What's new

I am firmly convinced that...

Does everyone think that Gillette really does three different production runs at their plants?
Of course not.

It’s probably more considering all the blades that come out of PPI.

An automated line can easily be setup to use a different recipe and packaging to kit a variety of finished goods. We’re talking variances in the metallurgy of the raw material or finishing steps.

The general process to create and stamp blades would be fairly routine.

To give you an example, I supported a manufacturing facility where the finished good was identical in material and assembly process. With the exception of a subtle difference in using a SS vs Titanium marker bead constituted an equivalent but different end product.

Both made on the same finished good lines and both marketed for sale in the same global regions.

@South Dakota Guy was kind enough to share his eye test photos post #27 at the above link. Take a look for yourselves at his results :)

Remember that production off a single production line will always be subject to a certain amount of quality variation. I worked in a paper mill and products often fell into two categories: a. Premium product that met all of the quality specifications and b. Product that met most of the quality specifications, but did not quite make all the specs for premium. That product was sold into generic products. In many cases the paper is so consistent that even the generic product met premium specs.

I suspect the same thing happens in a razor blade factory. Thus, when comparing a tuck of King C Gillette, to a tuck of Gillette Platinum in light blue packaging to a tuck of Gillette Platinum in dark blue packaging, the blades might all come from the same line. If you were to test 1000 blades, you might be able to distinguish a statistical difference between them. However, if you are only testing a few blades, I suspect the blades would be considered the same within statistical variability. That is why some people think KCG are the best, some think GP Light Blue are the best, and some think GP Dark Blue are the best. The differences people ascertain are based on their limited sampling of the blades.

To me, BIC Chrome Platinum blades are super sharp and super smooth, yet I have seen reports that say BIC CP blades are awful. Either the dull blades failed to meet spec (yes, off-spec product is not caught by the inspection process and gets shipped) or they are at the lower limits of the acceptable variation.

In some quality circles you will hear the term "six sigma". At the 2 sigma level, there will be 308,000 defects per million units. At the 3 sigma level, there will be 66,800 defects per million. At the 6 sigma level, there will be only 3.4 defects per million. The 6 sigma level is about as close to perfection as any manufacturing process can get. Most are not nearly that good. To put this in perspective, the chances of drawing a Royal Flush in poker (1/649,740) is like 1.53 per million hands dealt.

I don't know if they do or not but it's common practice in most industries. A blade is a simple thing to custom make with today's machinery. So it is possible!
A few weeks ago, @gdawg55 ran a test of the white and blues separately for a week and he says that the blades were definitely different.
Yep,..the blue box blades have become my go to of late. Very good performers.

I think this is way more prevalent in the DE razor blade world than many would like to believe.

Duff.jpg

Remember that production off a single production line will always be subject to a certain amount of quality variation. I worked in a paper mill and products often fell into two categories: a. Premium product that met all of the quality specifications and b. Product that met most of the quality specifications, but did not quite make all the specs for premium. That product was sold into generic products. In many cases the paper is so consistent that even the generic product met premium specs.

I suspect the same thing happens in a razor blade factory. Thus, when comparing a tuck of King C Gillette, to a tuck of Gillette Platinum in light blue packaging to a tuck of Gillette Platinum in dark blue packaging, the blades might all come from the same line. If you were to test 1000 blades, you might be able to distinguish a statistical difference between them. However, if you are only testing a few blades, I suspect the blades would be considered the same within statistical variability. That is why some people think KCG are the best, some think GP Light Blue are the best, and some think GP Dark Blue are the best. The differences people ascertain are based on their limited sampling of the blades.

To me, BIC Chrome Platinum blades are super sharp and super smooth, yet I have seen reports that say BIC CP blades are awful. Either the dull blades failed to meet spec (yes, off-spec product is not caught by the inspection process and gets shipped) or they are at the lower limits of the acceptable variation.

In some quality circles you will hear the term "six sigma". At the 2 sigma level, there will be 308,000 defects per million units. At the 3 sigma level, there will be 66,800 defects per million. At the 6 sigma level, there will be only 3.4 defects per million. The 6 sigma level is about as close to perfection as any manufacturing process can get. Most are not nearly that good. To put this in perspective, the chances of drawing a Royal Flush in poker (1/649,740) is like 1.53 per million hands dealt.
Yes there are control limits, but given today’s full automation suites and continuous process monitoring, those are tolerances are already very tight.

Yes. a modern razor blade factory such as Dorco built in Vietnam might have optical inspection equipment, etc. However, many of the DE blade lines in use today are decades old and might not have all the modern bells and whistles.

On my face the KCGs feel the same as light blue platinums. Any differences are subtle enough that I don’t care. Both blades are top tier and I’d suggest purchasing whichever is available and most economical to the individual. Can’t go wrong with either.

I did a comparison with a microscope a while back. These blades are definitely not similar. The grind might be, but the coating is different. I am not sure it is worth it to repeat it, because people seemed to have made up their minds already.
If there is any interest in this I could compare the blades again.

I did a comparison with a microscope a while back. These blades are definitely not similar. The grind might be, but the coating is different. I am not sure it is worth it to repeat it, because people seemed to have made up their minds already.
If there is any interest in this I could compare the blades again.
Conduct another comparison/contrast test (along with microscopic pictures for evidence) and re-present it in this thread.

I would be interested in the results.

This is fascinating. I see that the KCG blade has a less-than-even edge, while the Gillette Platinum has a more precise dual-bevel to it.

This may be worth a "shave-test" investigation, but the price for a large quantity of KCG blades ($60.00 per 100-count) may prove prohibitive.
I have never shave tested any KCG blades. Just from the edge inspection I would assume the KCG is a little sharper, but less durable. The Platinum blade seems to have a little more obtuse micro bevel. This might indicate a little less keen blade, but smoother and more durable.
I think the microbevel angle on different blades have an influence on how well they work in different razors. The Perma-sharp blade and the KCG have a single bevel, whie e.g. a Feather have 3 bevels. Most other DE blades have one micro bevel.

I'll be taking delivery of my 2nd 100-count package of Gillette Platinum blades this afternoon. I'll let you know how they compare to the 5-count package of KCG blades that came with the KGC razor.

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom