you always think it's not going to be enough. Then you work it with a damp brush and BOOM an explosion of lather....and you always have just a little bit of later left in the brush to do a few more passes if needs be.

Every. single. time.
I once said there’s ‘no such thing as too much.’ Correction: ‘Except in the case of Arko, there’s no such thing as too much.’ :pipe:

I like shaving sticks & face lathering. It's a two-stage process: first "paint" in some water, a little bit at a time, to make a slick cream and then scrub vigorously to build up a lather.

More soap needs more water and that takes longer to work in so I try not to use more than I need.

I once tried to weigh the amount of Arko I was using per shave. My scales are accurate to about +/-2g (I think) but I couldn't measure any difference in weight even after a few days.

I used to do that also, until I ran into a soap that was tougher to load, one being Mitchell's Wool Fat, learning (by accident) how ideal lather should be (for me). At that point, I realized overloading my other soaps was:

a) drying out my face
b) reducing glide
c) wasting soap
d) wasting time

I now used all triple-milled products that barely need to be loaded, in my case a thin coat of film from a shave stick to the face, to give me enough lather for 2 delightfully slick and protective passes and touch-ups.

While I generally like to be frugal and efficient, shaving soap is an exception: too much is just enough. I use what’s left at the end of the shave for a face massage before rinsing and then witch hazel/aftershave.

I like doing that too, but I never have enough time anymore. 🙁

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think I'm a minimalist, but when done shaving with a 2 pass with pick ups I still have enough for another complete shave out of the bowl I calculate. I let my small plastic container over flow of stubble and used soap & then I rinse out my brush and use the excess water and clean soap collected in the small Glade plastic sandwich container(used to protect my razors & swish stubble soap) and use the soapy water to clean my sink area & mirror of splashes and hang out the reusable towels to dry for another session. Nothing really gets wasted that way and sink area is always clean & keeps the Warden happier.
20180618_181002_crop_707x488[83843] (2).jpg
Plastic rinsing bowl 2.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Top Bottom